Sonnerie or repeater in 2022?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Sonnerie or repeater in 2022?

Post by albionphoto »

I just looked at the online edition of Loupe. It seems that CW are hinting at a sonnerie or repeater watch in 2022. Are you excited?
Loupe #22, page 9.

"The same spirit can be found in this as-yet-unnamed
timepiece. But what makes the watch unique is the
combination of haute-horlogerie design and boundary-
pushing movement modification. A modification that will
add a (literal) note of wonder whenever the watch is worn,
and sound as good as it looks. If this ‘chimes’ with you –
well, you’re on the right track.
With a release sometime in late 2022 pencilled in,
there’s a long way to go. Sketches are at the most
rudimentary level (and details are, well, sketchy), but the
goal is to create a calibre modification that will delight
both eyes and ears."
These users thanked the author albionphoto for the post:
NeWard
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Sonnerie or repeater in 2022?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Taking the usual puns at face value, it does seem to indicate some kind of mechanical striking/chiming device.

With absolutely no insider knowledge at this stage, I do have a few thoughts on what this might turn out to be, but I think I will keep them to myself at this stage.

The trouble with speculating and trying to second-guess too much at an early stage is that one tends to build Castles in the Air. I’ve done that myself with a couple of watches that didn’t turn out to be very much like I was expecting or hoping.

But don’t let me stop anyone else from trying. All part of the fun of the forum and life‘s rich tapestry. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Well, that would be an interesting turn up but bonkers from a commercial perspective IMHO, except possibly as an attempt to lift the brand's haute horlogerie credentials. I hope they can pull it off.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

When they talk about 'haute horlogerie', I wonder how much it will differ from the MeisterSinger Bell Hora from a movement perspective given that the SW200 module used in that watch was developed by CW(SH).
I have a sneaking suspicion that the module will be 'adapted' for the SH21.

Look forward to seeing how this one turns out and I'm really pleased that they are bringing out something in the dress category, assuming that's where they are going with it.

The way things are going though, it wouldn't surprise me to see a C60 with a chiming bell marking the end of a dive.
Ryan
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

StrappedUp wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:05 am
The way things are going though, it wouldn't surprise me to see a C60 with a chiming bell marking the end of a dive.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

If CW did an affordable mechanical minute repeater, that would be crazy. More likely is a sonnerie kind of like Meistersinger did a few years ago.

There was a recent thread where the meistersinger was discussed. The sound of it is a flat/flaccid “tunk”. I would enjoy if CW made one with some resonance.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
albionphoto
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Whilst the clues, at face value, may point to the complications mentioned in the title to the thread, it could be something far more practical and simpler to execute.

Something that makes a noise?

A straightforward alarm complication.

Such a complication wouldn’t need to be in a dress style watch.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

When I saw this and read the article in the Loupe that arrived in the post today, I thought of an interesting watch the Vulcain Cricket, an exquisite watch with alarm complication that has been worn by numerous US Presidents. Example of a rather nice one below
Capture.JPG
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

While a sonnerie or repeater would be impressive (and expensive), a nice mechanical alarm would be more practical, and much more reasonably priced.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:57 pm When I saw this and read the article in the Loupe that arrived in the post today, I thought of an interesting watch the Vulcain Cricket, an exquisite watch with alarm complication that has been worn by numerous US Presidents. Example of a rather nice one below

Capture.JPG
I had a look at the Vulcain Cricket a few years ago, Patrick, down at Page & Cooper (when they were around) and it is a delightful watch with a sweet 'ting, ting' for the alarm.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

I must confess to having a very rudimentary understanding of movements but this sounds like it would be a feather in the CW cap.
Like Guy, I spent quite a while looking at Vulcain (with a very knowledgable salesman at CW Sellors) and I was very impressed indeed. I look forward to seeing what comes of this.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Andyshall wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:45 am I must confess to having a very rudimentary understanding of movements but this sounds like it would be a feather in the CW cap.
Like Guy, I spent quite a while looking at Vulcain (with a very knowledgable salesman at CW Sellors) and I was very impressed indeed. I look forward to seeing what comes of this.
Movements on clocks and watches that provide audible signals are actually quite old tech, but in general are regarded as refinements particularly at the higher end of watch and clockmaking.

There is the simple hour strike (think: a bit like the beep on a cheap digital watch) that is sometimes called Sonnerie au Passage. Recently employed by Meistersinger on their Bell Hora watch.

Then you have the alarm, which often employs a second spring, wound and set with a second crown. The Cricket and the JLC Memovox being obvious examples.

Then you have the repeaters, and with mechanical watches you are getting fairly high end. Basically a series of coded chimes, usually on two separate gongs, indicate hours, quarters and minutes at the press of a button or slider.

Finally you have the Grande Sonnerie, which does the above on the hour and quarters, but also on request in some cases, like the repeater. Think Patek and a few others of that ilk.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

Thanks Steve, still teaching some of us despite retirement !
As I suspected, they are in some illustrious company then.
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ I suspect that little list is possibly inaccurate or incomplete in some ways. I’m sure it could be amended or expanded.

Whatever it turns out to be, mechanical striking or chiming complications are not ever simple and are regarded as a refinement wherever they stand on the horological ladder.
Steve

hsukirk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by hsukirk »

My guess is something as Meistersinger Bell Hora movement wise. Cant wait for it to be released.