Nearly New Items for Sale again (25Mar2021)

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Re: Nearly New Items for Sale again (25Mar2021)

Post by Soporsche »

I do sort of agree your point Richard, they do offer frequent Sales/Vouchers etc. But as a marketing theme 'everyone likes to feel they are getting a bargain' so it works, especially when you don't have a physical store with promotions.
Does it diminish the brand, maybe a little amongst watch enthusiasts but we are a different breed to mainstream consumers who don't frequently watch forums on a daily/weekly basis.
Has it set an expectation re discount, yes, I have only paid full price (less voucher) for 1 of 10-12 acquisitions from them. I would struggle to justify a full price purchase to myself now. That's OK though and I wouldnt buy any if I didn't value the product, whatever the price.
Anyway, I treated myself for my Birthday yesterday on a NN watch that I've admired for a while, it was an unplanned purchase facilitated (in my head) by the Sale price, so I'm all good with the CW strategy today 😊 :thumbup:

There's a sale currently on at DFS (as always) but I won't be buying a new sofa today and if I was it probably wouldn't be from that store as I perrsonally don't value the product.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Soporsche wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:15 am But as a marketing theme 'everyone likes to feel they are getting a bargain' so it works, especially when you don't have a physical store with promotions...

Has it set an expectation re discount, yes, I have only paid full price (less voucher) for 1 of 10-12 acquisitions from them. I would struggle to justify a full price purchase to myself now. That's OK though and I wouldnt buy any if I didn't value the product, whatever the price.
How many times do we read of people going into a physical AD store and negotiating a discount? And if a few NN items go up for sale it's win-win for the company and the buyer (if they value the product of course!) :wink:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Richard D wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:35 am
As unpopular as it maybe, I stand by what I say, and yes the DFS of the watch community.
It is what it is, we all know the rules. With a few notable exceptions practically any watch from any brand can be bought at a big discount, just typically not on demand.

Caveat Emptor.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Before I forget, DFS does stock some good products. :wink:
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

So I was one that had, in the past, refereed to CW as the DFS of the watch industry, however, what I have come to learn is that this is not just another sale, these, specifically the watches, have either been display pieces or have been returned by Customers as unwanted and thus are Nearly New items. They can not be re-sold as new so I don't see a problem with CW trying to recuperate some cost by offering them at a discount as nearly new.
It's also a case of pot luck - you never know what is going to turn up there.
If you've been around the forum for any length of time you know that generally speaking it's not worth buying at full price - there are vouchers available for purchases over £500, these nearly new sales and then 2-3 times a year a proper 30-50% sale of, generally speaking, old stock/end of line items.

P.S. I do have a DFS sofa (get something nice and spread the cost interest free - even on sale items).
P.P.S I do like Oak Furniture Land :)
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:51 am
Bident wrote:C65 Ocean Blue SC among other watches up for sale, as well as bracelets and straps.
Thanks for the heads up, John, which was costly. :problem: :problem:

I wasn't going to buy anything but had a PM yesterday evening as well, and unexpectedly sold my C65 Super Compressor, but I need to sell one or two more to cover my Nearly New purchase. :-k :-k

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Cheers Guy! Glad to see the Ocean Blue found its way to a good home.

I picked up a 20mm black hybrid. I'm hoping for the version 2, but am fine with version 1 which is what I received in blue at the last Nearly New sale.
Best regards,
John
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

Richard D wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:22 am I’m pleased for everyone who is able to bag themselves a good deal. However, these endless sales and discounts have put me off from ever buying a CW at full price. In fact, I would say they have become the DFS of the watch community.
It seems fairly industry-wide at the moment.

I was really surprised to see Tribus advertising 25% discounts almost as soon as they had any stock to sell.

Their marketing of the discount is much more ‘aggressive’ than CW’s as well. I’m being advertised to over, and over, and over again in social media.
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Molan wrote:
Richard D wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:22 am I’m pleased for everyone who is able to bag themselves a good deal. However, these endless sales and discounts have put me off from ever buying a CW at full price. In fact, I would say they have become the DFS of the watch community.

I was really surprised to see Tribus advertising 25% discounts almost as soon as they had any stock to sell.

Their marketing of the discount is much more ‘aggressive’ than CW’s as well. I’m being advertised to over, and over, and over again in social media.
. . . .and that's on a New watch.

CW's maximum discount on New is 15%.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Will_75
Senior
Senior

Post by Will_75 »

Molan wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:56 pm

Does this make Tribus the Sports Direct of the watch community?
CWE admin and all round watch nerd. Usually found irresponsibly browsing the sales page.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I was really surprised to see Tribus advertising 25% discounts almost as soon as they had any stock to sell
Given that LFC seem unlikely to come anywhere near winning the premiership this season, I wouldn't be too surprised if further discounts on that range. 25% is a hefty discount on a newly introduced watch isn't it?

Surely it's possible to get a discount on a lot of (most?) watch brands? Whatever you may think about CW's marketing strategy, it seems to be working for them - as it does for DFS!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Pianomanmark

Post by Pianomanmark »

Only in the watch community would someone complain about the frequency of being able to save money and have it put them off purchasing from a brand.

If I tried to explain this to anyone in the 'real' world, I would be met by a baffled look.
Trident Pro 600 Blue mk3, Tudor Heritage Ranger, Rado Captain Cook, Casios, Vostoks and a very nice Mickey Mouse quartz
Mark
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Pianomanmark wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:27 pm Only in the watch community would someone complain about the frequency of being able to save money and have it put them off purchasing from a brand.

If I tried to explain this to anyone in the 'real' world, I would be met by a baffled look.
AMEN !!!!!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Will_75
Senior
Senior

Post by Will_75 »

Pianomanmark wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:27 pm Only in the watch community would someone complain about the frequency of being able to save money and have it put them off purchasing from a brand.

This is a very good point!
CWE admin and all round watch nerd. Usually found irresponsibly browsing the sales page.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

If you are referring to my original comment I’m certainly not complaining. I have bought plenty of CWs at discounted prices. If in future something pops up in a sale which peeks my interest I will probably buy it, but that doesn’t take away my perception of the brand.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Viognier wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:31 pm

AMEN !!!!!
I disagree, some companies have unlimited last minute sales and it certainly puts me off. For me, it always smacks of being overpriced to start with, in order to accommodate a “saving” at a later date.

I’d love to meet someone who has actually bought a DFS sofa at full price. Because I have some chocolate fireguards I'm not using. It’s not always about saving money, it can also cheapen the brand. Which I think is what Richard D may have meant.
If some of the luxury watch brands had consistent sales, that would put off a lot of folk. It’s the absence of regular sales that makes them luxury.

I think you’re being a little disingenuous by your “real” world scenario.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain