Can I wear my watch while Golfing ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Can I wear my watch while Golfing ?

Post by magicman »

"Can You Play Golf Wearing An Automatic Watch? | Automatic Watches For Men" https://automaticwatchesformen.com/can- ... ur%20swing.

Worth a read.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
drand
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by drand »

So not only does golf ruin a good walk, you can't even enjoy wearing a nice watch!
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

magicman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:44 pm "Can You Play Golf Wearing An Automatic Watch? | Automatic Watches For Men" https://automaticwatchesformen.com/can- ... ur%20swing.

Worth a read.

Regards Steve
I don't know. I think the article overstates most of it. Like he complained that after 3-4 years of golfing and such with his dive watch it needed regulation. Well, ya, it is a mechanical watch. It will probably need a service pretty soon.

I guess if the weight of your watch takes your mind off of the shot that has an effect. The weight itself is negligible.

I've played with guys for decades that wear the same watch and they have never complained of mechanical issues.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

My personal opinion as a longtime golfer, watch service person and watch wearer is..

Can you...Yes.

Should you? Do to repeated impacts and potential severe shocks I do not recommend wearing a mechanical watch of any type playing golf. Yes most watches have shock protection, but this is designed for accidental impact and not repetition. While many people do and the impact to the watch may be minimal, the potential for damage is always there with every swing.

If wearing a watch while golfing is important to you, and does not bother you, I would recommend a quartz or digital watch.

Whatever watch I am wearing goes in a protective pouch and gets swapped for Garmin Golf watch while playing.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I don't play Golf; no problem or decision to make. :grin: :grin:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Few of us play the game properly. We just like to think we can. It is a good reason to have a beer or 2 after a frustrating walk with nature and to reward ourselves for making that one great shot. :D
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

drand wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:50 pm So not only does golf ruin a good walk, you can't even enjoy wearing a nice watch!
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:55 pm I don't play Golf; no problem or decision to make. :grin: :grin:

Guy
I’m definitely sat in this camp.

Seeing as the main aim of golf is actually to play less golf, by not playing at all I think I’ve elevated the sport to its pinnacle.....
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I salute you guys who have the patience to play.

My last attempt on a short 9 ended up with me almost quitting after the first few tee-off attempts.

Didn't help that it was right next to the clubhouse beer garden where all the 'seasoned pros' were enjoying themselves at my expense ... hate golf! :lol:
Ryan
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Danbailey007 »

I've worn both my CW's and the EB Holton during various rounds of golf, it's never really crossed my mind about if I should wear them or not. I play so infrequently that I doubt it would be an issue and I certainly don't have the speed and power of the pros that wear much more expensive time pieces!
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
EcosseOz
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by EcosseOz »

magicman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:44 pm "Can You Play Golf Wearing An Automatic Watch? | Automatic Watches For Men" https://automaticwatchesformen.com/can- ... ur%20swing.

Worth a read.

Regards Steve
An opinion piece with zero scientific and/or factual evidence. Most of the grinders in the amateur yachting world wear automatic watches without an issue, far more impact than a golf swing.
The CW Collection: Now well used C6IPSI (#2)
C4IP4 (#1331)
C6 Forum LE (#64) -Sold to Tikkathree
C6SWS (#761)
Non-CW: A Breitling, 3x Omega, 1xMido, that now (13y) more ancient Raymond Weil and a Dead Seiko I can't part with (32yrs+)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

I wear my Apple Watch with the hole 19app. Very accurate yardage and very light.
In the past I have always avoided wearing a mechanical watch for the reasons Kip started.
If I were to the elite 63 world be a natural choice and in loupe it was mentioned as a good watch for golf
Cheers now, Paul
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I drive a Golf. Should I be worried?
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I just realised I am a Golf driver and that there are drivers in Golf. Help me, help me.
Should I wear a watch whilst driving my Golf?
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

I just realised I am a Golf driver and that there are drivers in Golf. Help me, help me.
You'll be fine as long as your watch is waterproof. The VW Golf name is weather related (along with Passat & Scirocco) and has nothing to do with hitting a ball with a stick.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
drand
Guru
Guru

Post by drand »

exHowfener wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:31 pm
You'll be fine as long as your watch is waterproof. The VW Golf name is weather related (along with Passat & Scirocco) and has nothing to do with hitting a ball with a stick.
And the Bora. But some Golfs have a dimpled, golf ball-like gear knob so exercise caution if you have one of those.

I don't golf but I have happily worn an auto when playing other non-contact sports.