My interpretation of CW branding

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
J0EMI
Senior
Senior

My interpretation of CW branding

Post by J0EMI »

I know the style of CW's logo changes over the years has been quite a controversial topic, personally as someone who got into CW during the newest branding change I don't mind it too much, but just for fun here is how I would like it to look. Personally I don't think it is so much shortening the name that I would like to see different but more so the font, the vintage style font I feel suits the brand more but then I'm no marketing expert! Perhaps they changed the font to appeal to a wider age demographic, but as a 29 year old who likes the look of vintage more I suppose you can't please everyone, I think it would be a smart idea to have different fonts of Christopher Ward on the dial depending on the aesthetic of each particular watch, with a vintage C65 for example being better suited to a vintage font over Sans Serif, which, as a modern look, I feel goes against the retro style which is otherwise pleasing on the eye. How would you change it?
sketch-1616756243690.png
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: My interpretation of CW branding

Post by Peteo »

Interesting. I personally find the CHR. WARD type face too harsh, so I don't think I'd want it as part of my personal take on branding. I also think that the old "CW" was probably too drab and ho hum, so I get why they wanted to get away from that.

But then, I'm not a huge fan of the fully typed out "Christopher Ward" either although I probably do like that type face better. The difference in character length of the two words makes for a weird composition.

It seems to me that they should be able to do something more interesting with the +[] thing whatever that is called (if it has a British cultural significance, I am sorry for my ignorance!). I think it could be interesting if they were able to apply something with some 3D depth to the dials rather than just print it on.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I have no idea why the font should be a "controversial topic" - I'm not saying that it isn't, just that I don't understand it. Personally, I like the current version the best, but would agree that it doesn't always sit right with the retro designs. The twin flags doesn't have any British cultural significance being a combination of English/Swiss flags but to me, it looks too much like Tissot branding to be truly distinctive.
I'm not a watch designer either but I find the mathematical illiteracy of 300m/1000ft on watch faces more irritating - it doesn't really annoy me, I just think "Well, which is it?".

I would be surprised if they could just use "Ward" as a logo without getting into a dispute with Tribus.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

exHowfener wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:42 pm I have no idea why the font should be a "controversial topic" 1- I'm not saying that it isn't, just that I don't understand it. Personally, I like the current version the best, but would agree that it doesn't always sit right with the retro designs. The twin flags doesn't have any British cultural significance being a combination of English/Swiss flags but to me, it looks too much like Tissot branding to be truly distinctive.
I'm not a watch designer either but I find the mathematical illiteracy of 300m/1000ft on watch faces more irritating - it doesn't really annoy me, I just think "Well, which is it?".2

I would be surprised if they could just use "Ward" as a logo without getting into a dispute with Tribus.3
1. It is controversial because people make it so. With the previous changes there were a lot of "Never will I ever" comments, and certain people have steadfastly refused to let the last one lie, using it as a scorpion tail in the majority of their posts for the last 4-5 years.

2. Wouldn't "984.252 feet" look a bit odd on a dial? Surely an approximation suffices here? If you're down at 984 feet (not too likely for most of us) I don't imagine the last 16 will make too much difference.

3. I don't know about the legality, but I don't see it happening.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Free advice for CW to move forward and leave the past behind. They clearly didn't put a lot of thought in the brand name when they sat in their little boat on the Thames and started a watch company with inexpensive watches made in Asia.

1. Acknowledge there is a problem
2. Ditch the weird long fashion brand name and Lego block logo
3. Change brand name to something timeless and not related to any people. Short, catchy, easy to remember
4. Create a real awesome visual logo and brand name design
5. Gain respect of watch aficionados and luxury buying customers
6. Sell lots of watches! Make lots of money!

The longer they wait, the more difficult it will become to change. Sure, it will take some time, effort and money but sometimes you have to start from scratch. Christopher is gone, time to move on.

What if some of the other brands would have put their founder's name on the dial in an awkWard position..

James Bond scene on the train:
Woman asks: Is that a Jean-Frederic Dufour on your wrist?
Bond: No, I am wearing Stephen Urqhart

StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

The PO and Sub above look awful with a name at 9.
Makes you wonder how much better the current MK3s would look with the logo at 12.
And I don't mean renders.

I bet Adrian has a box of 12 o'clock logo prototype watches in his personal stash.
He's a design guy, he'll know it looks awkward deep down.

I've gone past the point of caring though because it's clear they'll do as they see fit (and why wouldn't they).
Ryan
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

It is controversial because people make it so.
I understand that it IS controversial (to some), it's the WHY that I don't get. Perhaps because it doesn't bother me. It just seems to have gained traction on the internet. Plenty of people do mention it but, as a counterpoint, I've never seen a review of an Ollech & Wajs where the reviewer complains about the model number being at 3 o'clock.

Or, imagine this: "I was going to buy a Mercedes Benz, but didn't because it's got a girl's name on it"
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Will_75
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Will_75 »

The logo doesn’t bother me at all, and I particularly like the twin flags logo.

As a Swiss typeface the use of Helvetica makes perfect sense to me. Mind you, I’m not a fan of serifs (but I did not shoot the deputy).
CWE admin and all round watch nerd. Usually found irresponsibly browsing the sales page.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Sorry OP, I don’t think that logo looks good. I wouldn’t personally buy that watch. I love the existing version. But I love seeing different renderings like this, thanks!

Steve has it right, it IS controversial because we MAKE it controversial.

And Frank, they ALREADY sell lots of watches and make lots of money. CWs are obviously selling really well as is.

If they change it, they’ll likely win some customers and lose some. Im sure CW has some data to support whether it would be a net gain or loss, and would have taken some action if it made financial sense. A certainty though would be the cost involved in creating and switching to a new logo. So why would they do that?

We should definitely keep beating it into the ground though, because that’s just plain fun and what forums are for I guess. :D
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I quite like what @joemi suggested, with a couple of changes.

Pesonally, I would probably have a red and white printed or applied enamel twin flags logo, to make it clearer that the flags actually are the Swiss and English flags, and underneath that have the company name (in the same white), like Rolex or Omega or Raymond Weil. It's in the suggestion box now.

So I said Raymond Weil for a reason. Raymond is already getting to be too long, and Christopher is 4 more characters. I don't like a full stop in C. Ward. I don't like Chr. Ward. I don't want another logo with W inside a C - So it's either WARD (as the OP suggested), or CW. I do like the current San Serif font, so Ward in that font in caps would be worth looking at.

Seriously, I haven't a problem with the name at 9 o'clock. I don't even notice it really. However, a lot of people do. So instead, pit it below the logo, short, discreet, and centred, and inoffensive, like everyone else. Put "Christopher Ward Watches" on the case-back and on the rotor, if you really want to see it in full.
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^If you go for CW just don't turn the C backwards, please.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

No matter what logo is placed on Christopher Ward watch dials or wherever it’s located it will continue to be a discussion point on this Forum. There’s been 3 versions so there’s a good chance that some of us will prefer 1 or 2 of them to the other(s). Therefore if CW were to change it again we’d still end up discussing it and/or questioning why they changed it.

Since they changed to the present name, font and location I've bought a few NN watches to see if I could live with it but they've all been returned as it offends my preference for symmetry. So I've saved a load of money.

I agree with Nordwulf's points 2,3 and 4 but these are what should have been done when they created the company years ago and before they started selling any watches. Maybe financially it's too far on to do a massive change but IMO a watch brand should be recognisable by the brand name without adding "watch" as you can with Rolex, Omega, Bremont to name a few.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Mikkei4 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:13 pm IMO a watch brand should be recognisable by the brand name without adding "watch" as you can with Rolex, Omega, Bremont to name a few.
I bet if I asked my colleagues (an educated bunch) what a Bremont was, most of them wouldn't have a Scooby-Doo! :lol:
Steve

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

ajax87 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:23 pm

And Frank, they ALREADY sell lots of watches and make lots of money. CWs are obviously selling really well as is.

Nope, the Group made a £1.8M loss (2020) on top of £370 k in 2019 with sales flat. Hence the need to raise capital, a chunk of which was used to repay director's loans. There was pain and covid since will not have helped I'm surmising.

On a positive note, they do have a positive balance sheet now.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

H0rati0 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:40 pm
ajax87 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:23 pm

Nope, the Group made a £1.8M loss (2020) on top of £370 k in 2019 with sales flat. Hence the need to raise capital, a chunk of which was used to repay director's loans. There was pain and covid since will not have helped I'm surmising.

On a positive note, they do have a positive balance sheet now.
I stand corrected! There was likely a COVID related impact for some of 2020’s numbers, but not 2019. I’d be curious to know more detail since CW also took on the TV advertising thing in 2020, and had some popular releases in 2020. Where did you find this info?
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925