JJ04 Complication question

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
danielboone72
CW-watches: 1

JJ04 Complication question

Post by danielboone72 »

Hi,

Am thinking of getting a Moonphase. I do Astronomy and well will get into Astrophotography again in earnest one of these days.
The moonphase will be useful I'm just wondering how long it stays accurate for before needing an adjustment.
Anyone hooked one of these up to a watch winder? And checked to see if the phase is still good 12 months later.

I am thinking aside from using it as a nice dress watch, will also get a watch-winder display case and use it as a rather stylish and useful desk clock.

Cheers all
Garmin Forerunner 745 - Sports
C600 GMT Black ChrWard - Travel
Junghans Max Bill Mega Atomic - Business
Linjer Mimalist Swiss Quartz (Kickstarter) - Dress
Bulova Luna Moon 262Khz
GrandDads watch restored
Pulsar Lithium 10 First watch fixed
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: JJ04 Complication question

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

From the C9 Moonphase details in the CWArchive;-

"The first CWL Moonphase using a JJ04 caliber (modified 2836-2) movement. The new gearing means that the moon disc is also accurate to within one day every 128 years of the base movement's accuracy.

This was voted as Forum Watch of the Year 2015 by CW Forum members."

CWArchive - C9 Moonphse with a full write up in the CW Magazine Winter 2015 - linked in the CWArchive.

I think that means the Moonphase element will remain accurate within your and mine lifetimes. :wink: :wink:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

JJ04 is accurate to one day in 128 years, though I guess this assumes it keeps time perfectly when it could be +/- 10 seconds per day. If you advance or retard the time the moon adjusts with it so it would not be hard to adjust to keep it accurate. How often would depend on your exact watch and how it likes where you keep it (temperature and orientation can affect running speed), I would probably tweak it when fixing the date (every non 31 day month)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I have owned a C1 Moonphase since January and have not had to touch the moon since then, when I did take some pains to set it as exactly as possible. As to movement accuracy, mine was last adjusted on 1st April and today is 63 seconds fast so 1.8s per day. It gets worn about every 2-3 days and meanwhile lives on a winder. No complaints!

I chose in preference to the Moonglow (and the C1 to the previous C9 case) as I am not keen on pointer dates nor the twin moon effect and am happy I did so, it has a subtle way of beguiling. Mine came on a blue cordovan but I have switched it to the CW(Staib) mesh which I feel suits perfectly.
IMG_1212.jpeg
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
danielboone72

Post by danielboone72 »

H0rati0 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:39 pm I have owned a C1 Moonphase since January and have not had to touch the moon since then, when I did take some pains to set it as exactly as possible. As to movement accuracy, mine was last adjusted on 1st April and today is 63 seconds fast so 1.8s per day. It gets worn about every 2-3 days and meanwhile lives on a winder. No complaints!

I chose in preference to the Moonglow (and the C1 to the previous C9 case) as I am not keen on pointer dates nor the twin moon effect and am happy I did so, it has a subtle way of beguiling. Mine came on a blue cordovan but I have switched it to the CW(Staib) mesh which I feel suits perfectly.
IMG_1212.jpeg
Thanks Horatio, That's good to hear that's impressive drift 1.8s per day.

I feel same the way the C1 Grand Malvern is my preferred as well. The C9 was thicker and not quite as versatile I thought with the roman numerals. I couldn't warm to the moonglow either just feels like it's losing the dress feel now don't much care for the pointer either. Oddly I seem to like the new world timer with glow more than the Moon glow. The all black styling i think gives it elegance and they designed the case to look more low profile.

Might keep an eye out for that one when the mega sales occur. I'll have a hunt around the forums I guess that's been answered somewhere when these big discount sales occur.

Cheers anyway.
Bulova Luna Moon 262Khz
GrandDads watch restored
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

danielboone72 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:51 pm
I feel same the way the C1 Grand Malvern is my preferred as well. The C9 was thicker and not quite as versatile I thought with the roman numerals. I couldn't warm to the moonglow either just feels like it's losing the dress feel now don't much care for the pointer either. Oddly I seem to like the new world timer with glow more than the Moon glow. The all black styling i think gives it elegance and they designed the case to look more low profile.

Might keep an eye out for that one when the mega sales occur. I'll have a hunt around the forums I guess that's been answered somewhere when these big discount sales occur.

Cheers anyway.
My thoughts almost exactly, I already have a C9 (BDD gold LE) and the profile is indeed a little stodgy particularly on the 40mm cases, the C1 is so much more elegant and multi faceted. Plus, I wanted the white (actually it's frosted silver) dial and was not so keen on the C9 white dial's gold furniture, but again my BDD covers that so that was probably just me avoiding duplication.

Good luck with the hunt, they do come up once in a while but seem to be relatively coveted, rare beasts. The upside of that though is you'll most likely find one in top class condition.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
danielboone72

Post by danielboone72 »

H0rati0 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:08 am

Cheers anyway.
My thoughts almost exactly, I already have a C9 (BDD gold LE) and the profile is indeed a little stodgy particularly on the 40mm cases, the C1 is so much more elegant and multi faceted. Plus, I wanted the white (actually it's frosted silver) dial and was not so keen on the C9 white dial's gold furniture, but again my BDD covers that so that was probably just me avoiding duplication.

Good luck with the hunt, they do come up once in a while but seem to be relatively coveted, rare beasts. The upside of that though is you'll most likely find one in top class condition.
Actually Horatio.

While researching moon phases and dress watches in general you realize how few of them actually can be read at night like in a theater movie or the west end, in a jazz club, at a classical music concert, which come to think of it are perhaps my more typical scenarios rather than posh dining at fancy restaurants. That got me thinking maybe they are onto something with a range of dress watches with lume. That's the other reason am also eyeing up a Bell Trainmaster Moonphase in blue with black leather strap and with glow that lasts all night and doesn't need sunlight for winter.

Though pictures can not often reflect the reality of the watch in person I think it's time to pay a visit to the Christopher Ward showroom again and check the new C1 out. Will checkout the world timer while I'm there and the C65 Sandhurst looks quite nice too with the logo in a good place as best be prepared for the next round of sales and well 15% discounts anyway.

Cheers,
Bulova Luna Moon 262Khz
GrandDads watch restored
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

danielboone72 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:11 pm
H0rati0 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:08 am

Cheers anyway.

Actually Horatio.

While researching moon phases and dress watches in general you realize how few of them actually can be read at night like in a theater movie or the west end, in a jazz club, at a classical music concert, which come to think of it are perhaps my more typical scenarios rather than posh dining at fancy restaurants. That got me thinking maybe they are onto something with a range of dress watches with lume.
Cheers,
Oh, I do agree. Typically, a dress watch is worn in the evening so why not make it legible in the dim? I think the issue is that for good lume performance you need a serious application and so elegant hands and markers are a "challenge". Thus, manufacturers do without.