Customs help please

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
dennisbible

Customs help please

Post by dennisbible »

This is the first time I've imported a watch injury the USA that's over $800. DHL says they need me information, as in they need the price breakdown of the watch parts. I paid $990 for the watch with discount, I have no idea what the breakdown would be. Any ideas on how to do that?
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Customs help please

Post by village »

I have to say I’ve never heard of that before. A breakdown of the parts? Sounds ridiculous.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

I'd be tempted to reply with a link to the watch you purchased (I'm guessing you bought it online) and confirm that you have bought a working and complete mechanical watch and ask them what other information they need.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Advice from forumites before has been to contact CW customer service. They provide this information to DPD, and are reliable at doing so. DPD don’t always pick up that info. Customer services will sort it out for you. :thumbup:

Edit : DHL
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
dennisbible

Post by dennisbible »

village wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:16 am I have to say I’ve never heard of that before. A breakdown of the parts? Sounds ridiculous.
Apparently in the US movements, cases, and straps are taxed at different rates. The worksheet DHL sent me asks for the value of each component and a total value.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

dennisbible wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:04 am
village wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:16 am I have to say I’ve never heard of that before. A breakdown of the parts? Sounds ridiculous.
Apparently in the US movements, cases, and straps are taxed at different rates. The worksheet DHL sent me asks for the value of each component and a total value.
Getouttahere! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

If your purchase was a new CW, MissF has given you the best advice possible :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

But honestly, different rates of taxation for the component parts of an assembled product smacks to be of "discouraging imports in favour of the home-grown product". I wonder if Donald wore a shinola? :? :? :?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

missF wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:58 am Advice from forumites before has been to contact CW customer service.

Missf has indeed given you the best advice. This will usually fix the issue.

I have stated this many times.... When CW ships watches to the USA they send DHL a spreadsheet with all the information including the Waybill number for items picked up on any given day. Much depends on the agent viewing the package to simply look up the email by manufacturer and then find the Waybill number. In most cases they do and get all the required information. If they can't find it for any reason, they are supposed to contact CW for it. CW informs me that when they resend the email they usually spot it then.

If they don't contact CW they will likely send you a worksheet like the one below that requires you to fill out and return along with a copy of your CW invoice as well as waybill from DHL.
Watch clock worksheet.jpg
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
dennisbible

Post by dennisbible »

Kip wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:56 am
missF wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:58 am Advice from forumites before has been to contact CW customer service.

I have stated this many times.... When CW ships watches to the USA they send DHL a spreadsheet with all the information including the Waybill number for items picked up on any given day. Much depends on the agent viewing the package to simply look up the email by manufacturer and then find the Waybill number. In most cases they do and get all the required information. If they can't find it for any reason, they are supposed to contact CW for it. CW informs me that when they resend the email they usually spot it then.

If they don't contact CW they will likely send you a worksheet like the one below that requires you to fill out and return along with a copy of your CW invoice as well as waybill from DHL.

DHL sent me the worksheet.
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

dennisbible wrote:
Kip wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:56 am

DHL sent me the worksheet.
Same thing happened with me. You just fill out the sheet and break it down with a percentage movement vs case vs bracelet/strap. The movement is the highest at like 60-70% then case, then strap. These three numbers added up would be the total cost you paid. PM me if you need more help.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk

dennisbible

Post by dennisbible »

Thank you guys. I submitted the form based on your advice. I'll let you know how it goes.
dennisbible

Post by dennisbible »

I wanted to update and get some input. Delivery was scheduled for tomorrow and that clearly isn't gong to happen. I submitted the customs form two days ago and when I track the order it says delayed not by carrier. Is this typical? How long does this usually take?
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

dennisbible wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:59 am I wanted to update and get some input. Delivery was scheduled for tomorrow and that clearly isn't gong to happen. I submitted the customs form two days ago and when I track the order it says delayed not by carrier. Is this typical? How long does this usually take?
Now your watch is likely caught in the Labor Day delay. Shouldn’t take much longer. I’ve had holidays trap my items with Customs for up to 5 days. Annoying but not the end of the world.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

dennisbible wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:59 am I wanted to update and get some input. Delivery was scheduled for tomorrow and that clearly isn't gong to happen. I submitted the customs form two days ago and when I track the order it says delayed not by carrier. Is this typical? How long does this usually take?
Did they acknowledge receipt of the customs form you sent in? As long as they did that you are fine. Just be a day or so delay. Mine took a couple days longer than they originally said. Then DHL claimed they couldn't find my address or that it wasn't a valid address. Took several calls to DHL where they actually looked my address up and sure enough there it was right there on GoogleMaps. They called the driver and I guess explained that my address does in fact exist. The second attempt at delivery wound up getting it to me.