Battery replacement? Ubi, Scooby?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Battery replacement? Ubi, Scooby?

Post by Bident »

StrappedUp wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:21 pm Also, I'd recommend anyone changing their own batteries to wear an anti-static wrist strap or similar protection.

Don't want to be zapping your lovely watches! Even if it doesn't kill your movement, it can significantly reduce the life of it.

edit - Sorry Steve, I know my post is useless in answer to your original question, but thought it may be important for those that do their own.
That's a very important suggestion, Ryan, one I completely neglected. I used to repair computers as a part time job during my undergraduate years at university. I can attest to the importance of anti-static grounding having seen a few computer boards fried when not using them. I'll have to order one soon.
Best regards,
John
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I give up! :ka:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:14 pm I give up! :ka:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordon
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Hi AVO

Have you seen these.
They say they are closed in town, but offer a mobile service on their website, link below.

https://www.norwichwatchrepairs.com/

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia

magicman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:35 pm Hi AVO

Have you seen these.
They say they are closed in town, but offer a mobile service on their website, link below.

https://www.norwichwatchrepairs.com/

Regards Steve
Thanks, Steve. Very kind of you to suggest them. I know them. Horological equivalent of the late night burger van! :lol:
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

welshlad wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:41 pm Spookily, when I went to wear my C70 Ascari COSC today I also found the battery had died. I ordered a replacement one on Amazon, due on the weekend, and am planning to change it myself...if I stay brave enough! The watch won't get a pressure test going down this route, but that's not really a practical issue as it never goes near water.

However, if another good option emerges on this thread in the meantime then I'm happy to change my plans. :)
It must be the month for all the Ascari batteries to go....mine went yesterday.
Did you tackle it yourself in the end Steve ?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Batteries can be fiddly as they generally have a partial cover to hold them in place, and you need to winkle them out. I have never used anti-statics, but I don't use metal. plastic tweezers and a cocktail stick, and if your eyes are as bad as mine, a loupe to see what's what.

oh yeah. I have at least two watches that I cannot unscrew. I even resorted to superglueing something to the back case, and that just detached from the case back instead of turning the case.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

MiniMpi wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:59 pm It must be the month for all the Ascari batteries to go....mine went yesterday.
Did you tackle it yourself in the end Steve ?
Yes, I did, but it was done in stages:

Stage 1) Order new battery.
Stage 2) Once new battery arrived, open up case back. Then realise I'd ordered the wrong battery.
Stage 3) Order another new battery and close case back to avoid dust etc.
Stage 4) Once 2nd new battery arrived, re-open case back and change battery. Fiddly, but ok. Tip: just loosen one end of the clip holding in the old battery and swing it out of the way. That makes it much easier to re-fasten on the new battery.
Stage 5) Try to close case back and realise that the O ring has become stretched and unusable.
Stage 6) Try to measure O ring diameter even though it's deformed. Pragmatically decide it's best to order a range of sizes of O rings.
Stage 7) Once O rings arrive find the right size (37mm for the C70 GP Series), apply some silicon gel to one and mount on the case back. Tighten caseback back on too the watch and viola!

Only took about 3 weeks, end to end. :roll: :lol:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Nice one Steve, at least you managed it though mate. Well done.
I haven't tried opening a caseback like this type yet so I'm filled with much dread !!
I have the new caseback tool etc for it.
Any tips for opening the caseback ?

P.S: Is the battery the 384 ?
Amor Vincit Omnia

As for me, I’m waiting till the shops open in a couple of weeks.
Steve

Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

MiniMpi wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:02 pm Nice one Steve, at least you managed it though mate. Well done.
I haven't tried opening a caseback like this type yet so I'm filled with much dread !!
I have the new caseback tool etc for it.
Any tips for opening the caseback ?

P.S: Is the battery the 384 ?
Ferg, is the caseback a screw down? I find a friction ball works 80% of the time with no risk of scratching anything: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058 ... UTF8&psc=1

If you decide to get one, I found the review from PRNLM in the USA helpful, particularly this bit:

This little tool worked perfectly, straight out of the bag, to open them both. A little force is required. Be gentle and be patient. Repeated press-and-twist motions (say, 10-15 of them) are easier and safer to apply than trying to get it all in one go, and the back does come loose. Once loose, you can use the ball to simply gently press against and rotate the caseback all the way off in moments.

You can also use it to confidently re-tighten. Here's the secret to doing that. Press only lightly to screw the back in the first time and the tightening rotation will stop at some point and the ball will continue to rotate (becuase you're only pressing lightly). Check that it's at max "hand tighten" at that point.

Then, give a *very firm* press with the ball and slowly rotate farther. You'll find that you get another 1/3rd to 1/4th turn with this higher pressure and that afterward you reach a "hard" rather than a "soft" turning limit. Your caseback is secure!
Best regards,
John
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

MiniMpi wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:02 pm P.S: Is the battery the 384 ?
No, it's a 394. I thought it was a 384 and that's what I ordered first. But when I opened it (should have done that first!) there was a 394 inside.

On the caseback opening, Bident's suggestion of a friction ball is probably the best. I used the traditional tool, but plastered the caseback with masking tape first to minimise any scratch risk. But I might get a friction ball for next time.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Thanks both ;)
Very helpful.