Do you ever ONLY want a bracelet (or a strap or whatever)?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Do you ever ONLY want a bracelet (or a strap or whatever)?

Post by tikkathree »

I seem to be in a non-leather strap phase at the moment. I've chosen only braceletted watches for the last week and this morning I wanted this particular watch but I didn't want it on its normal python strap. Really didn't. So out came the bracelet and I'm as happy as the proverbial pig.

Who else has phases of bracelet only?
20210529_111304.jpg
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Do you ever ONLY want a bracelet (or a strap or whatever)?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Yep, I get that completely. I often keep my Speedy on a strap during the winter, but as soon as spring arrives it’s back on the bracelet until at least autumn. I have a nice camel leather strap for my C65 Trident Diver but I just prefer it on the bracelet so it stays there nearly all the time. I bought a lovely croc strap last week that may possibly end up on my UN at some point, but again I just adore the bracelet on that one.

Those are my only three bracelet watches, but I do prefer all of them on the bracelets.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Can’t say I’ve ever had a bracelet phase. In fact, I don’t think I’ve had a phase of any kind. Mind you, my wife would say differently.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Thinking about my most worn dozen:

5 only ever worn on the bracelet. Absolutely no intention to try them on a NATO, Erica or any other type of strap.

1 now only ever worn on the bracelet. Had rather a lot of difficulty removing the fitted rubber strap when I tried it.

2 worn on bracelet for about 95% of the time. Off the bracelet one very occasionally worn on an Erica, the other on a fitted end link rubber.

1 now invariably worn on a bracelet. Did have a previous period of wearing on vintage leather or a NATO.

1 generally worn on the bracelet. However happy to wear it on a NATO, Erica, Vintage leather, rubber or sailcloth.

2 invariably worn on a NATO, Erica, Vintage leather, rubber or sailcloth. Because every time I put them back on the bracelet, I realise that the bracelets annoy me and don’t give such a good fit as my other bracelet watches!

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

While I don’t have a “bracelets only” phase for my watches in general, I have settle on a “bracelet only” for my C65 Trident Vintage. I’ve removed it from the bracelet only twice in the last two years, and both times it didn’t last long.

I have bracelets for two other watches but show no preference for them on the bracelet over other straps. I just go with the mood at the moment.
Drew
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

I've bought all my watches bar one on a bracelet and they've never been swapped. The only exception is the original CW Moonphase which came on leather and was swapped to another leather (shorter) and that's only because the 20mm bracelet wasn't available. As a chunky dress watch the moonphase is for special occasions and they are usually not sweaty or dirty so I don't mind but generally I prefer bracelets.

Not sure if this counts as a phase, I guess if you change the strap every couple of wears it doesn't have time to get dirty...
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

I only buy strap versions of watches nowadays. I know that the OE bracelets are good value, and better for resale, but these days I buy to wear and nothing I'm interested in buying will have amazing resale anyway, so I buy on strap and usually buy at least one other strap in a different design at the same time.
I find that having a variety of straps for my watches creates way more interest. These days, although bracelets are generally beautifully made things and undeniably practical, I find them all too similar. Oh and bracelets make me think of Jimmy Savile... :lol:
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

For 25 years consistently I wore my daily on bracelet, evening/dress on leather. Then I went through a leather only phase but nowadays have broadened out with leather, rubber, bracelets and natos all in my rotation. I have just acquired a CW hybrid which I like so I am open to more of these complex syntheses in the near future.

Mostly, once fitted, a watch stays on its particular for a good while but the changes do get rung eg I also tend to migrate onto leather for winter.

Much easier these days with quick change straps, though I have no quick change bracelets so they tend to stay put, but they probably suit that watch best anyway..
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

That is an incredible looking watch and looks fantastic on the bracelet!
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Ive got some watches I only wear on a bracelet and some I only wear on a strap. A couple of others I swap and change and I find I swap straps with almost ever wear sometimes, and then I have periods when they stay on something for weeks at a time.

My Bremonts are the ones I’m always fiddling with, the rest tend to stay put.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I almost always get a new watch with a bracelet if possible. Unlike most of you I decide how I like the watch best with a bracelet or strap and leave it that way. I rarely fiddle with changing straps until a replacement is required.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

I have an ok selection of straps for my watches. No doubt nowhere near most of you guys!

I tend to swap mine over as the mood takes me, however I tend to shy away from leather in summer. I usually go for a bracelet as opposed to a nato or rubber. Also, as the majority of my collection is dive style 40-44mm, changing from a coloured strap to a bracelet transforms it anyway.

I have the problem of only having a leather strap for my Zero West...... at the mo........ :-" :-" :-"
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

I'm a strap swapper. I have many more straps than watches. I get a "new watch" regularly that way, and a number of straps that go on a few different watches. Hail the 20mm lug width. Had to stop myself at 2 changes on work watches today for the week ahead.
Not really a bracelet fan, a number of watches came on them and came off them. A box of bracelets, although there's 2 watches that are just best with bracelets. Even these get a strap every so often for a "change up".
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
richtea
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by richtea »

Whilst i tend to prefer bracelets generally on watches and would aim to buy them fitted initially as such ..... once in every while i suddenly have a mad strap phase which usually involves trying and sometimes buying all manner of stuff :lol:

Also i have to say sometimes themed watches veer more to straps for me ie Motor Racing or Aviational style watches

I think for hygiene and ease of cleaning i much prefer bracelets in high heat and humidity though

But ..... at times nothing beats that change to a lovely new experimental strap ..... no matter if it turns out to be short lived :lol:

Regards
RichT
6 x C Ward
Assorted Swiss and
Japanese Quartz/Autos etc ...

Open the pod doors Hal !! :lol:
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

I'm just having a bath with my C60 Trident GMT with bracelet. I swap it so the watch is facing inwards so as not to scratch the face on the side of the bath and find it's the best way to keep it clean and hygienic after sweating all day :-).

I hope the seals will be ok in the warm water tho 😱........