The Golf Topic

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

magicman wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:45 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:25 am Lesson booked for next Tuesday! :D :D :D
Good luck, hope they don't find out your left-handed.

Regards Steve
:lol: :lol:

I AM left-handed! But I have always played golf and cricket right-handed. Lefty bowler and left-handed at racquet sports, snooker and so on.

Can’t wait to get going.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

^^^That's impressive Steve

To be honest, the left arm, for a right handed golfer is pretty important, so if you have good control over it, then that's a good start.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

watchaholic wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:25 pm Anyone figure out exactly what watch Collin Morikawa was wearing on the podium?
Hodinkee said it was an unusual Speedy. Article today.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Wow!! I actually got to play golf today with no rain. What an adventure with no rain on a Tuesday.

Not to bad either. Stared with a 38 on the front and then a 41 on the back 9 for a 79. Then played my league match and won that with another 41. I was pleased.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

@AVO... so how did that lesson go?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:25 am Lesson booked for next Tuesday! :D :D :D
Sounds like retirement is official! :clap: :thumbup:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Managed to escape for 9 holes this morning. One birdie, one par, a couple of rough holes… but +9 isn’t bad! I’ve always been a “bogey golfer” anyway. It was an amazing day to be out on the course.

96E3C507-7CA4-4309-8E5A-A33121951E4D.jpeg
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

Hit the driving range today for the first time in a couple of weeks. Good news is that my woods are working very nicely - straight and true. At the other end of the bag my wedges seem to be spinning a roulette wheel to decide what they're going to do each time. Shank, fat, thin, high, low, push, pull and repeat.

Why is hitting the ball a long way relatively easy but hitting it a short way achingly difficult?!
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

^^^Conversely my most consistent club is my Lob wedge and as I progress up towards the driver, it gets progressively worse.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

Kip wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:55 am Are you wondering which game you are taking with you? Your A, B or C or F game?
Back tonight for the 3 day golf (and beer!) trip.
Played two courses....one a downland course so not too hilly but a nice course. The other (played twice) a real test and possibly the hilliest golf course I’ve ever play. Of course the weather was extremely hot and seeing as we are stout Brits we walked the course. Mainly because we forgot to book any buggies and because of the weather they were in high demand! Absolutely,positively,completely knackered.
Monday.....front 9 = Z game, 9th onward fluctuated between A & C. Stableford comp in which I came last :lol:
Tuesday and Wednesday....four ball better ball & singles matches between two teams of 6. Won both my matches and both long drives so definitely better!

Must be mad playing golf for three solid days in this heat.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I’m off for a two day trip tmrw. The rules have just been posted on the group chat….
FTL Rules

1. A heart warmer is to be consumed at the outset, unless they are the nominated driver
2. All players should be dressed in eye catching clothing
3. No player is permitted to take the event seriously e.g. being able to draw or fade on purpose, unless it is for the benefit of others in an attempt to improve or coach their fellow golfers performance and will immediately be given a penalty of the other players choice
4. All players will receive 1 mulligan - to be used off the tee only (and can continue to use on the same hole until a ball is in play (this permits issues with balls magnetised to water). The card needs to be marked accordingly with an M or multiple M’s (the latter for amusement after the round for those unable to view the spectacle)
5. All players are permitted to use 1 I’ll have a birdie for that (replaces the I’ll have a 3 for that which is unfair on par 5s that are played well by others as higher stableford points would be received). The card must be marked with a B
6. All players will receive 1 ‘My ball landed next to yours’ and the card marked with two circles next to each other (not required during Texas scramble - doh!)
7. All players to have 1 ‘I didn’t see that’ call on another player - forcing them to replay the shot again. However this does not apply to a hole in 1 because said player will be buying the drinks in the bar and unlikely any other golfer would really wish to challenge that situation.
8. Should a player be unable to reach the ladies tee the suitable penalty should be imposed. However the player may use a get out of jail/shot card if they have a small Willy, like me, and the usual penalty is pointless if amusing
9. Penalty drinks can be imposed on another player for unruly behaviour (determined by the other playing partners or on yourself if you begin to sober up
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

^^Sounds like a fun time. Hope you get good weather..Enjoy!
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

Playing a new course (to me) today. Lots of water with a few holes of target golf I am told. Hope I am hitting straight. [-o<
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Getting back into golf and watching the Open last week reminded me of a fantastic July day in 1990. I had just finished my last term at the small boarding school where I worked and was packing up my flat ready to move to Norfolk.

A couple of friends and I spent Friday at the Open - held at St, Andrew's that year and won by Faldo. We stood halfway down the 1st fairway for some of the early games, then picked up a game to follow to about the 5th. After we had sat in a stand for a while the late great Seve Ballesteros came past and we followed him to the turn. Incredible golfer!

Just by the 7th or 8th there was a stand with a refreshments tent. We sat there for hours (fortunately I was being treated to a day out as a parting gift and wasn't the driver!). On this part of the Old Course a decent vantage point like that will let you see 5 or 6 holes around the turn. From where we sat (we all took decent binoculars) we were able to watch: Palmer, Nicklaus, Trevino, Player, Watson, Norman, Woosnam, Olazábal, Crenshaw, Stewart, O'Connor, Torrance...literally a host of top players of the day and some legends!

Late in the afternoon we followed a couple more games and ended up in a stand near the 17th green, where you could watch the whole of the 18th up to the R&A clubhouse. I think Faldo was late out that day so we watched him play the last two.

I fell asleep in the car on the way home, and my friends dropped me off about 9.30 pm. In time to watch the late night highlights. No iPlayer or catch-up in those days! :D

A day I will never forget! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

The new course We played yesterday was quite an adventure. It is an older Donald Ross design with more hazards then I was led to believe and plenty of severely undulating greens. It is a short course playing only 6216 yards from the tips. The hazards and greens more than make up for the yardage.

I was fortunate to steer clear of all hazards, but don't think I had a single flat fairway lie. The rough was about 4 inches and very thick. I o not recall every playing in rough like this. Add to this the overall course was pretty soft due to recent heavy rains. It was a real test of the short game as reaching any green in 2/3 was a challenge. The course is a bit unique for around here in that it is a par 70 with 5 par 5's and 7 par 3's.

The weather was perfect with a slight breeze. I felt fortunate to escape with an 80. The only downside is, due to the challenge of the course, and wet fairways, the round took a bit over 5 hours. Not the pace of play I am accustomed to. I would play here again, but only with a very early tee time.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"