Incoming: arrival and reveal

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Incoming: arrival and reveal

Post by thomcat00 »

The long and winding road of a ten thousand mile journey has ended. I, too, was lucky enough to spy and buy the C1 Powerglow in the prototype sale in July. Unlike Guy, I live in the USA. My prototype took a much longer journey in both time and space to finally reach me.

With the sale being at the end of July, and this watch being a prototype, documentation had to be specially prepared to ship out the watch. Guy received his and was able to post photos in a week, before mine had been handed off to DHL. Seeing pics in the field was exciting. And my anticipation ramped up. Delivery was slated for mid-August. Then the disappointments started stacking up. Delays in transit. Revised delivery dates. Eventually the watch reached US Customs. DHL did not have the necessary documentation. Calls to DHL. Calls to Christopher Ward. Three times CW sent paperwork to DHL to get the watch through Customs. This after including the original paperwork with the watch when it was shipped out. After ten days, Customs rejects the processing and hands off the package to DHL for a return to the shipper!

Curt words with DHL. I alerted CW of the plight of my non-delivery. Back across the Atlantic to CW it went. CW received the watch and prepared new packaging and documentation. CW sent the watch out at again for its, now, third trip across the ocean. Customer Services assured me all was in order. On handing off the package to Customs, again DHL informed me of a lack of paperwork. My words to DHL were heated and pointed. CW had done all they could to expedite the shipment. DHL eventually located the “missing” paperwork to permit Customs to clear the watch. And I awaited its final steps to me.

So, more than a month from ordering to receipt I can now reveal my good fortune. The watch took a lengthy route: CW to LHR-YYZ-MIA-CIN and back to LHR by unknown steps and ultimately CW. The watch recrossed the ocean once more to MIA-CIN-ROC to me. Pics of the Powerglow come!
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Incoming: arrival and reveal

Post by thomcat00 »

B1B8FDD6-B3A6-4051-A4BC-F8D17B79F56B.jpeg
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

What a story! That will certainly add to the mystique of the watch for you. Tell us about the strap? And post more pics of this most extraordinary of watches!
Drew
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by thomcat00 »

The red strap is from Vario SG - an Italian leather with a bright stainless pin buckle. The C1 came on a black leather, but it called for something brighter especially with the red accenting (date pointer and power indicator) on the dial.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Wow - I eat my nails with anticipation waiting for a watch sent next day delivery within the UK!

Maybe the wait made the watch feel even more special when it finally arrived? It’s certainly a very impressive watch. :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

That's some traveling it did !!
DHL in the States do seem to be quite clueless on how to process CW watches in particular even though in all of the situations I've read so far that CW HAVE included the correct paperwork...
Anyway I'm delighted you finally received your prototype C1 and that you love it.

Enjoy that beautiful watch now :)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Wow, the anticipation would’ve KILLED me with that watch! Congrats!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

CW REALLY needs to find a new carrier for shipments to the United States. I don't think DHL is qualified to manage these shipments.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

Crikey, what an ordeal ..... An extraordinary journey for an extraordinary watch!
You must be relieved!
I was feeling hard done-by because Fedex misplaced a recent purchase from Singapore for 2.5 weeks in a suburb on the other side of town from me but that story bears no comparison to yours..
Congratulations - looking forward to more pics.. :thumbup:
cheers
Ian
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

So glad to see it got there eventually! Congratulations and enjoy your watch. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Wow, what a story, not to mention ordeal. By default I’d say you have something of an aviators watch there, what with all those transatlantic crossings. Love the strap btw.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Lavaine wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:08 am CW REALLY needs to find a new carrier for shipments to the United States. I don't think DHL is qualified to manage these shipments.
I'm inclined to agree with this. DHL need to train their staff better as CW does include the correct paperwork even if it is in an email and my recent experience has 1 watch out of 3 delivered without any problems in the last 12 months. Growth in the US is hard enough with the additional charge due to US Customs but DHL can't be making it easier.

We tend to hear about DHL issues here but I wonder how many transactions actually go through without any issues. Are we the tip of the iceberg or an anomaly?
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I am 1 and 1. One came through with no issues and one was nearly returned due to customs. The one that nearly got returned was ordered by my wife last fall as a gift for me. She told me she had a real tough time getting it sorted. I think her experience would be more representative of someone who hasn't dealt a lot with US customs. It shouldn't be this difficult. I have had a watch in for repair twice this year and cringed both times I had to send it in (different issues each time). It went there and back with no issues each time though.

I would say that if it is happening to us it is happening to other people too. I can also see how the experience would sour some people to the brand even though it isn't technically their fault.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

It sounds like your watch has been on a world tour with that other guy's half links (separate thread) however glad to hear it's finally on the wrist. What a cracking looking watch that Powerglow is. You're a lucky man as I recall only 3 were for sale (Guy got one of them so that's at least 2 on the forum which is good to see).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way