Is the problem choosing not choice

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Stoowoo

Is the problem choosing not choice

Post by Stoowoo »

I love the CW brand. Rarely does a month go by without seeing something else you look at and think, if I cut back on SKY/Neflix, use less gas and eccy and I can therefore justify £XX a month on a new CW. But...

...are we being served too many choices (not including the inlinevairaunt size/colour/strap etc options - just the watches themselves) and maybe, maybe, is this having a continuing impact on the regular need for discounting and sales?

Don't get me wrong, Adrian B and the team are producing brilliant watches but...maybe hold back a while?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Is the problem choosing not choice

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Fundamentally, although the choice is there, there is no compulsion on the individual to overindulge at the point of purchase.

I might possibly buy the one watch from a range that I find most appealing, but my tendency is not to buy multiple variants of the same watch. Others may well differ in their approach. I do like the new C63 Sealander range, but I haven’t jumped in for either the auto or the GMT, because I don’t particularly need them. And I will only contemplate the Elite if a blue version appears. I’m trying to practise restraint and eschew horological samsara.

By the way, why not pop over to Member Introduction and tell us about yourself and your various watches?

Welcome to the forum. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

If you think CW's range selection is too big, try looking at any number of longer established brands, who's ranges are bewildering.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

^^^the catalogues for Rolex, Omega are literally encyclopaedic.

One way to look at it is that CW are maximising their sales by offering a number of variants of each model so broadening the appeal (different customers have different tastes, requirements). They are also being smart but using common cases to minimise production costs. If you draw an analogy to the car industry, you have he VAG group (and others for that matter) producing numerous model of car using only a handful of shared platforms.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ Absolutely, and as I said above no one is forcing anyone to buy anything. The only watch I have two of in my collection (in any recognisable form) is the C70, but they are very different, including different movements. I still sometimes wonder whether I have one too many.

In truth, I would probably like to see a wider range of very different watches than to see so many variations of the same watch (C60, looking at you!) :problem:

But at the end of the day, I ain’t going to buy them (C60s) so it doesn’t really matter to me.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Do not confuse model choices with variant options.

You can view how many models were introduced per year here.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

It’s sensible from a production standpoint to offer a small number of basic components in a variety of combinations, provided the variants can be efficiently assembled, which isn’t always a given. If you’re making enough units, it can be very worthwhile for the manufacturer as the tooling costs & break pricing on components are reduced.

Customers should benefit from a lower overall price ceteris paribus, but for those who feel compelled to buy one of each, well, that’s a different story...
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

I love CW watches.... must...not....click....the.....buy....button.....
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

Damn!
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Thegreyman wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:14 am ^^^the catalogues for Rolex, Omega are literally encyclopaedic.
You could say that about Speedmaster variants alone! :D
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I think Kip makes a valid point in that while there are a lot of variants of a model ( which I think is good) I reckon the overall range of different models has been consolidated a bit in recent times.
I went through the whole lot the other day and there seemed to be less in categories other than dive. I still think longevity for all is far too short but that is a different discussion entirely.
Cheers now, Paul
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think one big difference between cars, as mentioned above, and watches is that few of us need more than one car. On the other hand many watches are priced at a level that allows aficionados to buy watches at a regular rate, and this can easily lead to a burgeoning collection, especially if we have no other cash hungry hobbies.
Amor Vincit Omnia

stefs wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:53 am I still think longevity for all is far too short but that is a different discussion entirely.
I completely agree with that, Paul, as you know.

My other gripe is the “drip feed” approach when a new range is introduced. At present the Sealander collection is only available in black or white dials (black only for the Elite). :yawn: (slight yawn)

Now, I have no reason to believe, considering the general history, that there will not be further releases in different colours. Look how the most attractive version of the SC appeared after the paler blue one (admittedly very nice) and the apparently unpopular Black Sand. If I had bought the first blue release I would have been gutted to see the second one appearing so soon. As regards the Elite, lovely as it is in black, I would hate to buy that now only to find a blue version appearing in a few months. So I’m hanging fire in the hope that a blue version will appear. Hopefully a similar deep blue to that SC. If not, I will have saved some pennies. :D
Steve

stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:11 am
stefs wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:53 am I still think longevity for all is far too short but that is a different discussion entirely.
I completely agree with that, Paul, as you know.

My other gripe is the “drip feed” approach when a new range is introduced. At present the Sealander collection is only available in black or white dials (black only for the Elite). :yawn: (slight yawn)

Now, I have no reason to believe, considering the general history, that there will not be further releases in different colours. Look how the most attractive version of the SC appeared after the paler blue one (admittedly very nice) and the apparently unpopular Black Sand. If I had bought the first blue release I would have been gutted to see the second one appearing so soon. As regards the Elite, lovely as it is in black, I would hate to buy that now only to find a blue version appearing in a few months. So I’m hanging fire in the hope that a blue version will appear. Hopefully a similar deep blue to that SC. If not, I will have saved some pennies. :D
Having ordered the black I’m hoping they don’t for that very reason! :lol:
Cheers now, Paul
danielboone72
CW-watches: 1

Post by danielboone72 »

Well I think they need more dress watch choices there are plenty of diving watches and I'd say having multiple straps is no hassle and great for demos that was one thing that impressed me when in their show room. Can I see that with the brown strap sure no problem here you go quick releases the old one and puts the other on.

And I second the longevity issue
Garmin Forerunner 745 - Sports
C600 GMT Black ChrWard - Travel
Junghans Max Bill Mega Atomic - Business
Linjer Mimalist Swiss Quartz (Kickstarter) - Dress
Bulova Luna Moon 262Khz
GrandDads watch restored
Pulsar Lithium 10 First watch fixed