Any experience with customisation?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
midnightlight

Any experience with customisation?

Post by midnightlight »

Hi!

I'm very new here, so I'd like to say hello first - my name is Tommy, I'm from Germany and only relatively recently got into watches. I noticed CW a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for diver watches that I might like. They really caught my attention with the trident second hand and the sapphire dial. I really fell in love with the CW C60 Blue Limited Edition - the blue second hand and blue ceramic bezel together with the tide strap make the watch just insanely gorgeous. Sadly, I'm a couple of months too late though :(
I tried really hard but couldn't find any C60 Blue for sale anywhere. So I was wondering (and started hoping): has anyone here maybe already made experience with a "custom" CW watch? I totally understand that it would be infeasible to custom assembly watches on a regular basis but maybe they do it anyways?
I already bought a C60 Sapphire and keep staring at it and staring at it and I think it is beautiful and I really do want to love it but somehow there is just something missing..
My absolutely perfect watch would be the C60 sapphire with the blue second hand and blue bezel of the C60 Blue Limited Edition and the completely clear sapphire exhibition caseback like on the C60 Elite 1000 (allthough I really like the blue crystal I think it hides a little too much of the movement for my liking).
What do you think? Unrealistic hopes?
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Re: Any experience with customisation?

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Hi Tommy, welcome to the forum - there's a lot of stuff in here!

CW do not do customisation, nor will they swap bezel colours as they have no desire to have 'non standard' watches that need after sales support.
Also, there are no repair centres, as CW do all their own work and do not supply parts, only complete watches.

The only way is to do your own, but you will need to obtain complete watches for taking parts from.

There are modified CWs, but they are very rare.
There's always time for one more.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Firstly, welcome to the asylum.

I'd very much suggest keeping an eye on ebay UK as even rare and LE models do come up for sale occasionally (though import MwSt will be an issue for you) and also the CW summer and winter sales when a lot of often surprising returns/unsold come up on CW's website at discounted prices. Here on the forum these events are much anticipated and usually turn into a buying frenzy so one has to be quick!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Hi Tommy, welcome! The C60 sapphire is a stunning watch, as is the Blue LE. Your best bet is to watch eBay or check out the next CW sale which I think will be July? You can also check out the sales corner on the forum after you e hit a certain amount of posts. So it might behoove you to stick around and have some good conversations!

This probably won’t help you, but I’ve heard that CW will do a bespoke watch with a minimum order of 25. Not sure how much they’d allow you to change or any other details, like if they even allow it for individuals.

Good luck.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
midnightlight

Post by midnightlight »

Thanks for the friendly welcome and the good advice!
kinda sad but I can understand that CW wouldn't do custom orders - the additional coordination and efforts necessary would probably be a nightmare.
I love the tip about the summer sale! Didn't know that was a thing and I will most definitively keep my eyes and ears open.
I checked the requirements for the sales corner, I guess it will take a couple more days until I get the needed amounts of posts but then I will keep an eye open. Already went through everything else I could think of, ebay, other forums... one was sold on ebay us not even 2 weeks ago! :(
From what I could tell, the bespoke watches are only meant to feature a company logo or something like that. However, I noticed that CW released a forum edition a while ago - are they still working on things like that? :)
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Welcome.
There hasn't been a forum Ltd edition for a while as the diverse tastes of members meant we haven't been able to agree in sufficient numbers but CW would if we had enough commitment.
Re customisation, a couple of members have completed movement dial swaps (and more) but it entails buying 2 watches so not v economical. I did a c60 quartz just for the experience and was obviously a more modest cost than butchering 2 automatics.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
midnightlight

Post by midnightlight »

I already considered doing a custom version myself or even building my own watch - I work in product development and prototyping and have some experience with design and manufacturing. Unfortunately the easiest parts for me to make would be the case - which is exactly the one component that I would not have to alter :D trying to remove the second hand from my C60 sapphire and coat it blue or try to make a ZrO2 bezel however is something I never had to work with.
I Sent them a mail just now asking if there is maybe something left they would be willing to sell me - but I guess I'll have to wait until the summer sale and see what happens.
The forum ltd edition would sound pretty interesting too - do you know how many people where needed in the past?
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

There are several threads on the last one, i think the title of each started with FLE #8 so if you search for that term you should find lots 😉 of info re the process.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands