The Golf Topic

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by sproughton »

Thanks all for the advice. I've booked an hour with a putting coach to get the basics down then I'll start annoying my wife with constant practise around the house. If the coach seems to know his stuff I'll go back later in the summer just to check in with any bad habits I've no doubt got into.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Ok, here we go! I’m calling out to get some advice please. I’ve only ever played golf on the pitch n put at the seaside etc.. My only experience with a proper club in my hand was 20 odd years ago having a few hits with one of my mates at the time on a driving range down at The Belfry - thats it. Oh, and I love nipping into the 4D golf at Xscape near Castleford (if any of you are near by and haven’t tried it, go have some fun, it’s a good laugh!). Ive always enjoyed watching golf on TV, always fancied a go ‘properly’ and have decided now is the time to give it a crack. What’s tipped me over into fully deciding I want to have a go is the last 16 months have been particularly trying, work wise, as I run a business in health and social care - 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The ever changing landscape, new rules, regulations due to COVID etc.. have taken its toll a little mentally but I’ll not go into that. Anyway, I have thought long and hard and think golf could give me that few hours ‘recharge time’ away from everything. I have no mates that are remotely interested in playing so, I’d be on my own. My sporting background is rugby and cricket - I’ve played representative level in both rugby league and union and county seconds at cricket so I like to think I have decent hand/eye coordination. Firstly, I’m after a little general advice about getting into playing at 46 years old, things to look out for etc.. so I don’t go wasting any money/get ripped off and, secondly, if there’s anyone on here in the Wakefield/Pontefract area that can recommend anywhere to go for beginner lessons etc…. I’ve found a bloke on the old t’interweb called Mark Davis who does lessons at Waterton Park Golf Club in Wakefield and seems ok but all info/recommendations etc… gratefully received. Anyway I’ve banged on enough so over to you guys to try and put me on the right track. Cheers!
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

You will soon make friends at a golf club once you have played a few times...then you will have people to play with!

I personally would definitely recommend some initial lessons from a decent teacher in order to develop a correct swing. This hopefully will prevent you doing what so many of us do and start by making it up as we go along or learning from a friend. Bad habits galore ensue!
I would hold fire from buying any clubs until you’ve visited said pro..they will be able to recommend you something that suits you.

Get a decent and comfortable pair of shoes. Don’t skimp...you will be walking miles & miles in them. Personally I would recommend Footjoy. They are,for me,the most consistently comfortable and best performing shoes I have purchased and you can reliably wear them straight from the box without issue.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

TigerChris wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:30 am Ive always enjoyed watching golf on TV,
First, ignore everything you think you have learned from watching on TV (see one of my comments above). Golf on TV is primarily entertainment and you don't get a sense of the real game. Keep in mind that they only show the very best shots and the very worst. There are a whole bunch in the middle that don't get air time.

Don't be afraid to ask the pros for references before you plunk down your money. Any good pro will be more than happy to give you a few.

When talking to the pro be honest with the current state of your game and think about what goal you want to achieve. It will make the sessions more focused and useful.

If you can, see if a local pro does small group lessons for beginners (4-5 persons). It can be cheaper and it may get you a leg up on getting some new partners. You will all be at roughly the same level.

Don't be afraid to play with people who are a little better than you. It will actually help. You won't want to play with a scratch player for example because that will just be frustrating but someone who has a few years under their belt and is beginning to figure things out will help.

Pick up and read Ben Hogan's Five Lessons. Get started in the right direction right from the beginning.

One thing I wish I would have done in my earlier years with the game is put more effort into the mental aspects of the game. Being able to let things go and be in the moment will help your enjoyment of an outing. Especially when things are just not working and believe me you will have stretches like that. Two books I would recommend are Zen Golf and Golf is Not a Game of Perfect.

Spend more time on the practice putting green than anywhere else. Putting will make or break your game!
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

rkovars wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:45 pm
If you can, see if a local pro does small group lessons for beginners (4-5 persons). It can be cheaper and it may get you a leg up on getting some new partners. You will all be at roughly the same level.

Don't be afraid to play with people who are a little better than you. It will actually help. You won't want to play with a scratch player for example because that will just be frustrating but someone who has a few years under their belt and is beginning to figure things out will help.
I didn't play this game until about 20 years ago. When I first started I took some group lessons. It was a great way to get started. I then went to a golf school for several years in a row where they had a max 4 per PGA pro. It was well worth the annual investment.
rkovars wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:45 pm
Pick up and read Ben Hogan's Five Lessons. Get started in the right direction right from the beginning.

like that. Two books I would recommend are Zen Golf and Golf is Not a Game of Perfect.

Spend more time on the practice putting green than anywhere else. Putting will make or break your game!
Excellent recommendations. Never underestimate the mental game. The putting and wedges (the short game) is a must. It can make up for a variety of sins. I would also throw in learn to read the greens. Just take things one step at a time.

More importantly is to have fun and be with your friends and fellow golfers. It is the hardest sport I have ever taken part in, but I enjoy it even on a bad day. remember that ony the elite of the best can truly make a living at this game. Watch the pros closely and you will see that they screw up too.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

Went out today planning on playing 27 holes. turned out my league match partner didn't show so I played against the course. Fortunately I won.

Just as well I only played 18 as the temps were around 100 F. At least there was a light breeze, but 18 was enough. I did mange an 83 with a double on the final hole. I think I was just out of gas.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Thanks for the bits of general advice above. The mental side of any sport is not to be underestimated. When I was playing rugby league in Queensland there was one side that, no matter who was playing for them, we were beat before running on the field - a mental block against them. It was an area that we worked on a lot and so I do have quite a lot of experience in dealing with the mental/psychological side of sport. Great advice to bring it up, thanks. As far as shoes, I normally wear Skechers so I’ll hope they serve me well. Do I need golf shoes or, to start with, are normal shoes/trainers with decent grip ok? Interesting about the short game, putting etc.. - if left to my own devices I’d probably be concentrating more on how far and straight I could whack the thing! So, again, thanks - I know what to be watching out for. I am, by nature, a very competitive person and don’t buy into the ‘it’s not the winning it’s the taking part mentality’ - if you don’t play to win don’t bother is how I see things so, although it’s something I want to do to get away from things, I still want to be the best I can be over time. Playing anything with better players will always improve you at any sport so I’ll definitely be trying to do that. I could just do with anyone in my area recommending some options of where to go. One of the best, researching on the internet, round here seems to be Mark Davies at Waterton Park, Wakefield but it looks a bit posh there for my liking so any suggestions greatfully received.

Again, thanks to those who have chipped in so far (no pun intended!). Much appreciated
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

I have managed 2 rounds this past week. On Tuesday my first 18 went fairly well overall. Shot an 84 with either good shots or bad shots. Seemed to be nothing in between. I did go into my match with confidence as I had played very well on the last hole of the first 18.

The match was very competitive. I hit par on the first 3 holes but was down 1-0 after my opponent birdied the 3rd hole. Unfortunately (for me) he didn't miss much the rest of the way. Although I shot a 40, he shot a 38 and I lost the match 4-2. As good as my short game was, his was better.

Regardless, it was a good day. We beat the rain and had a good time at the 19th hole reliving the match.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

TigerChris wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:06 pm Again, thanks to those who have chipped in so far (no pun intended!). Much appreciated
Chris, I’m in the same boat. I used to play when I lived in Scotland over 30 years ago but haven’t really had more than the odd game of pitch and putt since. I’m in the process of acquiring a used set of clubs and will be sourcing some lessons now that I’m officially retired. Fortunately I have a number of friends locally who play socially, colleagues in fact, and taking up golf will be a great way to keep in touch with them.

Lets compare notes. :D :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:59 pm
TigerChris wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:06 pm Again, thanks to those who have chipped in so far (no pun intended!). Much appreciated
Chris, I’m in the same boat. I used to play when I lived in Scotland over 30 years ago but haven’t really had more than the odd game of pitch and putt since. I’m in the process of acquiring a used set of clubs and will be sourcing some lessons now that I’m officially retired. Fortunately I have a number of friends locally who play socially, colleagues in fact, and taking up golf will be a great way to keep in touch with them.

Lets compare notes. :D :thumbup:
Sounds good, Steve. When I’ve sourced some lessons I’ll let you know :thumbup:
Amor Vincit Omnia

TigerChris wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:35 pm Sounds good, Steve. When I’ve sourced some lessons I’ll let you know :thumbup:
Great. Hopefully picking up clubs on Friday! 8)
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

Tuesday golf was quite interesting this week.

Weather forecast was for early morning and late evening rain with mostly cloudy in between. Didn't appear to be any problem getting in 27 holes. Rain was supposed to stop by about 8:00 am. We had 11:00 am tee time so no issues....or so we thought.

As we are on the tee the sky opened up with a very heavy downpour. We teed off anyway as we expected it to just be a quick shower. As we proceeded down the fairway we realized we were were going to need to sit this out for a few minutes so off to the side we went. After a 15 minute wait we were able to resume in a light mist.

I will point out that we started on the back 9. The 10th hole is a pretty simple 336 yard par 4. The green is slightly elevated and guarded by a giant bunker in the front left. The pin was behind the bunker in the middle.

All our tee shots were in the fairway, but obviously did not get much roll due to the conditions. I had hit a decent drive down the middle, bit it had died when it landed. I was hitting second from the fairway and had 115 yards in. Normally this would have been a full wedge for me but due to conditions and the fact I wanted to clear that bunker that was now full of water I chose a 9 iron. Normally 125 yds for me. I took my shot..I hit it well and it bounced once and disappeared. It was difficult to see due to the weather, but no worries. I was sure I had about a 6-8 putt remaining.

Approaching the green I didn't see my ball and assumed it had gone through the green somehow into the back bunker. We could see all the others. We looked about for a minute or so until one guy looked in the hole and there was my ball! It had landed 2 feet past the hole and spun back in for my very first eagle! I then proceeded to birdie the next hole (par 3). Frankly the rest of the day didn't matter, although it was just average overall and I did lose my afternoon match. My day was complete. I had a good time, the rain did let up and I finally had my 1st eagle after 20 years.

Now to get that hole in one.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Amor Vincit Omnia

Definitely a story for the 19th hole, Kip. Well done!

Looking forward to getting some clubs in a day or two and arranging a few lessons. 8)
Steve

magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Fantastic when that happens Kip, I've yet to experience it, but playing partners have.
It always seems to happen on greens, where you can't see the bottom of the Flag stick.

I'm itching to get back out, been to the range and pinging it better than ever, so hopefully, I can take that form out in the course.

Still watching the YouTube videos rather than taking lessons. And only looking at the Stack and Tilt system. So far so good and it just feels right. Might even take a divot after the ball one day soon.
Going to concentrate on practicing chipping before my next round, as I failed miserably around the greens, last time out.

Also looking forward to the watching the Open.
I'll have a little wager too, but only after the cut.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Well done Kip, first ever eagle and then to follow it up with a birdie…great playing :clap:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way