Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: Any new CWs in the pipeline?

Post by JasperCat »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:28 pm
JasperCat wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:17 pm ... it seems such a shame to only have the SH21 in their high end or esoteric models :problem:
The flagship, in house movement should be offered in their flagship watch. A C60 Trident with the SH21 as a standard production model seems like a no brainer to me. That’s something I would save up for. Maybe offer some minor cosmetic changes to further differentiate it from the standard C60 line. Perhaps sell it with both a bracelet and a #tide, hybrid, or cordovan strap maybe? A more premium watch as part of a premium package reflecting the best of the brand would be nice.
I’d be happy with that too… I have a C60 Elite GMT and now a C60 MkIII red bezel, but I would have zero hesitation buying a C60 MkIII (or IV) with an SH21 inside :thumbup:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

I'm wondering when the now CW-less CW will move to just the motif, and will there be a new model to launch the new watch face style of the brand...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
tralls
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 10

Post by tralls »

albionphoto wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:58 am
ajax87 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:57 pm The one I’m looking out for is the C60 Concept LE. It’s apparently set to “push the design envelope of the dial and calibre SH21”.

Coming autumn 2021.

And does the C1 Powerglow indicate a C1 Apex in the works? I’d like to think so.
C60 Concept LE is due November. C1 Apex has been pushed back, probably indefinitely as the "Concept" design has replaced the "Apex" design. The next release is supposed to be an update to the C1 sometime around August/September but timing may change due to Covid, etc.
Yeah, there was an interview with Mike France earlier this year where he said the Apex line had been discontinued and that they were working on something very cool in the November time frame that would hopefully show everyone that ditching the Apex was the right call.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

tralls wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:48 pm Yeah, there was an interview with Mike France earlier this year where he said the Apex line had been discontinued and that they were working on something very cool in the November time frame that would hopefully show everyone that ditching the Apex was the right call.
The idea of abandoning the Apex has struck with me for awhile now. Correct me if I’m wrong, but when the first Apex was announced, didn’t they announce they’d be doing an Apex for all four major lines - C1, C60, C7, & C8? Great idea! Now they’ve cancelled it after just two. And oddly, they start with a line, the C7, they was all but dead in the water (I hope a major reboot of the motorsport line is coming!).

Frankly, I’m bothered by making an announcement then not following through on it. It reminds me of when the C65 AM GT LE was released and marketed as CWs last quartz watch…. until the released two more models of quartz watches.

Don’t make announcements if you can’t guarantee you’ll follow through on what you say.

I’ll get off my soap box now.

EDITED TO ADD: Changes due to Covid and the hot mess it brought about get a pass.
Drew
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Did they really abandon Apex or just rebrand it as Elite?
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

rkovars wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:02 pm Did they really abandon Apex or just rebrand it as Elite?
Different beasts. The two Apex watches so far has had semi skeletonised movements with raised bridges in highly contrasting colours.

Elite has always been used for titanium watches (I think there was one example that wasn’t, the C 600 Tritech)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:02 pm Did they really abandon Apex or just rebrand it as Elite?
I’d say abandoned. They were announced as limited production watches to celebrate the 5 year (I think it was 5?) anniversary of the SH21 movement. That’s definitely distinct enough with intention (and design when one looks at the C7 Apex and the C60 Apex) that I think it’s fair to say the Elite is not a rebrand. The C1 Powerglow (was that the name?) in the recent prototype sale certain looks like it could have been a C1 Apex prototype, or at least an exploratory exercise in the development of a C1 Apex.
Drew
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I see the Apex as separate from the Elite, if only for the movement. There’s much more to differentiate them. And, the Apex models were very limited editions.

I wonder just how many more of the Apex C7 and C60 CW could have sold?
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:12 pm
I’d say abandoned. They were announced as limited production watches to celebrate the 5 year (I think it was 5?) anniversary of the SH21 movement. That’s definitely distinct enough with intention (and design when one looks at the C7 Apex and the C60 Apex) that I think it’s fair to say the Elite is not a rebrand. The C1 Powerglow (was that the name?) in the recent prototype sale certain looks like it could have been a C1 Apex prototype, or at least an exploratory exercise in the development of a C1 Apex.
I'm inclined to go with de-emphasised rather than abandoned for the "Apex" line. I think they found a better direction to go in and that will be the "Concept" line. As always it's a never say never with CW but I'd suggest holding your breath for a new "Apex" watch is very risky, even metaphorically. In the interviews I don't think Mike France expected to be asked about the Apex line as often as he was. People were clearly interested in its future (including me). I hope the Concept line is as good as they say it's going to be especially as I'm on the list to buy one even if it's "not going to be cheap" to quote Mike. Time will tell... (pun intended)
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
tralls
Junior
Junior

Post by tralls »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:10 pm
tralls wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:48 pm Yeah, there was an interview with Mike France earlier this year where he said the Apex line had been discontinued and that they were working on something very cool in the November time frame that would hopefully show everyone that ditching the Apex was the right call.
The idea of abandoning the Apex has struck with me for awhile now. Correct me if I’m wrong, but when the first Apex was announced, didn’t they announce they’d be doing an Apex for all four major lines - C1, C60, C7, & C8? Great idea! Now they’ve cancelled it after just two. And oddly, they start with a line, the C7, they was all but dead in the water (I hope a major reboot of the motorsport line is coming!).

Frankly, I’m bothered by making an announcement then not following through on it. It reminds me of when the C65 AM GT LE was released and marketed as CWs last quartz watch…. until the released two more models of quartz watches.

Don’t make announcements if you can’t guarantee you’ll follow through on what you say.

I’ll get off my soap box now.

EDITED TO ADD: Changes due to Covid and the hot mess it brought about get a pass.
Yeah, I agree. I really liked the Apex line and their work with Armin Strom on both models. The original concept was to celebrate the anniversary of the SH21with ones released during majored milestones. They were starting with motorsport and then moved to dive. The last two were going to be dress and aviation.
tralls
Junior
Junior

Post by tralls »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:12 pm
The Powerglow is interesting. I'm not sure it was an Apex because it's design does not highlight the SH21 in the same way. I was certainly expecting a slightly different design language with the next Apex, but the Apex line was always to show off the SH21 and I'm not sure the Powerglow does that. I think it is more likely they toyed with the idea of creating an SH21 highly lumed watch and they decided the market was not there so they stuck with the worldglow.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

albionphoto wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:54 pm I'm inclined to go with de-emphasised rather than abandoned for the "Apex" line.
That’s a fair assessment. Abandoned is a strong word loaded with implied meaning. De-emphasized is a far better way to put it.
Drew
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Looking at the two Apex watches I wonder if they ran out of ways to develop the idea. The power reserve and open movement was developed very well but there wasn't much more they could do with the concept after the C60 Apex. Moving to a C1 would have been dropping the same work into a different case. The C8 line has been discontinued and so it makes sense to go for something different. We might (emphasis on might) see a C1 Apex at some point in the future but the chances of a C8 Apex are, to me, virtually nil.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

albionphoto wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:13 am We might (emphasis on might) see a C1 Apex at some point in the future but the chances of a C8 Apex are, to me, virtually nil.
My problem in trying to envision this is that the two Apex models produced so far have a slightly industrial look about them (in a good way). It works very well on the C7 and C60 but I wouldn’t think it was such a good look on a dress watch.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:22 pm
My problem in trying to envision this is that the two Apex models produced so far have a slightly industrial look about them (in a good way). It works very well on the C7 and C60 but I wouldn’t think it was such a good look on a dress watch.
I think you’re absolutely right. This begs the question of why then even announcing an C1 Apex? The concept isn’t a good fit for the C1.

And while the C8 line is gone, I’d still love to see an Apex interpretation on a pilot’s watch! Perhaps use an Apex to reintroduce the line? One can dream…
Drew