Forum member observations after two years

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Forum member observations after two years

Post by strapline »

ciclismosam wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:58 pm This has been interesting to think about and thanks for sharing your own journey in the forum.
Thank you very much, ciclismosam. I notice that you have made a return to the forum of late, I certainly enjoyed your SOTC post recently. I think it's one of the more interesting threads on the forum, you learn lot about people and their watch choices.
nbg wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:03 pm The forum is different things to different people. Some are only interested in watch related content, many others are equally interested in the non watch content. I put myself in that category.
Neil
A really valid point Neil, and something that keeps this forum fresh and lively. But, again, given all the various discussions going on, it would be lovely to see a broader engagement. Another thing that I have been thinking is that although a lot of people are here because they are watch fans, not all people are comfortable writing or articulating their thoughts. You may love CW, Seiko or Hamilton etc, but you might not feel very comfortable exchanging your viewpoint in written form.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

There are some very interesting observations here. For my part, this forum is the only one that I actively participate in. On every other forum I’m one of the faceless lurkers, often a member but rarely or never posting; it’s only here that I happily interact.

I sometimes wonder why that is and I can put it down to a number of reasons;
- As mentioned, this forum is not only about watches. Even if I was bored with watches there’s probably something here to see anyway.
- The forum’s principles and moderation mean that it’s a much “friendlier” place than most others. Flame wars? Rarely if ever here.... I like that and it encourages people to contribute, even if they don’t start threads or even generate many responses. It happens to all of us.
- There are many genuinely nice people that frequent this place. As per another previous comment, I’d be happy to share a beer with almost any of them. Except I don’t drink beer... Choose another beverage and we’ll be fine!
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I have been following this thread with interest, so I'll chip in my two cents.

Though not really a lurker, I prefer to observe much more than I contribute (less than 2 posts a day on average) and only start the occasional thread. For me too, this is the only forum I make any contribution to though always mindful that access is open as I am not at all interested in trolls and pointless squabbles which thankfully are more or less absent here thanks to the forum's values.

It is a pity that more people do not actively participate, but I like the path this community gently wanders as is, if others do not, so be it.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Great thread, Des.
To some extent I came for the watches and stayed for the community. Mods take a bow. Friendly, supportive, wide-ranging in the topics discussed.
It took me a while to get a "lay of the land" and feel I might have something to contribute every so often. I still lurk on threads where I feel I have more to learn than to say.

There is plenty of watch collecting experience here at so many different levels both in watches and the way-points of the journey. It's given me the confidence to explore higher-tier pieces with success rather than just expense.
And so many great characters who are genuinely decent folk, with a passion for what unites us.

A fine line at times: I prefer to make comments that contribute rather than make noise although conceding guilt of the last at times. I'm human.
That said, sometimes a little suggestion can make a big difference, and Des you know what I'm talking about - those boxes!
One day when the world gets normal again I'd also share a drink with a good number of folks here (what, actually use a passport?), although it would have to be a good coffee. Yes, an Aussie who doesn't drink alcohol. Shock!
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Ive not even logged on the forum for several months for personal reasons.

As a couple have already said, I joined having made my first "real" watch purchase (c60 Saphire). I wanted to learn about stuff in general. I knew I liked watches and the mechanics behind them but had no idea why. I wanted to know what made a "good" watch, what to avoid, and everything inbetween.

Ill be completely honest, I was going to use the forum purely to improve my knowledge, but discovered its more than a point of info. Theres really nice decent people on here. Admittedly, some of you may be complete loonies in real life but id happily share a beer (or brew) with any of you given the chance! :thumbup:

Ive had a few recent bad experiences with cw which has totally put me off buying another, but having the deverse range of topics on here means anyone can chip in with stuff on any thread. Thats appealing to me.

I cant compare this to any other site as im not on any social media platform. Facetube and instabook etc have less than zero appeal to me. In my mind, the fact I stay on this site despite zero interest in ANY form of social media, is testament to the mods and all members who pitch in with watches, comments and updates.

Paul.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Comment redacted for stupidity. Someone else said it first, and better.
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Noush wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:08 am Great thread, Des.

To some extent I came for the watches and stayed for the community. Mods take a bow. Friendly, supportive, wide-ranging in the topics discussed.
What a sublime line that is Chris! That should be incorporated on to the home page in some way; what d'ya think mods?
Dickchins wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:33 am
I wanted to learn about stuff in general. I knew I liked watches and the mechanics behind them but had no idea why. I wanted to know what made a "good" watch, what to avoid, and everything inbetween.

Paul.
Pretty much my sentiments from my OP, Paul. The forum has been indispensable in that regard.

Des
KevinB
Senior
Senior

Post by KevinB »

I come here more days than not. I actually enjoy the watch conversations more here than on WUS. Typically more collegial here and I really don't like Facebook as a "forum". I use Facebook to catch up on my friends and Instagram to see watches and travel photos. I want my forum to be a forum. I'm just not a big contributor. I appreciate watches, probably fancy myself an enthusiast even, but I'm not a collector and not encyclopedic on references and such. I just enjoy sitting down in the pub that this forum is and listening to the conversations around me while I sip my pint. I learn so much here.

This forum is ultimately what led to my first Trident GMT (Red White Chr. Ward) which led me to my C8 Flyer. With those, I didn't have much reason to get anything new when the new logo came out at 9 o'clock and I ventured to Halios and Astor+Banks. But then that C63 GMT came out .... I couldn't be happier the black GMT. It is just stunning.

Kevin
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

KevinB wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:26 pm I just enjoy sitting down in the pub that this forum is and listening to the conversations around me while I sip my pint. I learn so much here.
Kevin
Only just read this and what lovely imagery it is too! With the temps warming up in the northern hemisphere, at last, I'm beginning to think about a pint or two outside in the sun, in company. Maybe gazing down at the ol' watch from time to time as the sun plays on the dial. Hopefully better days are round the corner for all of us.

Des
KevinB
Senior
Senior

Post by KevinB »

strapline wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:11 am Only just read this and what lovely imagery it is too! With the temps warming up in the northern hemisphere, at last, I'm beginning to think about a pint or two outside in the sun, in company. Maybe gazing down at the ol' watch from time to time as the sun plays on the dial. Hopefully better days are round the corner for all of us.
Des
I sure hope so, Des! I'm ready for a pint for certain!