Stick or twist - What next after 'Trusty Steed' Kevin?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Stick or twist - What next after 'Trusty Steed' Kevin?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I posted this in the 'What Car do you Drive?' thread and rather than clutter up that thread with discussion, let's start a new Topic and transfer it here;-

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Thermexman wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Still blasting around in Kevin.

Jan '11, Yeti 2.0L TDI 'vRS' 61,000 miles

Picture taken last week after having his summer alloys/tyres refitted.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z Premium using Tapatalk
vRS? A wolf in Yeti's clothing then!
Yup. Bit of a Wolf.

Yeti 2.0L TDI 140ps DSG Elegance with vRS upgrade of;-

Remap and freeflow exhaust to c.185ps and >350Nm.
Eibach lowered springs c.30mm
Bilstein B6 dampers
vRS steering wheel with paddle shift
18" Team Dynamic wheels with 225/45 18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports tyres

aka Kevin; after the fast multicoloured flightless bird in the film Up.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z Premium using Tapatalk

Kevin is still going strong, now with c. 84,000 miles on the clock.

In rude health with new front brakes last year, due to seized caliper, 5 yearly cambelt/water pump six months ago and new summer tyres last year (only done 3k miles max).

A few cosmetic gremlins with peeling lacquer on the front bumper and early signs of rust around the number plate lights on the tailgate.

Love driving him to bits but, with additional income coming later in the year that will comfortably fund a PCP do I stick or twist?

Guy

Soporsche wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:52 pm . . . . . . .
Guy - great mods on Kevin, should imagine they translate to a fun (and great handling) drive.
Lower unsprung weight (wheels), B6s a really great fast road/track damper, torquey engine and nice free flow exhaust sound/breathing 👍
My big dilemma, Stephen, is finding a suitable replacement with all the above attributes.

I ought to switch over to Petrol, from my current Diesel, to negate the potential for DPF issues as my typical driving these days includes a high proportion of short, <10 miles, journeys. I'd prefer to stick to an SUV style as I like the raised seating position and Automatic is a must as I have an arthritic right ankle with restricted movement, meaning that I left foot brake. My annual mileage is in the region of 8,000.

Another reason for an SUV is that it gives me a good size boot for either Davie, my Greyhound, to travel in or to carry a wheelchair when I'm doing my Community Transport Volunteer driving. An SUV also gives good ease of access for my sometimes disabled passengers.

A like-4-like replacement will be a Skoda Karoq 2.0L TSI Sportline with 190PS but I quite like the idea of a bit more oomph. To get that, I'd have to go over to the Cupra Ateca or Formentor with 2.0L TSI c.300PS (I don't feel that I need to pay the premium for a VW or Audi).

I quite like the look of the Volvo V40 especially with the T5 engine, but am wary of higher SMR costs versus the Skoda/SEAT/Cupra.

What therefore are my options?

Twist? - buying new, on a PCP, potentially 0%, or pre-owned / nearly new 18 - 36 months old(?), higher finance cost but saving depreciation / lower purchase price.

Stick? - with trusty steed Kevin and run him for another couple of years at least.

$64,000 question. What would you do, if you were me?

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Stick or twist - What next after 'Trusty Steed' Kevin?

Post by what-time-is-it »

With limited supply of new cars, few deals and buoyant used prices, I would stick and take another look next spring.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

I'm with Chris... however vicarious watch shopping is too good an opportunity 😀
How left field is acceptable?
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ Try me.

Alfa Romeo Stelvio?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

It is very nice but reliability/maintenance might not be as good as Kevin 😄
I would have mentioned the Cupras if you hadn't already.. My car cogs are whirring and I'll come back with some equally fun but impractical options with no regard to budget🤣😂
Stephen

Scrogg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Scrogg »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:14 pmAlfa Romeo Stelvio?
There is a very real possibility Alfa Romeo will be withdrawing from the UK market (again) in the near future. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a Stelvio over any of the many, many alternatives
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ Thanks for your comments / suggestion so far Chris & Stephen.

One thing to add is that I'm trying not to get too big a car.

My Yeti is a pretty perfect size. The Karoq/Ateca/V40 are slightly larger and acceptable, the Formentor is a tad long but OK as its otherwise stunning / gorgeous.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Guy

Bahnstormer_vRS

Scrogg wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:53 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:14 pmAlfa Romeo Stelvio?
There is a very real possibility Alfa Romeo will be withdrawing from the UK market (again) in the near future. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a Stelvio over any of the many, many alternatives
Interesting advice Simon, thanks.

Are you still with who I remember you being with from a few years ago?

Guy

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Can't really contribute much here, but I had 4 SEATS (inc. 3 Ibizas) all on PCP before my 3 latest Toyotas.

Excellent cars! :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Scrogg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Scrogg »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:59 pm Interesting advice Simon, thanks.

Are you still with who I remember you being with from a few years ago?

Guy
I am indeed, although no longer on the shop floor in sales

We spent a goodly amount of money building a new multi-franchise site a few years ago. Lovely big Alfa Romeo and Jeep showroom designed to hold 10 new cars. Alfa Romeo range is now two. Jeep range is now three. Let's just say our MD had many conversations with FCA regarding a return on our investment!

I'll also echo what Chris has already said. New car supply is currently the worst I have ever seen it, and used car prices have gone up and up every month this year, with the trade predicting them staying at least level deep into Q4.

The only thing that is a good idea right now is selling!
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

Absolutely agree with the waiting until market stabilises... now my 1st stab, dont shoot me for these..
XC40 T5, volvo also have some of the comfiest seats of any car. Pricey, not too big, T5 is very good (although not as good as the old 5 cyl)
Mini Countryman JCW - fun to drive, interesting (not really a mini), roomy, fast and current models get decent reliability reports.
Jag E-Pace petrol (250 or 300 if they do one), sprightly and a good steer (for a heavy crossover/suv thingy). Also bit pricey, can't comment on reliability, sound deadening takes away much of any sporty exhaust note.
Macan (3 litre). Nothing more to say on this that you won't know... suspect the Cupra/SEATs will be better value...
Stephen

Bahnstormer_vRS

Scrogg wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:07 pm I am indeed, although no longer on the shop floor in sales

We spent a goodly amount of money building a new multi-franchise site a few years ago. Lovely big Alfa Romeo and Jeep showroom designed to hold 10 new cars. Alfa Romeo range is now two. Jeep range is now three. Let's just say our MD had many conversations with FCA regarding a return on our investment!

I'll also echo what Chris has already said. New car supply is currently the worst I have ever seen it, and used car prices have gone up and up every month this year, with the trade predicting them staying at least level deep into Q4.

The only thing that is a good idea right now is selling!
Cheers Simon.

That's one hell of a bummer about Alfa / Jeep, hope you've been able to sort things.

Your thoughts on the market are appreciated. I popped into my Skoda dealer ten days ago and asked about a new Karoq. Essentially, they had some / limited stock available but a 'build to my spec' order would be 12-16+ weeks. This in itself would not be an issue as I'm only in a position to pay for a PCP come November/December.

To back up your comments about lack of new car supply. Following on from discussion in the 'What car do you drive?' topic about the Honda Civic Type R FK8, my son visited his Honda dealer in early May to discuss his shortly to be finishing PCP and the options available.

He was offered a P/X value £5k over his balloon payment (he'd anticipated maybe £1k - £1.5k) BUT they would be unable to offer him a new like-4-like replacement; the Swindon factory had been shut down during the first lockdown, reopened for a while, but then switched production to LHD models for the USA market, with no RHD production.

He was though in the fortunate position to have the 'cash' available to pay the balloon payment, which he has now done and will look at his options in a few months time. There being a 4WD FK8 on the cards is an interesting development.

Guy

Bahnstormer_vRS

Soporsche wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:45 pm Absolutely agree with the waiting until market stabilises... now my 1st stab, dont shoot me for these..
XC40 T5, volvo also have some of the comfiest seats of any car. Pricey, not too big, T5 is very good (although not as good as the old 5 cyl)
Mini Countryman JCW - fun to drive, interesting (not really a mini), roomy, fast and current models get decent reliability reports.
Jag E-Pace petrol (250 or 300 if they do one), sprightly and a good steer (for a heavy crossover/suv thingy). Also bit pricey, can't comment on reliability, sound deadening takes away much of any sporty exhaust note.
Macan (3 litre). Nothing more to say on this that you won't know... suspect the Cupra/SEATs will be better value...
Cheers for your suggestions Stephen which are interesting. My thoughts?

XC40 T5 - actually the car I was thinking of in my opening post when I wrote V40. #-o #-o I like this Volvo as its not too big and has boxy styling, rather like the Yeti and contrary to many current SUVs that have a 'fastback' tailend. I prefer the squarer old skool Estate style. I've yet to take a hands on look at one, but have a dealer <10 miles away so ought to check it out.

Mini Countryman JCW - I've never been sure about the Countryman. Externally, its a similar size to Yeti but I get the impression its smaller and less capable load wise internally. It would be a turn up for the books to get one as my son had a '12 plate MINI Cooper S prior to his Civic Type R. Again I ought to check it out.

Jaguar E-Pace - always thought of these as a rebodied Range Rover Evoque; a car I detest for its pointless coupe styling and looking bigger than it need be. I'd be going up market on the SMR front too, which I'm hesitant about.

Macan? Say no more! :grin: :grin: Except new would be out of the question, it would have to be 4-5 yrs old. SMR will be high and I'm not sure it would send the right message to some of my Community Transport passengers. That's one of the reasons I like my Yeti as it is a comfortable, high spec car (Elegance with full leather) but it does not shout flash & expensive. On the other hand, my girlfriend/partner says I ought to buy the car I want and if it fits with my Community Transport role then all the better.

Overall, good food for thought.

Guy

what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Similar to Bargain Hunters on here, you should watch the PCP deals and Lease threads on Pistonheads - lots of deals quoted on a daily/weekly basis, but if you see a cheap deal you need to act fast.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 391&i=8180
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

We’ve just bought a second hand car, the prices were uppish anyway and have gone north since. Even checking out our old trade -in pricing, the prices on that have gone up too. Reports from all salesmen (yes, they were men) was that they’ve been very busy. One dealer said that over the last 12 months with 100% remote sales/ click and collect, sales were nearly par with pre COVID figures.

In terms of payment types, I have a personal aversion to PCP, so I, personally, will always avoid that method.

I too have moved from diesel to petrol and rate the VAG 1.5 TSi higher than the BMW 1.5 3 cyclinder. The former is more refined and more efficient than the latter. Efficiency is noticeably lower in the BMW (X1), but I guess that’s the price to pay for trying to buy what is now considered the ‘cleaner’ fuel. The 1.5 TSi (150 bhp) is excellent and has more than enough power.

On the non-Audi VAG line then, what about the Cupra Formentra (Seat spin off)