Pilot watches

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
time_lizard
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Re: Pilot watches

Post by time_lizard »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:16 am Its a Fluco (German brand) Aviator that I bought from ukwatchstrap.co.uk.

I thought it might be available from Watch Band Centre but they don't seem to stock it currently.

Alternatively, they are available from Laco

Also, as I know you are a fan of Regulator Watches, you might like to see a couple of pics of my C8 Regulator LE
Thanks so much! Although living in Germany I contacted ukwatchstrap as Fluco themselves do not have it any more. There is a similar one from RIOS that I do not like.
UKwatchstrap might have the last samples - and Laco as well.

Yes the C8 Regulator is my favorite! I scan the forum daily in the hope someone sells it. In despair I bought a Steinhart Nav B Pilot that has a dial of similar design with a small second at "6". It comes in a brass case that I fell in love with and it is a wonderful complement of my still regulator-less collection :wink:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

time_lizard wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:45 pm Thanks so much! Although living in Germany I contacted ukwatchstrap as Fluco themselves do not have it any more. There is a similar one from RIOS that I do not like.
UKwatchstrap might have the last samples - and Laco as well.

Yes the C8 Regulator is my favorite! I scan the forum daily in the hope someone sells it. In despair I bought a Steinhart Nav B Pilot that has a dial of similar design with a small second at "6". It comes in a brass case that I fell in love with and it is a wonderful complement of my still regulator-less collection :wink:
Glad to be of help on the strap.

For the C8 Regulator LE I fear you may have a long wait for one via the forum.

Mine is my longest owned CW having bought it new on release in April 2017 and as far as I recall the only one owned by a Forum Member. I was able to pre-order it, based on a teaser photo in Loupe, and get a memorable serial number of my Father's birth year. I have since been able to get several other watches with the same serial number.

There are several of the earlier C8 Regulator around and about but that has a very different, classical, style.

Good luck with your hunt.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
time_lizard
Senior
Senior

Post by time_lizard »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:48 pm There are several of the earlier C8 Regulator around and about but that has a very different, classical, style.
That's good news! I actually hunt that classical style regulator ... :thumbup:
time_lizard
Senior
Senior

Post by time_lizard »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:16 am Its a Fluco (German brand) Aviator that I bought from ukwatchstrap.co.uk.
Fluco Aviator strap arrived. It perfectly fits to the heavy Junghans Meister Pilot Chronograph, that now appears "tiny" w.r.t. the strap :D
Thanks for the hint, although purchase from ukwatchstrap to the continent now impossible (due to Brexit or Corona or whatnot) :?

IMG_3076.jpg
Junghans Meister Pilot Chronograph
IMG_3071.jpg
Fluco extra heavy leather Aviator Strap brown
IMG_3082.jpg
Fluco extra heavy leather Aviator Strap brown
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

time_lizard wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:19 pm
Fluco Aviator strap arrived. It perfectly fits to the heavy Junghans Meister Pilot Chronograph, that now appears "tiny" w.r.t. the strap :D
Thanks for the hint, although purchase from ukwatchstrap to the continent now impossible (due to Brexit or Corona or whatnot) :?

IMG_3076.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg
That's a fabulous Junghans, geos with the strap perfectly. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
macdane

Post by macdane »

Agreed ... that’s a great look!
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

time_lizard wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:21 pm My first bronze watch.
Steinhart Nav-B pilot watch with black dial arrived yesterday. I absolutely love the tiny, tiny seconds hand busily ticking away :D
I chose the slightly smaller specimen with 42 mm diameter, 12 mm thick and small seconds at "6". That tells it has a savonette caliber, ETA Unitas 6498-1, also beautifully visible. I am now waiting for a handmade heavy vintage strap from mays-berlin.com (takes them 1 month to make) :problem:

steinhart_navb_42.jpg

steinhart_navb_42_6498-1.jpg
Hi @Time_Lizard,
I am very curious to see how your Steinhart Nav-B pilot watch looks with the heavy vintage strap and whether the case is starting to patina now. If you have the spare time and inclination, would you mind posting an updated image please? (I would be very grateful as I'm interested in this watch myself).
Thanks & Regards
Ian
time_lizard
Senior
Senior

Post by time_lizard »

Hi Tortoise,
this is the watch today with the wonderful thick handmade "Mays-Berlin Classic 74" strap (www.mays-berlin.com).
I cannot distinguish real patina, just a bit dullness of the metal and some scratches. Disappointingly I read elsewhere (uhrforum.de) that Steinhart is not using real bronze for this particular watch but some "fake" which does not patina. It can be forum-gossip, at least they advertise it as bronze.

I am happy with the dullness - for a patina-nerd there is still the quick fix with the boiled egg and watch in a zip-bag :)
Attachments
IMG_2963.jpg
Steinhart Nav-B bronze 42 black
IMG_2964.jpg
IMG_2966.jpg
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

time_lizard wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:43 am Hi Tortoise,
this is the watch today with the wonderful thick handmade "Mays-Berlin Classic 74" strap (www.mays-berlin.com).
I cannot distinguish real patina, just a bit dullness of the metal and some scratches. Disappointingly I read elsewhere (uhrforum.de) that Steinhart is not using real bronze for this particular watch but some "fake" which does not patina. It can be forum-gossip, at least they advertise it as bronze.

I am happy with the dullness - for a patina-nerd there is still the quick fix with the boiled egg and watch in a zip-bag :)
Hey Time Lizard,
Many thanks for taking the time to photograph and post those images. It looks very good to my eyes - both the dullness/patina and on that strap. To my mind, it's good to have the watch look old. Curious about the (fake?) bronze theory .... I can't find anything to confirm or deny it but to my eyes it does look bronze (if that's worth anything). I have had a CW C60 bronze for about 3 years now and it took a long time to patina but now looks really good if you like the dull patina look. (I won't post it here as it is obviously not a pilot watch). Perhaps the patina just needs more time to develop?
Thanks again for the update.
cheers
Ian
reubicon
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 16

Post by reubicon »

A couple of late contributions from me:

One is actually a pilots' watch in the C1000 Typhoon RAF, which I bought for my wife, but is now declared too large...
20210605_115021.jpg
The other is a diver, but with a Tiber leather strap looks quite flieger-diver to me!
20210527_130028.jpg
If we can have the Sealander then I'm damn sure we can have a flightsailor! :lol:
C40 SH; C60 Mk1.5 OB GMT; C60 Mk2 Green GMT; C9 WT; C11 Extreme; C65 Classic Gold; C1000 CE; C9 MP; C7 Hornet; C60 316L Black; C1 GM PR; C60 Mk2.5 Bronze GMT; C8 P2725; C60 Apex; C60 Elite GMT; C65 Auto PT; C60 Mk3 Black PT; C60 Mk3 Bronze Ombré; CWEC....
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

reubicon wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:13 am If we can have the Sealander then I'm damn sure we can have a flightsailor! :lol:
The C 11 MSL was, of course, originally part of the aviation watch “squadron”.

See Archive entry

Probably a more elegant term would have been “Aeronaut” but I think someone else bagged that.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
reubicon
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
reubicon
Senior
Senior

Post by reubicon »

The C 11 MSL was, of course, originally part of the aviation watch “squadron”.

See Archive entry

Probably a more elegant term would have been “Aeronaut” but I think someone else bagged that.
Ah yes, I like Aeronaut, but it just doesn't quite have that derivative ring that we need for CW pieces!

Perhaps Fliegernaut might be available!? :thumbup:
C40 SH; C60 Mk1.5 OB GMT; C60 Mk2 Green GMT; C9 WT; C11 Extreme; C65 Classic Gold; C1000 CE; C9 MP; C7 Hornet; C60 316L Black; C1 GM PR; C60 Mk2.5 Bronze GMT; C8 P2725; C60 Apex; C60 Elite GMT; C65 Auto PT; C60 Mk3 Black PT; C60 Mk3 Bronze Ombré; CWEC....
reubicon
Senior
Senior

Post by reubicon »

And why not continue the theme a week later...
20211120_131658.jpg
Got a couple of straps coming for this one that I hope will suit it well! [-o<
These users thanked the author reubicon for the post:
time_lizard
pizza_dog
Junior
Junior

Post by pizza_dog »

Seems like an extremely good new release from Hanhart; < 40mm pilot chrono: https://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Hanh ... 4p6518.htm.

I have a slightly larger monopusher Hanhart and absolutely love it. Mine, from the Non CW wearing thread:

These users thanked the author pizza_dog for the post:
reubicon
reubicon
Senior
Senior

Post by reubicon »

Finally, after several attempts I've found the forever strap! :D
20211214_161523.jpg
These users thanked the author reubicon for the post (total 2):
pizza_dogtime_lizard