Might the C63 GMT kill off the C65 GMT?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Might the C63 GMT kill off the C65 GMT?

Post by jkbarnes »

With the introduction of the C63 GMT, I can’t help but wonder if it might kill off the C65 GMT. On price alone, I can’t see someone opting for the more expensive C65 with the C63 on offer. And is offering three different GMT models (C60, C63, and C65) plus two Worldtimer GMTs overkill in the line up?

I wonder if perhaps the C65 GMTs might at some point show up in the clearance section?!
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Re: Might the C63 GMT kill off the C65 GMT?

Post by Viognier »

Might be some foreshadowing there Andrew; given the C63 sales Kip shared I am aligned with your speculation the C65 GMT future will be discussed at CW HQ in the coming weeks. They may be the lucrative offering in the July sale.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

I'd certainly consider picking one up.. [-o<
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

I'd be VERY happy if CW were to send off the C65 GMT by releasing a C63 Anthropocene GMT, with black hands and markers. As much as I like the new C63 GMT overall, I think C65 looks better with the black on white dial and hands.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

I like the 'proper' quick set of the new GMT movement. Been wanting that for some time.
There's always time for one more.
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Paul Drawmer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:49 am I like the 'proper' quick set of the new GMT movement. Been wanting that for some time.
I didn’t think the new Sellita was a true GMT Paul?
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

richtel wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:20 am
Paul Drawmer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:49 am I like the 'proper' quick set of the new GMT movement. Been wanting that for some time.
It isn't. They have refined the GMT hand setting so that it is a tighter tolerance but it operates the same as the old 330. The second position adjusts both the date and GMT hand.

I would be curious to find out what the price difference comes down to. Having had mine apart, I find it hard to believe that it is the bezel. The rotating bezel on the C65 is very simple. The dial on the C63 seems more complicated to me. I wonder where the $200 difference comes from.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Quantity of raw material used perhaps.
Quite a few watch companies charge less for their smaller diameter versions of the same model.

And even though the C65 bezel isn't overly complicated, there are still more steps to assembling it compared to the C63 which is going to add time/cost.

Other than that, I got nothing :lol:
Ryan
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

All true. I would think material would be negligible since it is stainless steel. Titanium I could see making a difference. Very true on assembly time.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Also, I think the RRP markup is still x3, so only approx $66 of 'real' costs to CW.
Ryan
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

richtel wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:20 am
Whoops! teach me to skim read stuff. Thank you for the correction.
There's always time for one more.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

That I have a C65 Anthropocene keeps me from buying the new C63 GMT in white. Consequently, though, the new line and what I already have, has me eyeing the Sealander Elite.

To the OP point, I suspect C63 unit sales will drive the demise of the C65 GMT. The new kid on the block freshens the CW line nicely. If CW pushes the C65 line in a different direction they could more substantially differentiate the two GMT models.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Always the problem to offer close product choices, some cannibalisation is inevitable. From a company perspective better to cannibalise but attract or at least retain customers. Both the C65 & C63 have a place I would think, C65 is retro while C63 clean and minimalist. A hard choice to make? Maybe...
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Also the C65 is the only model with a steel rotating bezel in GMT. So it has some added functionality on its own not just overlap.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:44 pm Also the C65 is the only model with a steel rotating bezel in GMT. So it has some added functionality on its own not just overlap.
That’s a really good point I hadn’t thought about. And as noted by someone else, the C65 GMT skews more dress watch than the C63 GMT.

My initial post was primarily driven by cost, as the C63 is a decent chunk of change less than the C65. For me personally, I don’t know that the handset and rotating bezel would be worth the extra cost. And anyway, I prefer the look of the C63 over the C65, so it’s a moot point I guess.