60/60 Declined!?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Geefiasco
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

60/60 Declined!?

Post by Geefiasco »

I ordered a C63 Sealander GMT on a rubber strap 2 weeks ago.

I was unsure about the size of it initially. I tried it on once then put it back in the box immediately... a few days pass and I do the exact same thing before deciding to return it.

Yesterday I received a email from CW stating they cannot offer me a full refund as the watch is no longer in 'pristine' condition, but can offer me 70% of the cost back.

I was absolutely gobsmacked, shocked! I rung them right away and they informed me that there are scratches on the caseback and will send photos to me via email (which I'm still waiting for).

Has anyone had a similar issue? I'm certain these were not caused by myself as I literally tried it on twice, the watch did not touch any surface other than my wrist and the box it arrived in! It's ironic as I've returned a number of watches to CW over the past 10 months due to defects, including a scratched bracelet!

It's really disheartening as I love the brand, but feel like I'm being done-over. If I'm unable to get my full refund I may cancel my C60 Elite pre-order and go for another brand.
The highest human act is to inspire.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: 60/60 Declined!?

Post by scooter »

Oh dear.

Having been on the Forum over 10 years I can't remember a similar problem.

Hope you get it sorted.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

From my experience I think its a lottery as to how helpful or borderline useless customer services are, depending on who deals with your job.
Some are absolute legends. Some are the polar opposite. Looks like you got the latter unfortunately. Id question it though based on the circs you have outlined.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

So how long was the watch in question on your wrist? If it's 10 mins then I wouldn't be happy, if it's 10 hours then that's a different matter.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Did your watch have a sticker on the caseback when you received it and / or when you returned it?
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

I've bought probably 3 CWs that I've been unsure about whether they would be kept or not. With each of those I've either video'd the opening of box, removal of watch and the full condition of the watch or taken still photos of each stage to use as "evidence" if there should be any discussion about condition on return. I've then done just as you have and tried them on 2 or 3 times but without tightening any strap or bracelet.

I've not had problems with any returns so never had to use the video or photos.

Did the caseback have a protective clear plastic cover on it when you took it out of the box?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

If it is exactly as you've described, and I'm sure it is, then I can understand why you are aggrieved.

I wonder if the watch you got had previously been returned by someone else and the marks were not picked up by CW before they then sold it on to you. Did you examine the watch and satisfy yourself it was pristine when you got it?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Geefiasco
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Geefiasco »

Just been on the phone with them to chase up the QC photos and was surprisingly told that the watch also had debris under the bezel and had been returned after 7 weeks... when in fact my order date was August 20th so I knew there had to be a mix-up somewhere.

I pleaded again and stressed the watch had been on my wrist for no longer than 10 minutes in total! It was never laid on any hard surface either... she then said another two colleagues will take a 2nd look - thankfully they went back on their decision and offered me a full refund. I wasn't told why.

Of course I am now pleased, but I seriously think their watches that are returned under 60/60 and then put back up for sale need a much more thorough inspection. As mentioned above I've had brand new orders with bracelet rub marks on them; the wrong bracelet fitted; steel bracelet fitted to a titanium watch; the wrong colour dial watch; minor crown issues and a bezel with ridiculous play which makes me wonder how on earth this was sold to me. I'm not a fussy person and have in fact kept the watches with the minor crown defect and bracelet rub marks, but truthfully they shouldn't have passed their inspection.

Thank you to Katie on customer services, easily the nicest I've dealt with.
The highest human act is to inspire.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

It's always good to get a happy ending!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

CW’s quality control has been an issue going back many years.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Colour us surprised watches get mixed up at CW HQ. Once upon a time they trialled new systems, including a status card that stayed with the watch. I wonder what happened to those initiatives...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

My experience has been that a 60/60 return usually ends up on the pre-owned sales at a discount.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

brash47 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:34 pm My experience has been that a 60/60 return usually ends up on the pre-owned sales at a discount.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
What purchases has that been based on?

Is it a view you have come to because the CW NN watches you have bought have shown signs of previous wear?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Geefiasco wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:06 pm Just been on the phone with them to chase up the QC photos and was surprisingly told that the watch also had debris under the bezel and had been returned after 7 weeks... when in fact my order date was August 20th so I knew there had to be a mix-up somewhere.

I pleaded again and stressed the watch had been on my wrist for no longer than 10 minutes in total! It was never laid on any hard surface either... she then said another two colleagues will take a 2nd look - thankfully they went back on their decision and offered me a full refund. I wasn't told why.
When any idiot should have been able to look at the date you placed your order, the date it was shipped to you, the date when you initiated a return and the date the return was received at CW Towers.
Geefiasco wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:06 pm Of course I am now pleased, but I seriously think their watches that are returned under 60/60 and then put back up for sale need a much more thorough inspection. As mentioned above I've had brand new orders with bracelet rub marks on them; the wrong bracelet fitted; steel bracelet fitted to a titanium watch; the wrong colour dial watch; minor crown issues and a bezel with ridiculous play which makes me wonder how on earth this was sold to me. I'm not a fussy person and have in fact kept the watches with the minor crown defect and bracelet rub marks, but truthfully they shouldn't have passed their inspection.

Honestly I think you're a determined customer to tolerate all that!
Geefiasco wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:06 pm Thank you to Katie on customer services, easily the nicest I've dealt with.
Bravo Katie then :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

brash47 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:34 pm My experience has been that a 60/60 return usually ends up on the pre-owned sales at a discount.
How would you know if a watch you'd returned under 60/60 was subsequently sold in a sale? Have you seen one sold in a sale that had the same serial number as one you returned? I'm sure some returns are sold in a sale, but most are returned to stock according to CW.

Also, CW don't sell pre-owned watches, so there are never any "pre-owned sales". It may sound like semantics, but it's important for any newbies to realise that "nearly new" watches sold by CW are brand new watches with a full 60-month warranty; it's just that they may not be in 100% perfect condition.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr