The Olympics

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: The Olympics

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

TigerChris wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:01 am Loved that Triathlon relay - what a race. Agree with JAFO, didn’t seem 1hr 30mins - I haven’t moved watching it!
JAFO wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:00 am Triathlon relay. Well that was great. They said it was about 1 hr 30 mins. Seemed much shorter than that. That's a great format.
Good grief, boys! Commenting on the action, that’s a tad risqué...! :shock:

I’m afraid I don’t do very well past Horlicks time, so I’m about to ingest a couple of coffees over the morning catch up. Sounds like it has been an interesting night.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Amor Vincit Omnia

iain wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:45 am What tennis and golf are doing though is definitely not cricket.
You may well be right. I’d love to see Federer trying to smash a Dukes across Wimbledon, or Jimmy Anderson trying to knock one in for a crafty birdie at Lytham. Mind you, I bet Moeen’s nimble fingers could put a few interesting spins on the old Titleist. And I reckon Bairstow could smack one clean out of the Oval and halfway to Canterbury. :D
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

^^^^^^ How about a mixed sport combining cricket, archery and the shot put? Olympic coconut shy anyone.....
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ Yeah, that works. Shot putter heaves the old coco 20m+, cricketer tries to smack it for 6, but it only counts if the archer sticks one through it before it lands. :thumbup:
Steve

Amor Vincit Omnia

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:48 am ^^^ Yeah, that works. Shot putter heaves the old coco 20m+, cricketer tries to smack it for 6, but it only counts if the archer sticks one through it before it lands. :thumbup:
Well, that swimming really was a bit special. What a great event! Gold and WR for GB. :clap:
Steve

A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

TigerChris wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:01 am Loved that Triathlon relay - what a race. Agree with JAFO, didn’t seem 1hr 30mins - I haven’t moved watching it!
JAFO wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:00 am Triathlon relay. Well that was great. They said it was about 1 hr 30 mins. Seemed much shorter than that. That's a great format.
Agreed. Wanted to see the finish but wasn't sure if it would keep me entertained for that long but it did. Didn't realise I'd enjoy the running jumps into the water as much as I did!

Great to see Jonny Brownlee get that elusive Olympic Gold at what is probably the final attempt and the rest of the bunch have a strong future it seems.

The mixed events certainly add something different and it seems the athletes find these refreshing and a little more fun than their single pursuit.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Tired this morning, but worth it to watch the mixed triathlon relay into the night. What an exciting event!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:56 am

I’m afraid I don’t do very well past Horlicks time, so I’m about to ingest a couple of coffees over the morning catch up. Sounds like it has been an interesting night.
With regard to the Triathlon, I was careful (as was @TigerChris) not to give any spoilers, if that's what you mean. I referred to British success in the BMX, but that was much later, as I watched a recording of that, but I still didn't give the precise results.

Other interesting things I have seen were the tense denouement of the mens team gymnastics, and some of the rugby sevens I happened on. I haven't watched very much though, although I am looking forward to the track cycling.

What I don't understand is why track cycling keep cutting back their programme to reduce the number of medals on offer, but swimming and gymnastics offers so many. Swimming especially, 4 strokes, multiple distances, varieties of medleys and so on. Multiple competitors per nation per event. Cycling now only has one competitor per nation per event,
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

A1soknownas wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:39 am
Great to see Jonny Brownlee get that elusive Olympic Gold
Definitely, he deserves it. Great to see him with the full set now. Off to Ironman now I believe one of the commentators said.

But, my favourite athlete of the games so far is Georgia Taylor-Brown. The strength she showed overcoming the flat tyre in the individual event to get silver and then that first leg last night, absolutely superb :clap:
Amor Vincit Omnia

JAFO wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:14 pm With regard to the Triathlon, I was careful (as was @TigerChris) not to give any spoilers, if that's what you mean. I referred to British success in the BMX, but that was much later, as I watched a recording of that, but I still didn't give the precise results.
Ah, no – I already knew the results. I looked at the BBC website when I woke up. I was being slightly ironic in actually expressing pleasure that someone was talking about the action, as opposed to the ideology of which sports should and should not be included.
Steve

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

GB seem to be doing really well so far - the swimmers, triathletes, BMX'ers. Pity that Dina Asher Smith didn't make the 100m final, I think the injuries she had recently have affected her preparation.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia

TigerChris wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:19 pm But, my favourite athlete of the games so far is Georgia Taylor-Brown. The strength she showed overcoming the flat tyre in the individual event to get silver and then that first leg last night, absolutely superb :clap:
Absolutely. Superb!
Thegreyman wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:49 pm GB seem to be doing really well so far - the swimmers, triathletes, BMX'ers. Pity that Dina Asher Smith didn't make the 100m final, I think the injuries she had recently have affected her preparation.
They are doing well indeed, Patrick. Unlucky to finish fourth in a number of events, especially rowing. Must be the worst place to finish.

Regarding DAS, I feel sorry for her. She came into it carrying an injury and probably shouldn’t have been trying to compete. Unfortunately for her, the weight of expectation was on her shoulders because the media had made her the poster girl and had practically hung a medal round her neck before she even left Heathrow. She is young, strong and very talented and I’m sure she will be back.
Steve

sjedwardz
Junior
Junior

Post by sjedwardz »

JAFO wrote:
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:56 am

With regard to the Triathlon, I was careful (as was @TigerChris) not to give any spoilers, if that's what you mean. I referred to British success in the BMX, but that was much later, as I watched a recording of that, but I still didn't give the precise results.

Other interesting things I have seen were the tense denouement of the mens team gymnastics, and some of the rugby sevens I happened on. I haven't watched very much though, although I am looking forward to the track cycling.

What I don't understand is why track cycling keep cutting back their programme to reduce the number of medals on offer, but swimming and gymnastics offers so many. Swimming especially, 4 strokes, multiple distances, varieties of medleys and so on. Multiple competitors per nation per event. Cycling now only has one competitor per nation per event,
The changes on the track cycling was partly to do with steam GBs success over the years. They reduced it to one entry per country to partly stop us getting so many medals. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I was scanning the online programming guide to see what events were being broadcast. With my bad eyesight I misread tennis as TETRIS! For a split second I thought, “now this is just getting ridiculous!” :lol:
Drew
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:23 am
Lavaine wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:07 pm …it's that the Olympics are no longer the pinnacle of AMATEUR sport.
I like the sports where the athlete has a day job!
I want to see more athletes like Anna Kiesenhofer. Amateur rider, no sponsor (which was probably an advantage as she built the exact bike she wanted, not what the sponsor offered), no coach, has a full time job. Won the gold medal with a strategy that no coach would have ever recommended or supported. THAT is the true spirit of the Olympics.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.