C8 Disaster-Resolved

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

C8 Disaster-Resolved

Post by watchaholic »

So my beloved C8PR has quit. After 2 1/2 years in rotation, for no reason, while in my favorite chair watching the morning business shows on my 3rd day off, IT JUST QUIT RUNNING. No drops no bumps. The balance is not stuck. It seems to be a problem in the transfer of power somewhere between the escampment wheel and the impulse stone. From the super tough DLC coating to the super smooth winding, rivaled only by others costing 4x, this has been one of my absolute favorites for so many reasons. No need to worry fellow forumites, I won't let this throw me into some crater of depression, it is just a watch, but I am beyond disappointed. :(
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Re: C8 Disaster.

Post by Thunder1 »

Darn!!..and such a fine piece of wrist wear!!..you're getting it fixed, right?
:problem:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Guess I'll try to start the process. I told myself a long time ago rather than going through the process and time of sending a conventional movment to the other side of the world, I would just take it in locally. While recently adjusting my ACAN back to chrono specs, he noticed one dry jewel, removed it, oiled it, and brought it to +2 spd. Then charged me a grand total of $55, and done in a week. This movement while not being beyond his expertise, may well require parts, which he would not have access to.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Hmm

I'm beginning to wonder whether these manual SH21s have a bit of a problem in the escapement department as mine similarly jacked in at 3.5years old and I seem to recall another on the forum earlier this year?

You'll probably have to bite the bullet and return to CW - it's not that bad as a process (though for me it turned into a disaster when DHL lost it) so good luck with it.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Thanks for the feedback. That would be a real problem if there is an inherent issue with the escapement. We will hope not. I have not had to send anything back until now. As to satisfactory service, it is as I see it, like many things in life. All about expectations. I fully expect from the time the watch leaves my hands until it returns will be a solid 12 weeks. Hopefully that is not too optimistic. On the other front, my experience with DHL has been very good. Last time I had dealings with them they got my purchase from Japan to Minneapolis in 4 days, including the payment of duties, which I thought was exemplary. Will probably be a few days before I have the chance to get it boxed up. Then fingers crossed.
Dwight
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Sorry to hear this :(
Hard call but I'd go with sending it to CW to get it sorted in case as you say it needs parts.
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RichM »

My SH21 auto power reserve is back with me after 9 weeks away for a warranty repair having stopped suddenly and unexpectedly during a UK lockdown.

It's going very well after a few days wear at least.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

RichM wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:53 pm My SH21 auto power reserve is back with me after 9 weeks away for a warranty repair having stopped suddenly and unexpectedly during a UK lockdown.

Any indication from CW as to what went wrong or what was repaired?
Dwight
CM23
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 8

Post by CM23 »

Hope this gets resolved - keep us posted on the outcome (and reason for failure).
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RichM »

watchaholic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:24 pm
RichM wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:53 pm My SH21 auto power reserve is back with me after 9 weeks away for a warranty repair having stopped suddenly and unexpectedly during a UK lockdown.

Hi, nope, nothing about what was wrong. I didn't ask either. It was always out of COSC spec which I was happy to live with and it's come back and within COSC specs so there is that. It was at least easy for me to send back in being in the UK.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

RichM wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:56 pm
watchaholic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:24 pm

Hi, nope, nothing about what was wrong. I didn't ask either. It was always out of COSC spec which I was happy to live with and it's come back and within COSC specs so there is that. It was at least easy for me to send back in being in the UK.
Thanks for the response. I'm not really expecting to find out the exact problem, unless there is some kind of parts list used sent back from Switzerland. That's just the mechanical side of me coming through, which is what fuels my interest in these tiny little engines in the first place.
Dwight
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Having the terrible tenancy to avoid unpleasant tasks, I have successfully put off sending in my beloved C8PR after it inexplicably just quit running. I am beyond disappointed, to the point it has shaken my belief in the entire company. This is, after all, a nearly $2000 (USD) watch, not some cheap $100 Chinese knockoff. I have, on the positive side, received correspondence back from CW service, so I will put on my "big boy pants" and try to address the situation today. I DON'T CARE if it is under warranty. This should not have happened. Is it due to poor design or just shoddy workmanship? What am I to do when I do receive it back from repair? Sadly, I think I already know the answer. It will be worn sparingly because I have lost faith.
Dwight
JeremyS
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by JeremyS »

Sorry to hear about your watch. The C8 was a fascinating watch. I’m sure it will be sorted, though it may take a while. I wouldn’t lose too much faith in the movement. These things just happen.

Years ago, I bought a Tudor Black Bay with the new MT5602 movement. It did the same thing. All the money in R&D, quality control and manufacturing Rolex had to offer, and the darn thing still quit inexplicably. To Rolex’s credit, they repaired it in about four weeks, but I never knew what happened. They simply said they replaced the movement.

On the plus side, when it returns, you’ll either be able to renew enjoying it on your wrist, or be in a position to sell it with documentation of recent service. I hope the C8 returns to you in perfect working order!
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Thanks for the words of encouragement. You are correct in that sometimes, "these things happen". Funny, but sad, how misery loves company. :lol:
The question remains, what will the warranty be when it is repaired? I will be sure to ask in upcoming correspondence and report back with their answer.
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post:
tikkathree
Dwight
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

watchaholic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:36 pm Thanks for the words of encouragement. You are correct in that sometimes, "these things happen". Funny, but sad, how misery loves company. :lol:
The question remains, what will the warranty be when it is repaired? I will be sure to ask in upcoming correspondence and report back with their answer.
It's true that problems can occur with any manufactur, you have to give CW the opportunity to make it right. When mine disappeared down the DHL black hole, CW replaced it with a new watch and 5 year warranty so I don't think they're at all unwilling.

BTW, when it comes back, wearing it sparingly won't help to avoid a future problem if there was to be one (which I doubt), just think about how often that escapement ticks over in just a day......
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)