missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Tudor BB32,36,41

Post by missF »

TUDOR_BB32-36-41_2.png.jpeg
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tudor ... ntroducing

The Tudor BB32,36,41 is maybe at risk of being overlooked while we discuss a new TT explorer, and other acts of jewellerification (my new word to describe adding precious metal or diamonds to tool watches....). I was hoping for a white dial this year, but instead it is to be silver, which makes it harder, I think, to judge the looks based on photographs alone. It's a clear line, though, well established, available now with black, blue or silver dials. Perhaps an entrance level tudor - certainly for me. I prefer the looks to the often-compared explorer I - especially with a lighter dial.

There's a small 'but', and perhaps this will disappear if I saw one in real life. It has to do with blobs rather than batons. Blobs point strongly towards the dive heritage of the watch, but then make it feel a bit naked, as if it really needs a dive bezel to make it work... I'm talking off the top of my head here! Does this watch hang together in its own right?? What do you think? Its there anything you'd change about this design?

I'll be making a foray into an AD when they reopen to try one on :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Tudor BB32,36,41

Post by Lavaine »

Generally speaking, I don't like silver dials. I think it's because they don't provide enough contrast with the silver case. Having said that, I find this one better than average. It took a while to figure out why, but I think it's 2 things: The black hands, which add some much-needed contrast that is lacking with silver hands, and the mix of blobs and batons, which add some visual interest to a dial that us otherwise lacking.

I really like the BB36 (although the 1926 has been drawing my attention more), and i think this is a good addition to the black and blue dials.

Edit: I saw another picture and it seems the hands ARE silver. Just a trick of the light in this pic and my old eyes making me see black hands. Having said that, we need more white and silver dials with black hands. The hands are THE defining feature of the Exp II Polar, and I wish my white C60 had black hands.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Lavaine wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:24 am Edit: I saw another picture and it seems the hands ARE silver. Just a trick of the light in this pic and my old eyes making me see black hands. Having said that, we need more white and silver dials with black hands. The hands are THE defining feature of the Exp II Polar, and I wish my white C60 had black hands.
No, they're definitely black Chris. If you use the configurator on the Tudor site, when swapping between the black/blue and the silver dial, the hands change over from silver to black.

This one was so close for me. Had it been a white dial, I'd have found it very appealing.
Surprised that Rolex haven't released a white Explorer I either.
Missed opportunity for both brands?
Ryan
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

I do like this one, and generally I do like the Tudor way of doing things. OK the BB58 Black didn't work for me (for what I wanted) but they are not all going to.
That said, and as @Lavaine points out, the silver watch can be a bit hit or miss and bears checking out in the AD for that reason.

Based on the pic you posted this version of the BB looks rather classy and to my eyes doesn't look like it's missing a bezel. My 2p worth.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Silver dials can work very well, as has been said, with plenty of contrast. With a little more subtlety, sophistication, finesse, call it what you will, that could be very nice. Rather spoiled in my opinion by the mishmash of oversized indices, and of course those hands. The hands are where I stop with Tudor every time.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

I really like this watch in the 41mm sizing, 36mm is way too small for my tastes. I've been waiting to see if Tudor did anything by way of updates with this model. Personally I love the black dial, and the blue comes a close second. I think this silver on silver lacks contrast, although that may not be the case when seeing it in the flesh. I would take one of these over an Explorer I, I prefer the dial layout, sans numerals. The bracelet is lovely, too; you don't get the faux rivets that accompany the 58's. In terms of making changes to the model? probably only one for me. I wish they could have extended the power reserve from 38hrs; I wouldn't personally have had an issue with them slowing the beat rate to get 50,60,70hrs.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

StrappedUp wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:25 am
Lavaine wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:24 am Edit: I saw another picture and it seems the hands ARE silver. Just a trick of the light in this pic and my old eyes making me see black hands. Having said that, we need more white and silver dials with black hands. The hands are THE defining feature of the Exp II Polar, and I wish my white C60 had black hands.
No, they're definitely black Chris. If you use the configurator on the Tudor site, when swapping between the black/blue and the silver dial, the hands change over from silver to black.

This one was so close for me. Had it been a white dial, I'd have found it very appealing.
Surprised that Rolex haven't released a white Explorer I either.
Missed opportunity for both brands?
This was the image that threw me off:

Definitely silver. But as you said, on the Tudor website they are clearly black. Maybe a pre-release model.

I agree that Rolex has missed an opportunity with a white Explorer. Having said that, they have released white Explorer-dialled Air-Kings and OP 36's in the past, so I'm guessing the sales numbers on those versions may not have supported a white Explorer.
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

if the tudor site doesn't *say* they're black, could still be a trick of the light. my PO and AT are white and silvery white dials with silver hands. in most light, the contrast is fantastic and often looks black, dark gray, sometimes even blue. just a slight tilt of the wrist if it's not and they suddenly darken up a little. it's in low-light that they struggle for me.
the "g" is for Greg...
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

gwells wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:48 pm if the tudor site doesn't *say* they're black, could still be a trick of the light. my PO and AT are white and silvery white dials with silver hands. in most light, the contrast is fantastic and often looks black, dark gray, sometimes even blue. just a slight tilt of the wrist if it's not and they suddenly darken up a little. it's in low-light that they struggle for me.
That's what I thought, but as Ryan said, if you go to the Tudor BB configurator page, the hands definitely change to black when you select the silver dial. I suppose we won't know for sure until someone sees one in the wild.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Tasty looking watch there. Classy.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

Here's my BB41 on a B&J Arrods single pass canvas. I've got a 7" wrist and it wears nicely but I do prefer larger watches. Its a beautifully finished watch, the screw down crown and winding action are particularly solid and smooth. Keeps time well within the basic COSC specs despite not being actually certificated. usually only +2 or +3 spd. I was able to negotiate with a couple of AD's (one a national chain that price matches) after seeing it discounted on the internet. They agreed to match (despite me being unable to mail order from the original dealer as Tudor won't sell over internet in UK) and eventually the price was reduced by over £400. I love the watch for its value for money and simplicity. I'm not overly bothered that it has a 'dive' watch dial (Tornek-Raville I think may have used the design first on their US Navy spec Blancpain from the 1950s and the design comes from the US military I'm told ???) but either way there's so much borrowing of designs, I think all that's important is if you like it!

20210409_103408.jpg
Last edited by Amor Vincit Omnia on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed image inline
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

5oclockhero wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:47 am either way there's so much borrowing of designs, I think all that's important is if you like it!
Well said. And yours looks great on that strap. I like seeing these watches on straps other than bracelets because I think that’s how I would do it if I owned one. :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

5oclockhero wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:47 am Here's my BB41 on a B&J Arrods single pass canvas. I've got a 7" wrist and it wears nicely but I do prefer larger watches.
Lovely watch, strap and photo. I think the 41mm is perfect for you; the 36mm would wear small for your and my tastes. There was a discussion on here about what constitutes a sports watch, and I would certainly classify this model as one. I'd say you could happily classify it as a 'one watch collection', too. It has lovely balance with the smiley text in the lower half of the dial; and the lacquered black is beautiful.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?