C40 speedhawk recent service. Not happy.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
andysej

C40 speedhawk recent service. Not happy.

Post by andysej »

I bought my Speedhawk back in 2010 and have worn it virtually every day since. I love this watch. I sent it to CW for its first service in 2015 and was delighted with the service I received. Proper packaging was provided by CW for me to sent the watch in. When it was returned to me I was very satisfied with the result. The watch appeared to have been cleaned and polished as part of the service . The cost back then was £145 which I thought was reasonable. So recently I decided to return my watch back to CW for a second service. No prices or service schedule were provided, just an email explaining they would assess and let me know what work was required upon inspection. No packaging was provided, just a post it bag. Eventually I was contacted and told the service cost was £250 as no faults were apparent. I thought this was a bit steep but paid up based on my previous experience with CW service being good. However when the watch was returned I was disappointed to say the least. The watch was returned in the same packaging I had sent it in, i.e. the box CW provided as part of the previous service, except the cleaning cloth I had wrapped around the watch was missing. The watch appeared no different to when I sent it, it was still dirty around the push buttons and had obviously not been cleaned and polished. Also the watch is bruised on one of the bracelet jaws. This was apparent on the first service but had been mostly polished out. The watch is again bruised in the same location but this time is not polished and has a rough edge to it. I have contacted CW customer services to question what work had been done. I was told just the internal lubrication. No cleaning or polishing was included. Further more the young lady in customer services told me my watch had not been cleaned or polished back in 2015 either therefore I was mistaken! I would have thought cleaning the watch and polishing any minor bruising would be a basic stage of a service but was told that it isn't. I was told that cleaning, had it been offered would be an extra £20. I am not very happy with CW and will not be sending my watch back to them again.

Has anyone else been disappointed with CW service or am I expecting too much?

Andy.
NeWard
Senior
Senior

Re: C40 speedhawk recent service. Not happy.

Post by NeWard »

I ran into a similar issue recently, I asked how much is servicing cost for my watch and was told I needed to "send it in and see", nothing is listed or answered when asked what services will be done and how much does it cost. I'm unsure if using Chris Ward for service outside of warranty period is the right move to do anymore...
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

£250 for a service of an automatic chronograph is more than reasonable in the current climate.

What's wrong with using the same packaging?

CW do not provide a refurbishment / polishing service.

Are you expecting too much? Frankly - yes.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I'm unsure if using Chris Ward for service outside of warranty period is the right move to do anymore...
I've never been convinced that a (often limited) warranty is sufficient reason to pay over the odds for servicing of any product, but if the price is reasonable then I would stick with the manufacturer, simply because they have access to spare parts etc.. That's not specifically about watches, or even CW - just anything.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I think Guy is mostly right.

However, who can fault Andy for expecting the same service he had before?

The differences in the 2 services might come down to a growing company’s growing pains.

I work for a very large insurance company in the US that was a minor player just 10 years ago. I hear from long time customers all the time how we don’t provide the same level of service we used to. Just part of getting big I guess.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:10 am £250 for a service of an automatic chronograph is more than reasonable in the current climate.

Guy
CW may not provide polishing, but I would expect a proper cleaning of the case to be a part of any service. It sounds like the case was not touched.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
andysej

Post by andysej »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:10 am £250 for a service of an automatic chronograph is more than reasonable in the current climate.

Guy
CW don't tell customers their watch will not be cleaned during service!
Nothing wrong with using same packaging. My point was that previously CW provided packaging, this time they didn't. Also they didn't return my polishing cloth!
What about the bruising of the watch during service? Is that also to be expected?
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Part of moving upmarket is to offer long term value and a thorough service including (maybe optional) refurbishment should be part of that offering IMHO.

I for one wish CW would provide an in-depth service menu, it would make me feel more comfortable about "investing" in CW.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

The service price does seem reasonable for an auto chrono (7750 in this case) for £250 and sits between a regular auto service at about £150 and the SH21 £350.

I appreciate that CW don't currently offer to polish or refinish watches/bracelets however I recollect MF may have mentioned that they are considering it.

It does seem that cleaning a watch/bracelet might be a good step for them to introduce whilst a watch is in for repair/service. If the movement is completely out of the watch, would it not be relatively simple to put the case and any bracelet in an ultrasonic cleaner for 20 mins. Maybe there are other considerations but it would delight customers to get their watch back looking clean and shiny and not really cost CW anything to do.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Quality Man
Senior
Senior

Post by Quality Man »

I have just paid £285 for a service from Hamilton on my 7750 so I don’t think the CW price is too far off, the Hamilton wasn’t cleaned or polished either.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

To my knowledge, CW has never offered a refurbishing service, with or without a service. :?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

I'm not saying that CW is pricey or not but a lack of transparency and a failure to set expectations is the main issue here. Easily fixed, so why don't they?
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I can't comment on the price/value as I have little experience, but I would have expected that any watch would be cleaned before staring servicing? Surely not doing so makes a nonsense of all these photographs of sterile servicing environments. finger gloves etc.

Fair enough on not being refurbished - some people like patina.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I absolutely think that you should have the option for a bracelet and case refurb/ polish during a proper service with the option to say no thanks if you wantto leave the history or patina. If you send a watch to rolex / breiting it will come back refinished close to new. That is as it should be to me. At the very least the bracelet and case should see an ultrasonic bath.
The service side of things shows where cw are still behind the big boys imho.
Cheers now, Paul
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

exHowfener wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:13 pm I can't comment on the price/value as I have little experience, but I would have expected that any watch would be cleaned before staring servicing? Surely not doing so makes a nonsense of all these photographs of sterile servicing environments. finger gloves etc.
This. It's akin to performing surgery with perfect aseptic technique, but failing to clean the skin prior to making the first cut. Dropping a perfectly clean movement back into a dirty case is inviting movement failure due to debris inside the case.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.