Stick or twist - What next after 'Trusty Steed' Kevin?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Stick or twist - What next after 'Trusty Steed' Kevin?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ Isn't the BMW 1.5L 3 pot a Peugeot engine that has been around for a while now?

As to the Cupra Formentor, I've sat in one in my local Dealer. A very seductive car.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I did re-read your post an saw you'd already mentioned the Cupra. Looks very nice.

Not sure about the pug engine, but I seem to recall it's also used in the mini. It's smooth when running but can be a little agricultural when starting and pulling away. Probably not helped by me sometimes driving it in Eco Pro mode. That said, sport mode is very responsive
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I can’t help much as I know the North American market, not UK/Europe but generally I keep my cars to 200-250K miles. I see several years of no car payments between purchases, and the cars I sell still have some residual value for the next person. If a vehicle is good and the upkeep reasonable, why get rid of it?

Also, I’d concur with delaying until the car market, both new and used, settles down.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

thomcat00 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:35 am I can’t help much as I know the North American market, not UK/Europe but generally I keep my cars to 200-250K miles.
I would assume that you have a fairly high annual mileage? Guy mentioned around 8000 miles, so it would take him 12 years to put on 100k.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:49 am
thomcat00 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:35 am I can’t help much as I know the North American market, not UK/Europe but generally I keep my cars to 200-250K miles.
I would assume that you have a fairly high annual mileage? Guy mentioned around 8000 miles, so it would take him 12 years to put on 100k.
I do tend to pack on the miles. The current car, a Honda Pilot, has 225K miles and it’s 15; the car it replaced was a 10yo Subaru Forester with 218K miles. The Subaru was bought new; the Pilot was 3 with about 18K miles. Both are quite reliable and I drive country and seasonal roads regularly.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ I think we sometimes forget how very different our countries are. We live in a small and overcrowded country that is around one third of the size of Texas! Distances between major conurbations are never that great, and (my opinion of course) driving is not especially pleasurable in most of the country because all you can see in front of you is a string of vehicles most of the time.

My current car is just over two years old and has 14,000 miles on the clock. That, of course, is taking into account the various lockdowns when on many days the car stayed in the garage and I walked to the village shops.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Being a fellow vrs'er as we have chatted about before, I share your thoughts on performance v practicality.

From the size vehicle you mention, for the reasons mentioned, plus the extra budget theres only 2 choices for me:

Cupra Ateca. 300bhp, stunning interior, reliable, and can be toned down or in full Cupra mode is an absolute hooligan! My pal has one and trust me, they pick their feet up and handle better than any mini suv ever should! Having driven it many times, this rascal would be my absolute no brainer number 1! The ONLY reason I chose the Octavia estare over the Cupra was the size of my stupid mutt! And I still regret it!

Second would be the BMW X2 M35i. I havent driven one, but I have checked them out and the finish is stunning. The figures suggest they are also massively capable of loosing you your license in seconds..!

Id stick at the mo just due to the inflated prices but as the microchip problems/supply ease in the coming 6 month ish (hopefully!), id pull the trigger.
Plus you will be more than well aware xmas is a decent time to get deals! Definitely get something that'll raise your pulse!
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

I don't think anyone has suggested a Ford Kuga. I had one as a rental and was fairly impressed though I am not a fan of SUVs.
The motor trade is certainly struggling at the moment, my son in law who is in sales cannot even keep hold of a demonstrator as all the stock has been sold. Interestingly he has just secured a Seat for my daughter but opted for a personal lease which was the best deal he could get. For anyone who is interested in browsing/dreaming/drooling the comparison site he used can provide hours of time wasting fun is:
https://www.leaseloco.com/
Gordon
Bahnstormer_vRS

thomcat00 wrote:
I do tend to pack on the miles. The current car, a Honda Pilot, has 225K miles and it’s 15; the car it replaced was a 10yo Subaru Forester with 218K miles. The Subaru was bought new; the Pilot was 3 with about 18K miles. Both are quite reliable and I drive country and seasonal roads regularly.
Thanks for the comments Thom.

I've been there, done that on the mileage front as I used to commute daily into NW London by car plus the usual personal/family stuff, racking up 16 - 20,000 miles pa.

Probably very different type of mileage / driving to yours though.

Subaru Forester? If they still made them I'd have one in a shot. My brother owned a (JDM) STi version for some years in Singapore, where he lived and ran a business. He rated it highly.

Guy

Bahnstormer_vRS

Dickchins wrote:
Second would be the BMW X2 M35i. I havent driven one, but I have checked them out and the finish is stunning. The figures suggest they are also massively capable of loosing you your license in seconds..!
Whilst I'm averse to Audi, Mercedes and some other brands, BMW are worth a look, as I've driven them in the past.

They're co-located with my MINI dealership so I may as well take a look at the X2 when checking out the Countryman JCW.

Aren't they based on the same chassis, or is that the Countryman / X1?

Guy

Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Hi Guy, sone friends of ours have the new (2020) Honda HRV its only 1.5T with 182bhp but reliable, OK to steer, sport version a bit better (firmer) than standard, less than 8s 0-60. May not have the punch for you but the new shape is quite an attractive car of the type you have suggested.
Problem you may find is going from the torque and turbo shove of the VAG 2.0 diesel unit (which is quite addictive), anything with less than at least 200bhp in a more linear petrol may feel a little asthmatic to you at 1st.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
downer

Post by downer »

I can't comment on the timing of your swap, Guy, although I would say the current "shortage" has inflated used prices so the gap between used and new is smaller than ever, so - if you can find a new car that meets your specification requirements, it is not a bad time to change.

As for the car choice, you may recall I purchased a new XC40 late last year. Given our intended use for this car, I did not need to go for a high performance version so I opted for the B4 (just shy of 200bhp with the mildest of mild hybrid). To be honest, the car has done very little mileage since new, due to lockdowns and our changing habits. However, I can tell you the XC40 is an excellent car - very comfortable, simple and reliable in-car technology, good space considering the external dimensions and decent-enough fuel economy. I also bought a five year service pack, which was a bargain.
Richard
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:59 am
Dickchins wrote:
Whilst I'm averse to Audi, Mercedes and some other brands, BMW are worth a look, as I've driven them in the past.

They're co-located with my MINI dealership so I may as well take a look at the X2 when checking out the Countryman JCW.

Guy

I couldnt say for sure tbh pal. My brother in law took 1 out before he bought his 430 and he said it was the spuds though!
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:59 am

Guy

Yes, the X2 is a squashed X1. Very much the same car, although the X2 is defined as a sport coupe. We bought a 2018 X1 and it is cavernous for its size. Previously we had a 2011 Kia Sportage which had the same dimensions externally but felt smaller inside than the X1. We got the X Line and I’m really impressed with the kit list
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

What would I do if I were you?

Well, I'd do what you would do! If it was me, then I like to keep cars, so I'd keep "Kevin" (my second/hobby 'car' is a 41 year old Land Rover).

That's a bit boring though, so if you want something newer on the drive, with a powerful engine and 4X4 then the obvious choice (for me anyway) would be a Range Rover or Discovery. Not much difference in size from the MINI Countryman.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left