Making a perfect watch out of two in different condition - or is it 2 perfect watches??

A place to discuss other watch-brands
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Making a perfect watch out of two in different condition - or is it 2 perfect watches??

Post by artphotodude »

I picked up a cool 1980's "Driving" watch for my brother in law's upcoming birthday - who actually drives a truck and delivers furniture. It wasn't in perfect shape (some brass showing through the Chrome Plating on the case), but still very attractive and 'macho' looking. Also, keeps very good time (+- 5-7 sec/day). While I don't really need any more watches, was so impressed by this one and how great it still looked after years of wear, & how comfortable the solid-link integrated bracelet was that it made me want one as a great "work watch".

Found another on Ebay. I suddenly realized the the 2nd one was in much 'newer' looking condition - with close to 'pristine' plating on the case, but that the bracelet did have much more noticeable wear (obviously from where it had wrested on a desk), and on looking at the first watch for my Bro-in-law, that it happened, by chance, to be in the opposite state with a pretty war-torn case and what was obviously a replaced bracelet (nearly mint). SO suddenly felt the urge to make a 'perfect one'. Since he doesn't really own a watch, and would most appreciate having one really cool one, it was obvious that the shiny new perfect one had to go to him.
In my mind, I thought that the remaining 'dregs' might magnify the wear beyond being respectable and I'd just go ahead and resell the leftovers, BUT, it was plainly obvious that it actually LOOKED BETTER TOO, because none of the Chrome was noticeably shinier than any other, and I realized inadvertently that the 'work watch' I'd wanted also, just became even more seasoned and perfect as a 'war horse' for adventure.

While it doesn't have the original specially-designed crystal on the one being gifted (actually slightly concaved - to reduce distortion when glancing at an angle to see the time), the domed replacement was done pretty well, and all the Chrome with shiny Brass battle-scars all polish up beautifully with some green rouge on a soft cloth. It was also perfected (in its imperfection).

Was a fun learning experience.
Attachments
oc.jpg
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Making a perfect watch out of two in different condition - or is it 2 perfect watches??

Post by strapline »

That's a great story with a great outcome. I particularly like the watch, I'm assuming it's the one you've gifted to your BIL? I haven't come across the brand before, is it Soviet? I really like the crown at 5, the 4 numeral, the GS hands and that gorgeous bracelet. Thanks for sharing.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Making a perfect watch out of two in different condition - or is it 2 perfect watches??

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

strapline wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:33 am I haven't come across the brand before, is it Soviet?
It says “Sdelano B CCCP” - that’s Soviet

More modern Russian ones say “Rossiya” - written as Россия in Cyrillic.

Great job, by the way! :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^
Yes Steve, I thought my straining eyes could make out CCCP. I really like that, it's a bit different.

D
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

actually slightly concaved - to reduce distortion
Now that's a really cool feature! Don't/didn't Raketa make those 24 hour watches?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

A cool looking watch, presumably not too large.

The outcome of a beaten up tool watch for you and a smart semi-posh watch for your brother is top notch.
exHowfener wrote:. . . . .
Don't/didn't Raketa make those 24 hour watches?
Yes, they do.

They actually have quite an interesting range of watches on offer

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:24 am A cool looking watch, presumably not too large.

The outcome of a beaten up tool watch for you and a smart semi-posh watch for your brother is top notch.
exHowfener wrote:. . . . .
Don't/didn't Raketa make those 24 hour watches?
Yes, they do.

They actually have quite an interesting range of watches on offer

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
36mm Wide. Is a "CHUNK" of metal, but wears very slim and sleek.

The result was a big (pleasant) surprise to me for sure. The original picture posted shows 1st watch purchased. Here is the finished Gift Watch with all the shiny bits, and all seals (actually pretty moisture resistant) redone + movement serviced.
IMG_20210610_162858239.jpg
Haven't finished putting the parts of the work watch back together again, but will try to post a pic of it later when done.
One really curious thing about this design, is while the crystal is ULTRA Low distortion, Raketa didn't want to cheat you out of a bit of optical flair, so the numbers on the dial and logo are concaved mirrors, so you still get an optical distortion on moving/rotating the watch - which just so happens to NOT make the watch harder to read! The effect of the crystal itself also, is actually pretty bazaar. It doesn't look like it is over the top of the hands and dial . It looks like a solid piece of material that the hands and dial are trapped inside of. REALLY COOL.

Raketa has become my favorite watch of all time. I have one of the 24 Hr. models, and a Copernicus also. So many of their watches just ooze style and elegance (for a great price). Kinda reminds me of Oris. They had a magnificent complex in Saint Petersburg years ago - their old catalogues show a work campus that would rival Apple. While a lot is made of Poljot's watch complications (that work great and are very nice), I often feel when Poljot managed a cool design, it was probably an accident, as the overwhelming stodginess just cried "Bureaucrat!"
Raketa, however got JIGGY WITH IT in a number of designs and had some spectacular small-batch concept pieces like the automatic alarm 3031 (now worth about $10K if you can find one). Also, if you want reliability, the '.HA' final series of 2609 caliber (19 jewel) and it's variations are war-horses that just simply is as good as a mechanical watch ever needs to be. Many are still working like a champ 30+ years later with no service ever.
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

So my brother-in-law LOVED the watch. I think my sister might be concerned that I've inadvertently created a new "watch collector" in the family :problem: , but also really liked it.

Also finally got around to finishing the 2nd watch (to keep) from the left-over parts. From seeing the other, I realized that the replacement high-dome crystal in the case wasn't nearly as good for the look and aesthetic, and while I couldn't find the original 'unobtanium' crystal, was able to find a low-dome that worked pretty well. It wasn't quite the right size (1/2mm too small), but cemented in just fine.

2 hands (Minute and Second) needed a bit of straightening, and the crown also wasn't original (had a Tag Heuer crown), but fortunately NOS Raketa crowns are only around $5 + shipping, so replaced that too. While not nearly as new or 'perfect' as the gifted watch, IMO, it's still really dynamic, comfortable, and of course keeps spectacular time. Will be my new work/sports watch.

A great feature of a lot of Russian watches is even if they are not "Amphibias", you can often lightly grease the seal in the back, and ad an o-ring around the crown and get a pretty decent amount of water-resistance. I've done with with two Poljots and this one and now can wear any of them in the shower without getting a foggy-crystal. NOTE this of course should be carefully tested near your bench, to get that back off fast if it's not working out. Wouldn't want to discover the o-ring wasn't quite the right size while rafting!

Here is a quick portrait to check out.
Attachments
PICT1226.jpg