Introducing The Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight 925, With A Silver Case & Sapphire Caseback

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Introducing The Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight 925, With A Silver Case & Sapphire Caseback

Post by Thunder1 »

Interesting!!...I'm curious to see how this one w/b rec'd out in the real world.... 8)

You had me at "Taupe Black Bay."

The Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight 925 is Tudor's first-ever dive watch with a silver case (and one of two new precious metal Black Bay Fifty-Eight watches released today). It pairs that case with a warm taupe dial and bezel, which give the watch a look that is slightly softer overall than your usual steel-and-black diver. This isn't a watch that hits you over the head with how awesome and technical it is – rather, it whispers about how sophisticated and smart it is.

The silver alloy case has the same general profile as that of earlier BB58 models (including the OG and last year's Navy Blue), though it's a hair thicker at 12.7mm, versus 11.9mm. This is for good reason, though: This Black Bay Fifty-Eight 925 has a sapphire display back, letting you see the MT5400 manufacture movement inside.
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tudor ... ntroducing
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Introducing The Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight 925, With A Silver Case & Sapphire Caseback

Post by willttqs »

I am tempted by the silver 925 version for sure
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Introducing The Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight 925, With A Silver Case & Sapphire Caseback

Post by sproughton »

Quite like the look of it, but wonder whether it wouldn't just be better made with stainless steel and no sapphire case back to slim it back down.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

^^ The movement certainly doesn't look particularly beautiful enough to warrant an extra 1mm (for me anyway)

Edit - I like the look of the dial colour, but it doesn't look like my impression of taupe... I guess this is one to see in real life to get the real shade
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Display back. Nice, but not worth the extra depth.
.925 silver case. Nice, but will it tarnish quickly? I have a .925 cased watch, and while it is warmer than SS, it also tarnishes quite quickly. Tudor says this silver alloy won't, so I guess we will see.
The price premium. Over $1000 CAD for (literally) a few dollars worth of silver, and no bracelet option. Pass.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Yep. It's a nothing of a movement to look at, the attractions lie elsewhere: 70 hours, COSC yada yada. Extra mm, no thanks from me.
For me the interesting thing is where Tudor is taking the BB58 line, with both silver and gold-cased options. Those are not compelling for this little black duck, there's something in the brand positioning though...
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Silver and aluminium (from the case back) - that will certainly be shiny, don't think it will help with the hardness though. 92.5% silver means the unlucky few who go black within hours due to skin chemistry will surely still do so. The taupe just looks like an old sun-bleached black though my old monitor likely does their expensive marketing pics no justice so I'll reserve judgement until I see one on a wrist (it's permanently out of my budget anyway!)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

suicidal_orange wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:49 am The taupe just looks like an old sun-bleached black...
Probably nearer to mole colour than your average interpretation of taupe, then.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

suicidal_orange wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:49 am Silver and aluminium (from the case back) - that will certainly be shiny, don't think it will help with the hardness though. 92.5% silver means the unlucky few who go black within hours due to skin chemistry will surely still do so. The taupe just looks like an old sun-bleached black though my old monitor likely does their expensive marketing pics no justice so I'll reserve judgement until I see one on a wrist (it's permanently out of my budget anyway!)
If when seen in real life, rather than on screen, it does indeed look like old sun bleached black then it’s probably doing what they set out to do...

A tropical dial.

However a tropical dial wouldn’t normally sit in a silver case!

I have no idea what the silver case will look like in real life. Nearer to steel or white gold?

The attraction to many of white gold cased watches is that the wearer knows it is WG, but others often don’t. Even though in the metal they are easy to tell apart for anyone who dabbles at the WG price point.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

C'mon gents. An extra millimetre?

Its still only 12.7mm thick which, if you're not familiar with the regular BB (which I'm not) is hardly thick in overall terms.

The silver element looks like it gives a softness and warmth to it, which is likable.

Probably not for me though, as I have a general ambivalence towards Tudor (and Rolex).

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ Guy you have a general ambivalence to Tudor and Rolex? :)

That will come as a shock to many forumites, is it something you have mentioned before? :wink:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

If Tudor can do a display back, you would think its daddy would.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Let's have a few photos of this new BB58 for reference.

Good to see Tudor developing this line as most people agree the case is a great size. I don't think the display back is a bad thing, the watch is still fairly slim and of course it's only the second Tudor to have such a feature after the North Flag.

As to the dial colour and the look of the silver, it is definitely going to be one to see in person, AD's will be open up here two weeks on Monday although I expect it may be a while before they get any of these in.
nbg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:29 am
I have no idea what the silver case will look like in real life. Nearer to steel or white gold?

The attraction to many of white gold cased watches is that the wearer knows it is WG, but others often don’t. Even though in the metal they are easy to tell apart for anyone who dabbles at the WG price point.
Unfortunately I'm not one of the people that dabble in that territory :lol:

Capture.JPG
tudor_05.jpg
tudor_02.jpg
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

I think the BB58 925 has a rich look to it..I find it & the new Panda chrono to be very tempting..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

I thought it was worth a mention for the other new BB58, the 18k gold version. I think it looks excellent with a lovely contrast between the brushed gold case and the green dial.

My main issue would be the £12,610 price tag which is a lot for a Tudor. You can also scratch your green dialled Tudor itch with the BB Harrods edition although that is 41mm rather than 39.

IMG_1610_1200x.jpg
gold_02_1024x1024.jpg
gold_04_1024x1024.jpg
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way