The case for a future C63 Elite with a rotating bezel, m’lud

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

The case for a future C63 Elite with a rotating bezel, m’lud

Post by Dilbert »

Loupe explained why the C63 didn’t get a rotating bezel: ceramics aren't cheap, and adding a bezel would have hoiked up the price. It makes sense. And CW has pulled off a successful juggling act with the C63 range: delight with the designs, technical innovation (C63 Elite) and widespread praise for the logo. The latter is no mean feat!

But I would still love a C63 Elite with a rotating bezel in future. Why?

I use my watches as #GODO, and this usage includes frequent immersion in seawater. Titanium is ideal – hypoallergenic, and no worries about corrosion – and decent waterproofing is a must. My #GODO of choice is a C60 Elite 1000, which is a handsome watch (the Light-catcher case in titanium is stunning). With a teeniest niggle: it’s 15mm thick. For those like me who use our dive watches in and underwater, a 150m rating is ample. And a C63 Elite would fit wonderfully under the shirt cuff (30% thinner than a C60 Elite 1000).

If the Maidenhead massif reads this post, please could we have a titanium C63 Elite with a rotating bezel in the future? And I will happily pay for the ceramics.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: The case for a future C63 Elite with a rotating bezel, m’lud

Post by Richard D »

Dilbert wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:12 amIf the Maidstone massif reads this post, please could we have a titanium C63 Elite with a rotating bezel in the future? And I will happily pay for the ceramics.
Interesting but wouldn’t the Maidenhead massif be a better bet.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Dilbert wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:12 am Loupe explained why the C63 didn’t get a rotating bezel: ceramics aren't cheap, and adding a bezel would have hoiked up the price. It makes sense. And CW has pulled off a successful juggling act with the C63 range: delight with the designs, technical innovation (C63 Elite) and widespread praise for the logo. The latter is no mean feat!

But I would still love a C63 Elite with a rotating bezel in future. Why?

I use my watches as #GODO, and this usage includes frequent immersion in seawater. Titanium is ideal – hypoallergenic, and no worries about corrosion – and decent waterproofing is a must. My #GODO of choice is a C60 Elite 1000, which is a handsome watch (the Light-catcher case in titanium is stunning). With a teeniest niggle: it’s 15mm thick. For those like me who use our dive watches in and underwater, a 150m rating is ample. And a C63 Elite would fit wonderfully under the shirt cuff (30% thinner than a C60 Elite 1000).

If the Maidstone massif reads this post, please could we have a titanium C63 Elite with a rotating bezel in the future? And I will happily pay for the ceramics.
I would like to own a titanium watch also and CW's are great value including this new release. I'm not totally sure about the overall looks though so will be making a trip to their Showroom in Maidenhead (not Maidstone) some time soon.
EcosseOz
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by EcosseOz »

Dilbert wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:12 am Loupe For those like me who use our dive watches in and underwater, a 150m rating is ample.
15ATM is NOT a Divers watch, the absolute minimum is 20ATM, preferred minimum 30ATM.

36yrs+ as a SCUBA diver.
The CW Collection: Now well used C6IPSI (#2)
C4IP4 (#1331)
C6 Forum LE (#64) -Sold to Tikkathree
C6SWS (#761)
Non-CW: A Breitling, 3x Omega, 1xMido, that now (13y) more ancient Raymond Weil and a Dead Seiko I can't part with (32yrs+)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

OP: The case is well put, but there is another reason. If you look back through a large number of threads over the last few years, people have been crying out for a watch of this size and type with no bezel. Now it’s here, and some people immediately want to put a bezel on it; go figure.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

Post by Dilbert »

EcosseOz wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:02 am 15ATM is NOT a Divers watch, the absolute minimum is 20ATM, preferred minimum 30ATM.
I have been a technical diver (trimix, overhead environment, etc.). But I never had a watch – used as a backup timer – with more than 20ATM water resistance, and I would be more than happy with 15ATM for recreational diving. YMMV.
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

Post by Dilbert »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:07 am OP: The case is well put, but there is another reason. If you look back through a large number of threads over the last few years, people have been crying out for a watch of this size and type with no bezel.
I agree with them, and CW appears to have hit the nail on the horological head. The Sealander range has got to be a winner, and I wouldn't change it. I was merely making a plea for an addition to this range in the future.

Is there a market opportunity is a titanium diver that's less than 15mm thick? This thickness is a lot for a #GODO watch that many of us need to wear under a shirt cuff. If it's not a future Sealander, it could be a slimmer C60 Elite. How about a titanium C60 Elite 300? I reckon Seiko has botched the new Shogun (ugly cyclops, crazy price for a 6R movement), leaving an open goal for CW.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

EcosseOz wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:02 am
Dilbert wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:12 am Loupe For those like me who use our dive watches in and underwater, a 150m rating is ample.
15ATM is NOT a Divers watch, the absolute minimum is 20ATM, preferred minimum 30ATM.

36yrs+ as a SCUBA diver.
This chap would have told you that 15ATM was more than sufficient... :)
79CE338E-12D2-4E43-AFCA-D3C03CBECE69.jpeg
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The occasional times I use a rotating bezel is as an alarm clock to remind me when my car park expires. On reflection, I suppose I sort of just expected all bezels to rotate, but there's no reason why they should, if the GMT hand does the same function. If the cost is then £100 -£200 less as a result it's a good outcome, isn't it?
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Talking SCUBA only:

The first proper dive watch as we know them today was the Blancpain 50 fathoms. 50x6 = 300 feet. Be generous and call the WR 100m.

Today, it is ISO 6425 that sets the minimum criteria for diving watches, but that didn't exist until 1982. Minimum specification is 100m plus an over pressure test of 25%.

Allowing a generous safety margin and we arrive at 200m as the "conventional wisdom" but there is no "requirement" in a legal sense.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

EcosseOz wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:02 am 15ATM is NOT a Divers watch, the absolute minimum is 20ATM, preferred minimum 30ATM.

36yrs+ as a SCUBA diver.
The original Submariner (100mWR) and Fifty Fathoms (91m WR) would like a chat.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

If the Maidenhead massif reads this post, please could we have a titanium C63 Elite with a rotating bezel in the future? And I will happily pay for the ceramics.
Why not make the existing internal bezel a rotating bezel? No ceramics necessary, and no need for a completely new case design. Could even do a trick design using the single crown (like a GMT) rather than the traditional second crown for the internal bezel).
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.