Where’s CW on your ladder?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

Re: Where’s CW on your ladder?

Post by Dilbert »

What hierarchy? Individual models matter to me more than the brand name.
Enkidu wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm Its unfortunate that other watch heads I know poo poo the brand, very often without even handling one.
Is it because they have never seen a Christopher Ward in the metal? The fit and finish are fantastic, but you need to handle one to know.

Also, CW challenges some people's mindset that price is a surrogate for quality. But CW challenges this heuristic. If you have spent a small fortune on expensive watches - perhaps buying some because they were reassuringly expensive - then poo-pooing CW might be natural. However, I purchased my CW because I dislike brands that take the Mickey out of my wallet.

Some well-known Swiss brands appear to take their customers for a pricing ride (not only the purchase price but also the cost of servicing).
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Dilbert wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:42 am
Some well-known Swiss brands appear to take their customers for a pricing ride (not only the purchase price but also the cost of servicing).
Well said indeed. There are other HQ VFM brands out there but having watched certain Swiss brands' pricing over some 35 years, that is the exact sentiment that brought me to CW.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
CW257
Senior
Senior

Post by CW257 »

It's number one for me, given that I've owned approximately 10 watches in my lifetime and four have been CWs.

They hit the sweet spot for me in terms of price (£500 - £1000), quality, looks, and not being too ubiquitous.
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 66

Post by Laird »

My Numero Uno - given I've got over 50 now, and only ever sold two (a Regulator & a Pepsi) .... despite 3 or 4 very poor CS experiences, theres been good results in the end.

But suspect I wont be buying much of the new ranges ..... yearn for the old brilliant MotorSport & Aviation designs ....
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
Mani
CW-watches: 6

Post by Mani »

I don't think tiering by price makes sense. I have quite a mix of brands, but CW has the most in numbers, as I own 5. But most of my CWs are now older models, including the original jumping hour, so perhaps I need to get something newer to compare how they have evolved.
5 CWs, 1 Panerai, 2 Omega, 1 Rolex, 1 Tag, 1 Ball, 1 Zenith, 1 Tudor, 1 GS
Enkidu
CW-watches: 1

Post by Enkidu »

Dilbert wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:42 am What hierarchy? Individual models matter to me more than the brand name.
Enkidu wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm Its unfortunate that other watch heads I know poo poo the brand, very often without even handling one.
Is it because they have never seen a Christopher Ward in the metal? The fit and finish are fantastic, but you need to handle one to know.

Also, CW challenges some people's mindset that price is a surrogate for quality. But CW challenges this heuristic. If you have spent a small fortune on expensive watches - perhaps buying some because they were reassuringly expensive - then poo-pooing CW might be natural. However, I purchased my CW because I dislike brands that take the Mickey out of my wallet.

This, 100%.
I like to think of myself as a watch enthusiast but even I am late to CW but happy to have arrived.
Though CW has a great online presence, Id think alot of people are still unaware of the brand because there is no retail/boutique/AD outlet. And yes, the 60/60 is an awesome offer- still, I think most would be buyers just are not gonna take the plunge.

Then you have the people exactly as you said- they link price to an idea of quality. But the savvy watch head knows that's not always the case.
I still like all the watch brands I've ever owned but many I'll never go back to because price/value is not there.

On a side note here is an interesting tidbit I saw from from todays' Tudor release that show, at least I think it shows, that CW is on the radar of the big Swiss brands.
this blurb was part of each new 2021 Tudor model specs...

"Five year Guarantee
Five-year transferable guarantee with no registration or periodic maintenance checks required"

Seems like a passive aggressive shot across CWs bow. :lol:
Celebrate Schadenfreude!
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

I began climbing the watch ladder some 5 years ago, first through orient/Seiko, then low end Swiss Tissot, etc before going onto Longines level, then I found CW.

For me, this was enough and I have stayed at CW level (usually making up the majority of my small, functional collection).

If I were to break into Omega/Tudor level perhaps I would then become despondent to CW but for now I’m totally happy where I am.

I have attainable, really good quality watches, with a distinct British vibe, Swiss made and an enjoyable active forum to talk about them. I’m not feeling the urge to “move up”. Perhaps my ignorance of mid/high tier watches leaves me in a happy place where I don’t understand what I’m missing. I’m totally happy with that!
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

johncolescarr wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:18 am I began climbing the watch ladder some 5 years ago, first through orient/Seiko, then low end Swiss Tissot, etc before going onto Longines level, then I found CW.

For me, this was enough and I have stayed at CW level (usually making up the majority of my small, functional collection).
An interesting mention of "levels". Based on price?

When I started this thread this was obviously a part of the equation, but by no means all of it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:34 am
johncolescarr wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:18 am I began climbing the watch ladder some 5 years ago, first through orient/Seiko, then low end Swiss Tissot, etc before going onto Longines level, then I found CW.

An interesting mention of "levels". Based on price?

When I started this thread this was obviously a part of the equation, but by no means all of it.
Interesting point Steve,

My reference to levels is mostly quality, design flair, finishing, movement (which usually equates to higher price) and lesser so horological provenance. I consider CW watches to be the top of my watch ladder (the ones I get most enjoyment from), they also happen to be the most expensive.

As a watch enthusiast (I dont class myself as a collector) who is fairly new to the hobby, I dont have a lot of capital built up in my collection and so price is a big factor for me personally, if I want to get say an Omega or Tudor, or even say a higher grade Sinn, I would have to either sell off almost all my watches, or stump up the cash, which would be a real stretch for me.

Technically I could afford to get £3,4,5k watches, but it would be a big ask for my finances and one I'm not currently willing to commit. CW watches in my collection can be bought, sold and traded at a level I'm comfortable with, so I get to experience some great (in my opinion) watches without overstretching myself, if that makes sense.

Perhaps when I can afford more expensive watches with history and better finishing and movements etc I wont feel the same, I guess time (and my finances!) will tell.

John
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

Numbers wise it's definitely CW but not of the current era. For the last three or fours years I think they've become a bit formulaic / predictable around some ranges and a bit out of their minds with for example, some of the metal-filled specials - that's purely personal opinion and not meant as a reflection on those that do like them.

Most of mine were acquired during an "accumulation phase" which is a good 5-10 years back and also when, to me, CW were making a much better range of identifiable and quite innovative styles, often in small (or LE) numbers.

Some of my CW's are definitely here to stay and I feel compete alongside major brands. If I want to wear a dress watch then the C900, Jumping Hour Mk II or C9 5 day are enough to stop me feeling a need to look at alternatives. For sporty / beach wear a C40 or C600 does the job just fine. For being different you can't beat a C80 Sector.

Some of my other CW's are also here to stay but from a purely, and possibly questionable, "collection perspective". The early Forum LE's were unique and even innovative (and still get worn) however some of the later ones stretched the FLE process so thin that I have maybe worn them only once or twice. They are, however, all matching case numbers and therefore keepers as a fairly unique collection... for whatever that is worth.

Where does CW fit with my other watches ? I have bought (too) many other different brands over the years but 90% of these have "been and gone" so this must say something about my relationship / bond toward CW. In terms of wrist time, two of my "stickies" are a Speedie and a PO - love them both - and they also seem to dominate wrist time these days. That said, this doesn't stop the CW's making an appearance when the occasion calls or I just fancy a change.
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
keisuke_z

Post by keisuke_z »

I've primarily been an Omega Seamaster fan, but I've followed the CW brand for the past few years and particularly got more interested after the rebrand with the sans serif font text. I had a pepsi C65 trident GMT in my collection for awhile, but didn't fully appreciate the vintage box crystal design until a couple years after I'd let it go.

There's no particular "level" for me - it's more about the fit, finish and feel of a watch design that'll catch my eye (and within a specific price range, which CW first perfectly into). I hugely regret not getting the C1 grand malvern moonphase in the white dial when it was still available, which would be the perfect dress watch for me!
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

keisuke_z wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:23 pm I hugely regret not getting the C1 grand malvern moonphase in the white dial when it was still available, which would be the perfect dress watch for me!
I hear you, I had to grab one at end of days. Keep an eye on ebay as they do show up, but meanwhile to shoot you a quick fix:
IMG_1090.jpg
These users thanked the author H0rati0 for the post:
keisuke_z
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)