Its got too go back :(
Cheers now, Paul
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: C63 Elite - innovation or gimmick?

Post by tikkathree »

stefs wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:01 pm Forget what I said.
Oh blow! Wassup?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

tikkathree wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:51 pm
Oh blow! Wassup?
See this new thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57029
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I like mine.
No, hang on, I really, really LOVE mine!
First off is the titanium case. I’ve never owned a titanium, mechanical watch before and each time I pick it up, each time I swing my wrist I totally adore how light it is. I wear mine on either a NATO or a custom leather strap so I’m looking at about 65g max. I barely notice it. Now, I don’t know if it is my imagination, but it also seems to be less noticeable when temperatures vary - hot days of late have not had it sticking to my wrist and when working in the chilled areas at work have not had it feeling unpleasantly cold either.
Second, is the overall aesthetic. It just seems to suit everything, everywhere with a quick strap change. NATO for very casual /pool times, discrete leather for everyday, and smart black leather and orange stitching for evenings out. Ok, not a fully loaded dress watch, but my need for that is once a year tops!
Third, the crown. Several friends and workmates have asked if it is a smart watch. Sure, I’ve put them right and the pop-out crown blows them away! This might be seen as a gimmick, but it is a useful, functional and very comfortable gimmick that I am delighted to make use of.
Fourth, weight saving. I am still trying to calculate how much weight is saved by machining slots in the dial, but years and years ago my father and I sat down and calculated how much weight Olympic cyclists were saving by (reportedly) inflating their bike tyres with helium rather than air. We worked out that a decent haircut, or trimming their shorts by a couple of inches, would save just as much! Still, I love the idea. The only downside here is that one can see the plastic ring holding the movement from the dial side; I’d rather a more discrete metal movement holder.
Finally is the “Elite” status. As well as my first titanium mechanical watch, this is my first CW Elite model. To me, this has the best-of-the-best status and I love it! Chronometer status, finest construction materials and a unique design are all the boxes ticked for me.

Keep safe,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

audio.bill wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:13 pm
tikkathree wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:51 pm
Oh blow! Wassup?
See this new thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57029

That's disappointing, especially as it wasn't a £50 purchase from Al*Express. :thumbdown:
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Jcalder68 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:32 pm
I like mine.
I'm, very happy for you I really am. I only wish I felt a third as positively as do you.
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Let's try this: I've surprisingly (or not) few straps which suit this watch but this is possibly the forerunner.
20210610_114159.jpg
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Jcalder68 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:32 pm I like mine.
First off is the titanium case. I’ve never owned a titanium, mechanical watch before and each time I pick it up, each time I swing my wrist I totally adore how light it is. I wear mine on either a NATO or a custom leather strap so I’m looking at about 65g max. I barely notice it. Now, I don’t know if it is my imagination, but it also seems to be less noticeable when temperatures vary - hot days of late have not had it sticking to my wrist and when working in the chilled areas at work have not had it feeling unpleasantly cold either.
Second, is the overall aesthetic. It just seems to suit everything, everywhere with a quick strap change. NATO for very casual /pool times, discrete leather for everyday, and smart black leather and orange stitching for evenings out. Ok, not a fully loaded dress watch, but my need for that is once a year tops!
Third, the crown. Several friends and workmates have asked if it is a smart watch. Sure, I’ve put them right and the pop-out crown blows them away! This might be seen as a gimmick, but it is a useful, functional and very comfortable gimmick that I am delighted to make use of.
Fourth, weight saving. I am still trying to calculate how much weight is saved by machining slots in the dial, but years and years ago my father and I sat down and calculated how much weight Olympic cyclists were saving by (reportedly) inflating their bike tyres with helium rather than air. We worked out that a decent haircut, or trimming their shorts by a couple of inches, would save just as much! Still, I love the idea. The only downside here is that one can see the plastic ring holding the movement from the dial side; I’d rather a more discrete metal movement holder.
Finally is the “Elite” status. As well as my first titanium mechanical watch, this is my first CW Elite model. To me, this has the best-of-the-best status and I love it! Chronometer status, finest construction materials and a unique design are all the boxes ticked for me.

Keep safe,

C
Isn't that great to see such a satisfied customer. It all sounds very encouraging for those that are waiting nervously on their order. Given that someone else on the forum has a very genuine QC gripe with their watch, it might be worth giving it a very detailed look over if you haven't already? I highlighted your remark about the visible movement holder. Why do cheap here, certainly when it is visible through the dial front? It wouldn't have ramped up the cost to put a metal housing in. Still...it's great that you're so pleased. Wear in the very best of health.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Now I think I'm making progress with an alligator strap which matches the orange dial highlights A TREAT!!!

But what's with the really funky cashback bolts? Them I like.
20210610_140812.jpg
20210610_140511.jpg
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ The star case back bolts are far less prone to the opening tool slipping

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

strapline wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:01 pm I highlighted your remark about the visible movement holder. Why do cheap here, certainly when it is visible through the dial front? It wouldn't have ramped up the cost to put a metal housing in.
Just to give an extra perspective, I can't see the movement holder from the dial side on mine. There might possibly be the hint of something through some of the cut-outs if I look very closely, but it's not in the least bit noticeable, especially on the wrist. And if what I might be able to see is the movement holder, there is no way to tell if it is plastic or metal from the dial side. So this isn't really an issue in practice.

Also, I guess plastic is used to keep weight down, which is one of the defining features of the watch.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

welshlad wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:53 pm

Just to give an extra perspective, I can't see the movement holder from the dial side on mine. There might possibly be the hint of something through some of the cut-outs if I look very closely, but it's not in the least bit noticeable, especially on the wrist. And if what I might be able to see is the movement holder, there is no way to tell if it is plastic or metal from the dial side. So this isn't really an issue in practice.

Also, I guess plastic is used to keep weight down, which is one of the defining features of the watch.
Agreed. It is visible as a light contrast grey so maybe actually it's either carbon fibre or titanium? You really can't tell.

Also ISTR fitting steel movement holders in Vostok Amphibias in place of the standard polymer movement holder AND YET the polymer holder is more shock absorbent - I'll leave that thought there.

You do know I'm keeping this watch don't you? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
desmodue

Post by desmodue »

Of course it's a gimmick. Mechanical watches are a gimmick by simple analysis.

A quartz watch is both more accurate and reliable, inexpensive and can be designed to look exactly like any watch currently available.
So why do mechanical watches even exist? Because people want them because they are mechanical and delicate and unnecessarily complicated...because it's a gimmick.

The problem, if there is one is that we tend to scoff at gimmicks we don't agree with and rationalize the ones we enjoy.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:32 pm ^^^^ The star case back bolts are far less prone to the opening tool slipping

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
So they're separate bolts to be tightened/loosened individually? Cool.
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

tikkathree wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:42 pm So they're separate bolts to be tightened/loosened individually? Cool.
Very much looks like it. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England