Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: C63 GMT Black dial vs White dial.

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Bident wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:10 pm
Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:25 pm

I attach a few photos with side by side placements for comparison. I'd be interested in your thoughts.....

I think it looks fantastic on you. I find whenever I get a watch that is at first either too large or too small looking, after a few days of wearing it the size seems to somehow "normalize." Afterward, when I put on a watch that is bigger or smaller, that watch looks larger or more dimunitive than what I previously remember. I know it's just my mind playing tricks, so I enjoy the variety of sizes in my collection. If anything, I somewhat prefer a slightly larger dial like the C63 (due to its thinner bezel) as my 50 something year old eyes keep getting worse near vision.
Thanks Bident, I think I’m in the ‘normalise’ phase too. There’s a lot to like about the watch and it’s unique in my collection, so I’m hoping we’ll bond in the next few days. It’s very legible to my 51 year old eyes :)
Redzepplin

Post by Redzepplin »

I am just ready to pull the trigger but can't decide between black or white you comments about 50yr+ eye might just have helped out here :thumbup: (looks like i am going for black)
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Redzepplin wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:31 pm I am just ready to pull the trigger but can't decide between black or white you comments about 50yr+ eye might just have helped out here :thumbup: (looks like i am going for black)
:lol: Looks like we're all in the same boat.
Best regards,
John
Gower8484
Senior
Senior

Post by Gower8484 »

I like both, got a white one on order
Lu..
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Lu.. »

Admit-to-IM wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:21 pm New to the forum! I just bought my first Christopher Ward watch last week - the C63 White GMT. It is truly stunning. I'm very impressed with the dial, case edges, and overall finishing. So crisp and tidy. 39 mm is the perfect size for me (I think the automatic version would have worked perhaps a bit better as a 36 mm but what are you going to do?).

The only quibble I have is with the GMT hand: I wish it was fully orange. On the black dial, I love how the base of the GMT hand blends into the dial but on the white dial, it obviously doesn't blend in.

I've been looking at CW for a while and I couldn't resist this C63 GMT and I think this will be the first of many CW watches for me. They are undoubtedly one of the most exciting watch brands today - between this release and last year's compressor and sapphire releases, they are really knocking it out of the park.
I hear you...the GMT hand on the white dial should've been fully orange.

Having said that, prefer the black over the white and the "ghost" gmt hand effect is really cool.....
Ω Moonwatch 3861 Sapphire ... Bulova "Mickey Mouse" ... C.Ward C65 Trident ... Movado Esperanza Museum ... Longines Model 2133
KornSaksakorn
Senior
Senior

Post by KornSaksakorn »

So gorgeous, high depth, deep black, very legible at first glance, proving size does not matter (on 180 mm. circumference), hence light is good.
GMT hand is simply right, does not distract my reading of local time.

Surprisingly, the half-link makes sizing to my wrist better. Need one for C63 GMT. Since 2 provided, another one is used with C60 Blue.

tempImageaf7LeT.gif
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Mon May 10, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photo 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
Korn Saksakorn S.
hucifwr

Post by hucifwr »

Lu.. wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:15 pm
This is the question: why isn't it? Would have matched the blank and white dials equally well.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

hucifwr wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:47 pm
This is the question: why isn't it? Would have matched the blank and white dials equally well.
My guess is that because the hands are gunmetal on the white dial, it would be a reasonably close match to those.

In reality, some pics show the hands almost black and a decent match, but others show them almost steel-like and the GMT hand does look a bit out of place.
As with these things, I'm sure it is much less obvious in person.
Ryan
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I like the half black/orange GMT, it makes it more discrete. Full orange on the black background would have made it too dominant
hucifwr

Post by hucifwr »

StrappedUp wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:58 pm
My guess is that because the hands are gunmetal on the white dial, it would be a reasonably close match to those.

In reality, some pics show the hands almost black and a decent match, but others show them almost steel-like and the GMT hand does look a bit out of place.
As with these things, I'm sure it is much less obvious in person.
I have the white automatic and rarely do the hands look even close to black.

Better make it fully orange and 100% match the lettering that already exists on the dial than make it half #000000 back and make it sort-of-but-not-really match the minute/hour hands, IMO
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

hucifwr wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:51 pm I have the white automatic and rarely do the hands look even close to black.

Better make it fully orange and 100% match the lettering that already exists on the dial than make it half #000000 back and make it sort-of-but-not-really match the minute/hour hands, IMO
Yeh, I don't disagree with your point. Merely suggesting why they may have chosen to use the black GMT hand with the white dial.

We did some renders for a white dial C60 FLE last year with a white/red GMT hand and it looked preferable to black ...
Ryan
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

...because it looks to me as if the GMT hand came from the C65 Trident GMT.
(just with different lume in the the arrow head)
Lu..
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Lu.. »

StrappedUp wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:49 pm
hucifwr wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:51 pm I have the white automatic and rarely do the hands look even close to black.

Yeh, I don't disagree with your point. Merely suggesting why they may have chosen to use the black GMT hand with the white dial.

We did some renders for a white dial C60 FLE last year with a white/red GMT hand and it looked preferable to black ...
Oh man....that looks fantastic.....if CW did that colorway....white dial and red GMT....CW could not get my money quicker.....hope CW makes this combo in a future C63....

In addition, I really dig that "ghost" white/red GMT hand.....that way the hour or minute hand do not overwhelm the area when it is near the GMT hand.

See...this is a perfect example that you don't need to be like Rolex and borrow some of their styling cues.....Orange = Rolex....
Ω Moonwatch 3861 Sapphire ... Bulova "Mickey Mouse" ... C.Ward C65 Trident ... Movado Esperanza Museum ... Longines Model 2133
Cafu

Post by Cafu »

Both look awesome although I like the Elite model a little bit more. 2021 is the year of the green so I wonder if CW will offer these in different colors, blue, green, yellow maybe?
To be honest I usually don't mind waiting and hoping to see if the model I want ends up in the 30 or 50% sales, but I don't see that happening with this one. So I guess it's RRP with this one.
KevinB
Senior
Senior

Post by KevinB »

I ordered the black. I have the Trident GMT in red/white and so thought if I was going to add another GMT, the black would be perfect. I waited too long to get it on the black leather so ended up with the brown, but I've got plenty of 20mm straps to try it with. Hard to pass up for $825 with the discount. My summer travel for work should pick up soon as the US opens so I've got a new travel watch on the way!