Has THE SALE now levelled off?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Has THE SALE now levelled off?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

What was it my grandmother used to say? “Some people would skin a gnat for its hide“? :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Interesting to see how the offering fluctuates now that the sale has been live for several days. I’ve been after a particular watch, in addition to just adding pieces of interest. The sale makes some of the decisions easier.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Seems like the 'Sale' page has been pulled overnight.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:33 am Seems like the 'Sale' page has been pulled overnight.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
There are still 29 listings but all in the "New lower price" category, so depending on your search parameters you may not see them.
https://www.christopherward.com/int/sale
Amor Vincit Omnia

A couple of thoughts. I don’t want this to sound like a “fings ain’t wot dey used ter be” post, but it probably will. :lol:

It does seem to me that THE SALE is not THE EVENT it used to be. When I first joined the forum and in the early years thereafter, I would happily look at the sale and find things that took my eye. I even bought a couple of watches in those sales. Perhaps I’m looking at things with a slightly jaundiced eye, but since we now appear to be living in the land of Midian with “Joseph and His Amazing Collection of Very Similar Dive Watches of Different Colours”, I find there is less that appeals.

I suppose the back of the famous sofa is perhaps not the limitless treasure trove we once thought it to be, and the once seemingly inexhaustible wellspring of time-expired models to be found within the upholstery has finally dried up, so to speak.

Now, perhaps the self-confessed narrowing of the CW focus has led to a drop-off in returns (I didn’t see many Nearly New watches, did you?) and, given that the most recent Limited Edition sold out in 22 hours, perhaps they really are hitting the proverbial Sweet Spot (albeit not mine for the most part) and there are fewer watches lying unsold in the nether bowels of the CW stock rooms.

I also recall that, a few months ago, a watch which proved not to be very popular on launch was quickly sold off at a tempting price rather than waiting for an official SALE.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Renton »

I have to agree with you there ^^^

Although the Jan '21 one had a lot more variety, especially with the (relative) mountain of prototypes being sold off.

In the long term, I think less half-price sell-offs of entire ranges (à la C11s and C70 GP COSCs etc.) is a good thing for the brand.

Shorter runs of full price watches selling out in hours carries a lot more kudos imho.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think the "new lower price" offers are current ranges, but possibly in discontinued colours.

The least expensive offers have red bezels, but the only colours on the normal website have blue bezels (some black), and they are at the full price, so rather than discontinued models, merely discontinued colours.

Would that make sense?
alanrolfe01
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 25

Post by alanrolfe01 »

The Al's have gone!! I'm gonna miss 'em.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

alanrolfe01 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:34 pm The Al's have gone!! I'm gonna miss 'em.
You think they won't pop back? :shock:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

The remaining sale items have been changed from "New lower prices" to "Summer specials", possibly indicating they are not permanent reductions.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:56 am I suppose the back of the famous sofa is perhaps not the limitless treasure trove we once thought it to be, and the once seemingly inexhaustible wellspring of time-expired models to be found within the upholstery has finally dried up, so to speak.

Now, perhaps the self-confessed narrowing of the CW focus has led to a drop-off in returns (I didn’t see many Nearly New watches, did you?)
There were a lot of Nearly New watches in the sale. 71 when I checked the sale and was already going for a little while. But most of them go very quickly within the first few hours. Lots of great deals in 40% and 50% off as well so this was a very good sale again, in my opinion.
Amor Vincit Omnia

nordwulf wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:18 pm There were a lot of Nearly New watches in the sale. 71 when I checked the sale and was already going for a little while. But most of them go very quickly within the first few hours. Lots of great deals in 40% and 50% off as well so this was a very good sale again, in my opinion.
Ah, thanks for the info, Frank. I didn’t really have chance to look properly until very late at night, and there didn’t appear to be much around (or left) by then.
Steve

JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

So they are now "Summertime Specials".
I see @audio.bill already picked this up.

On that basis, I imagine the general sale is completed, though.
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

Picked up two C60s so happy with that
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:30 pm
nordwulf wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:18 pm There were a lot of Nearly New watches in the sale. 71 when I checked the sale and was already going for a little while. But most of them go very quickly within the first few hours. Lots of great deals in 40% and 50% off as well so this was a very good sale again, in my opinion.
Ah, thanks for the info, Frank. I didn’t really have chance to look properly until very late at night, and there didn’t appear to be much around (or left) by then.
I have some screenshots here. they are too big to inline post on the forum: https://photos.app.goo.gl/o8cLExESD7V2pA2TA

You may have to view on a computer and zoom in.