Import tax?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
dennisbible

Import tax?

Post by dennisbible »

How much import tax can I expect to pay in the US for say an $1100 Christopher Ward?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Import tax?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ I'm sure one of our US based members will be along to help shortly but, as far as I'm aware (as I'm in UK), a lot depends on which State you live in and the rate of local Sales Tax.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:37 pm …as far as I'm aware (as I'm in UK), a lot depends on which State you live in and the rate of local Sales Tax.

Guy
Sales tax will not be an issue, just the import duties (which I can’t help you with).

While technically, state sales tax would be owed, it’s self-reported in a case like this. And I don’t know a single person …NOT. A. SINGLE. ONE!… who has EVER self-reported state sales tax! :lol:

Americans just don’t like to pay their taxes, as George III knew all too well.
Drew
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

^^^ All very factual information :lol:

As far as the customs duty, I don’t think anyone knows. Not even the customs agent who’s going to be charging you! I do know that the calculation depends on a few things (like an exhibition case back might add cost because of multiple crystals) and the duty is a percentage of the cost of each part, and the percentage varies etc…

I was charged $42 on an Abyss, $86 for a Super compressor and $136 for a NN moonglow. The Abyss and SC were very close together in terms of purchase price, but more than double the duty.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best?
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I bought a Sandstorm and DHL claimed I owed $192 to them for the $1085 watch. I calmly asked them to itemize and explain the charges. In the process $57 was found to be in error. Some of the “duties” are DHL fees which with arguing can be reduced. The process feels arbitrary and difficult to audit.

I generally figure on 10% for watches over the $800 threshold.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

My most rcent purchase was a C63 Sealander Elite on bracelet at $1695. Duty/DHL fees were ~ $114. Actual import duty should depend upon case material, movement and strap/bracelet type or cost and can vary. If all goes well DHL fees are about $40 of each transaction.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

albionphoto wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:21 am My most rcent purchase was a C63 Sealander Elite on bracelet at $1695. Duty/DHL fees were ~ $114. Actual import duty should depend upon case material, movement and strap/bracelet type or cost and can vary. If all goes well DHL fees are about $40 of each transaction.
Don't forget the experience/attention to detail of the inspector. The harmonized tariff schedule is a real piece of work even for someone who knows what they are doing.

For reference on my Ombré I paid about $135 (purchase price was around $1100). That one had a COSC movement which I think matters in the final calculation. Mine was a couple of years ago too so the schedule may have changed a little since then.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

I was in the $110 range on my last $1,800 purchase. Depends on if they (CW) reports it or if you have to fill out the sheet to declare it. Would have been a little higher if CW had done it - apparently DHL couldn't find the sheet