Trident second hand

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JymKhana

Trident second hand

Post by JymKhana »

Hi-first post, just joined and just ordered my first CW. This may be a silly question but I ma curious about the second hand. In some pictures it looks rather flat as if cut from a sheet of metal and in others it appears dimensional with rounded details. Is that just bad photographs, the model, the vintage? Maybe it is old eyes on my part.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing from people. Maybe some nice pictures. I've ordered a C60 Trident Pro with a white dial in 40mm and plan on taking it diving a lot.

How long does it take to ship out and make it's way across the sea to the US?
JymKhana

Re: Trident second hand

Post by JymKhana »

I suppose my question was either poorly worded or just uninteresting.

I am attaching some images I grabbed off their website to clarify what I am asking. In the picture on the left, the second hand appears more interesting with greater depth to it than on the right. The right one appears flat and cheap. I am wondering if it is just the lighting or if this was a small feature that was changed.
cw.png
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

It can look like either depending on the light. It’s small, and very hard to tell with the naked eye whether it is flat or faceted. I would guess faceted because it does shadow some angles when the light hits it.

I’ve never looked at it and thought it to be cheap looking. It’s different in the flesh than in pictures. Let us know your thoughts once you get it!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Welcome to the forum! Given the small dimensions of the second hand, I cant imagine it would have too much depth to it. And I’ve never thought the second hand on my CWs looked cheap. Why don’t you take a look at the CW of the Day thread to see some real world pics and get a better idea of how the second hands look. Or maybe surf through the reference gallery.

As you’re new, why don’t you head over here and introduce yourself?
Drew
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Yeh, they are definitely not faceted at this size (& cost), but I imagine the stamping process rounds the edges a touch giving a little depth.
Ryan
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Here are three recent models, I'd say the sweep second hand is flat cut. You're going to have to ignore dust etc..
20210630_180423.jpg
20210630_180452.jpg
20210630_180347.jpg
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JymKhana

Post by JymKhana »

I appreciate the info. I'll post a picture when I get the new watch. It looks like they are shipping with DHL now and it's is expected to be delivered very shortly.
JymKhana

Post by JymKhana »

I just wanted to say that I did get the watch. Shipping was fast. I was actually out on a dive thinking that maybe I had made the wrong purchase and when I got back, there it was.

Here it is with a few of it's friends.
all.jpg
And one out on the town.
car.jpg
And finally at work on a different strap.
strap.jpg
So here are my thoughts:
1) The second hand was a stupid thing to be worried about. The Trident is so cool I think it should be used more often. (I am not even sure what the double + logo is supposed to represent.
2) With old eyes the white on white can be hard to see but only at twilight. During the day the contrast is there and at night the lume takes over. I only struggle in cases such as a poorly lit room as the sun is near the horizon. Otherwise it is very readable.
3) The watch works wonderfully as a diver. I used it recently and the viz was horrible but the watch was easy to read, a lot easier then the dive computer in those conditions. Clearly it held up well but we were way above it's max depth.
4) The bezel moves very smoothly, something my old sub no longer can do easily.

Overall, a great buy especially for the price.

I absolutely love it so this next part is going to sound odd but I might send it back. I will say, if I still had my $125 off coupon I probably would send it in and get the SeaLander. In fact, if it wasn't for the clear case back I would probably do the swap and not worry about a coupon but that is getting off topic. I'll just add, they need to take the same level of detail they put into the Trident case back and make a globe case back for the SeaLander.

I will be heading out to sea again this Friday and will try and get some pictures of the watch doing the things it should at depth.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Well despite your observations about the Sealander I think you're saying you're enjoying your C60. Enjoy it long and hard - it can take the treatment!

Don't forget that the Sealander is a smaller case and ISTR 150m of WR only.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

However flat the hands are, they do have a physical thickness and therefore must have an edge that is finished in some way. Just my musings
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

JymKhana wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:53 am
I absolutely love it so this next part is going to sound odd but I might send it back. I will say, if I still had my $125 off coupon I probably would send it in and get the SeaLander. In fact, if it wasn't for the clear case back I would probably do the swap and not worry about a coupon but that is getting off topic. I'll just add, they need to take the same level of detail they put into the Trident case back and make a globe case back for the SeaLander.

I will be heading out to sea again this Friday and will try and get some pictures of the watch doing the things it should at depth.
I think you will run into difficulty trying to return this since you have been wearing and diving with it. Best to just feel the love you have with it currently.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JymKhana wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:53 am 3) The watch works wonderfully as a diver. I used it recently…

…but I might send it back.

…I will be heading out to sea again this Friday and will try and get some pictures of the watch doing the things it should at depth.
I don’t know that you’ll be able to send it back for a full refund under the 60/60 guarantee if you’ve worn it diving! If you try, you’ll likely get offered a prorated amount because it’s no longer in unworn condition. Something to consider.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Kip wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:18 pm I think you will run into difficulty trying to return this since you have been wearing and diving with it. Best to just feel the love you have with it currently.
You beat me to it, Kip, by just seconds.
Drew
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

I know that this topic comes up quite often but surely the 60:60 is really the chance to examine the watch as you would in a shop? I wouldn't buy a watch from a jeweller, wear it for a night out, go swimming in the sea while wearing it and then expect to take it back for a full refund unless it was faulty. Perhaps that makes me odd?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

exHowfener wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:54 pm I know that this topic comes up quite often but surely the 60:60 is really the chance to examine the watch as you would in a shop? I wouldn't buy a watch from a jeweller, wear it for a night out, go swimming in the sea while wearing it and then expect to take it back for a full refund unless it was faulty. Perhaps that makes me odd?
I don't think it makes you odd. It's like clothes or shoes. Shops have a returns policy, but you aren't expected to wear the stuff outside, just try it on at home.