Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: C63 Sealander Collection

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Qubo wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:01 pm
Kansas City Milkman wrote:Ahhhh, please stop with the excellent pictures of the white! I’m seriously tempted and the pictures aren’t helping :?
Here’s one more for today. Will change watch tomorrow. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s just made it worse!
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

After reviewing these the past few days I must say this is a very great collection of watches from CW, and it seems to indicate a fresh direction for the company to build upon. From the new dial balance (Fantastic! :thumbup:) to the new "Sports" genre itself (with those awesome #tide ocean straps), it seems that this will have a big influence on all future CWs to come.

The Elite is cool looking, and it seems ripe and ready for exploring the wilderness! For those who want a COSC-certified piece or something lightweight I'm sure it will suit the need. The Autos I think are real value for money. Good lookers and versatile too! I like the white/orange a lot (great pictures here!) and the black/red as well though it's too similar to my Monta to buy.

The GMTs I do really like! I think they are a step-up to the Autos for those who want something more. Yeah, they were influenced by Rolex, but they're not direct ripoffs either. They've got a more rugged and modern look to them with additional pops of color. The bezel being fixed is just fine to me as it's how Rolex does it too. To be 100% honest with myself if I ever pop up the money for a Rolex it's probably not going to be an Explorer II, so these will definitely be on my radar. :D
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DEV.Woulf »

MichaelMD wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:35 pm Here's one part of the GMT that bugs me for some reason:

On the black dial they used a "ghost hand" for the GMT where only half the hand is painted orange and the other half is black which helps it fade into the background

But then on the white model they used the same hand. They could have simply painted the lower half of the GMT hand white for the same effect. Instead you are left with this big black hand staring you in the face on the white dial. Maybe I'm being too picky but I just can't unsee it.
I have to say I agree with you, and comparing the two I can't unsee it either. The black version is better looking to me for this reason. The black looks like the GMT hand was made for it, while the white looks like they saved time/money and just reused it. While I don't know if painting it white would have worked, they could have had that part be gunmetal. Can anyone with photoshop skills paint the top part of the GMT hand gunmetal like the hands are?

Joseph.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:02 pm They've got a more rugged and modern look to them with additional pops of color.
I find this comment intriguing because I see the CW as looking more refined. I guess that’s just my take on batons versus pips. I agree about looking more modern 100%.
Drew
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Congrats to the Early Adopters and enjoy in good health! CW has done really well here. My personal pick - the white dial GMT.
I do take the point about the GMT hand on that one, and fair enough too, but personally not fussed.

If anyone wants to compare the black one with a Grand Seiko SBGN003....the CW is auto not (super) quartz and a third of the price. EXACT same size too. CW's value proposition is outstanding.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Just looking at the range on the CW website there and looks like C63 GMT White dial is now on Pre-Order so it's the clear winner in the range so far.
Didier.O
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Didier.O »

Noush wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:19 pm If anyone wants to compare the black one with a Grand Seiko SBGN003....the CW is auto not (super) quartz and a third of the price. EXACT same size too. CW's value proposition is outstanding.
That Seiko was on radar indeed. Love the design. Couldn't resist the C63 GMT black dial, so Im now putting the GS Elegance Spring Drive on my next purchase list because i just want to experience that GS finishing and detailing.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Any tantalising real-world pics of the black auto out there?
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

Amazingly launch. We need CW to sell a million watches so they will keep rolling out exciting new products :)
solidstate100

Post by solidstate100 »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:07 pm
MichaelMD wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:35 pm Here's one part of the GMT that bugs me for some reason:

On the black dial they used a "ghost hand" for the GMT where only half the hand is painted orange and the other half is black which helps it fade into the background

But then on the white model they used the same hand. They could have simply painted the lower half of the GMT hand white for the same effect. Instead you are left with this big black hand staring you in the face on the white dial. Maybe I'm being too picky but I just can't unsee it.
I have to say I agree with you, and comparing the two I can't unsee it either. The black version is better looking to me for this reason. The black looks like the GMT hand was made for it, while the white looks like they saved time/money and just reused it. While I don't know if painting it white would have worked, they could have had that part be gunmetal. Can anyone with photoshop skills paint the top part of the GMT hand gunmetal like the hands are?

Hi newbie but long long time lurker here. I have the white GMT version on my wrist right now and I can tell you in person in daylight and at real world sizes (and it not being a render and viewed thru a monitor with lord knows what colour correction etc) the difference between the gunmetal and black is virtually indistinguishable. Don't let it put you off it really isn't significant.
Gower8484
Senior
Senior

Post by Gower8484 »

White GMT for me once I sort out what I want in my watch collection.
When i first saw it i thought it was a complete Rolex rip off but now I'm seeing a much cheaper and attainable version of the explorer 2.
Like this one a lot
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DEV.Woulf »

solidstate100 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:43 pmHi newbie but long long time lurker here. I have the white GMT version on my wrist right now and I can tell you in person in daylight and at real world sizes (and it not being a render and viewed thru a monitor with lord knows what colour correction etc) the difference between the gunmetal and black is virtually indistinguishable. Don't let it put you off it really isn't significant.
Well, that's very good news. I take it the gunmetal is pretty dark then? If I do end up buying this in the future it's going to be a hard choice between the black and white! :)

Joseph.
solidstate100

Post by solidstate100 »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:14 pm
Well, that's very good news. I take it the gunmetal is pretty dark then? If I do end up buying this in the future it's going to be a hard choice between the black and white! :)
In some lights the gunmetal color is a darker steel grey and in others its pretty much black. Get one of each! 8)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I just got a chance to properly read the whole thread and a lot of interesting comments and observations.

Overall the response from the forum and from the buying public, from what has been reported, is really positive and I'd echo that. Superb value - clean dials, great dial balance/symmetry with the logo at 12 and a 6 o'clock date, more than adequate WR, display case back, great case sizes 39/40mm (for most people), good range of straps/bracelet.

The auto, particularly in white, looks excellent to me and I cannot think there is a better value watch with this spec and quality for the money. Having window shopped briefly after cycling into town on Friday, what else can you get for less than £500 from any of the well known brands you will see on the high street that can compete, I can't think of anything.

The GMT also looks excellent. Yes it shares a lot of the design of the Rolex but I still think has enough of its own character. It's fine saying it's not the real deal and preferring the original, but for most people the original is out of reach both in supply and price and of course the Rolex is 42mm in its current guise.

The Elite, I agree, where else will you get a watch like this for the money.

For me, they are all tempting although I probably own a couple too many watches at present. So I will dither a bit for now and see if I decide to sell anything whilst waiting to see what other colourways CW come out with in the course of the rest of the year.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

A very good review of the kind of forgotten about Black Dial version of the C63 GMT.
It looks incredible in the photos in the article.

https://www.thetimebum.com/2021/04/chri ... r-gmt.html