Opinions on Staib mesh bracelet?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Re: Opinions on Staib mesh bracelet?

Post by Soporsche »

Great choice and picked up before I had chance to contribute, I'm a bit of a mesh fan from fine Milanese to Dive/Shark mesh..
The Staib is great quality and really sets of your watch very well indeed, it looks very different on this.
Congrats and enjoy.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

@MichaelMD

I wonder if you could find time to post a picture of the adjusted clasp side of your Staib? I am still on the fence, the clasp arrangement does put me off a little, but happy to hear you are pleased and that the premium is evident.

Cheers

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

H0rati0 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:00 pm @MichaelMD

I wonder if you could find time to post a picture of the adjusted clasp side of your Staib? I am still on the fence, the clasp arrangement does put me off a little, but happy to hear you are pleased and that the premium is evident.

Cheers

nik
Hi Nik, no problem at all. Here are some pictures and an explanation.

This is the 170 mm bracelet. Up to four links from the clasp can be removed to size it down to 165, 160, 155 or 150. So you have up to five different sizes, 5 mm apart. And that's it. No finer adjustments, just 5mm at a time.

I removed the strap I had sized to my liking, laid it out flat, and measured it at about 152/153 mm. Also had a cheap Amazon mesh (pictured several posts up) which I also removed and measured flat at 153 mm. So I was pretty confident I was either going to be at the 150 or 155 length on this Staib.

So let's say you are 150 mm for sure. You can either get the 150 mm length and leave all four sizing links installed -OR- you can get the 170 mm and remove all four. My thoughts before purchasing were that I may be at 150 or 155 and I in my opinion the less links on the clasp the more attractive the bracelet. The less visible clasp the better IMO. So I went with the longer bracelet and tried at 155 and 150. 150 is slightly tight but seemed to work better. HOWEVER, if I lose weight and my wrist shrinks I can't go any lower than 150mm. So the other option is to buy the shorter length and buy an additional link if you find you need it. Or course that would leave 9 links on the clasp which might make it look bulky. Whatever works for you. This is only an issue if you are right on the border between two sizes like I am.

When ordering these, I would not suggest simply measuring your wrist circumference and subtracting the lug-to-lug length. There are other variables involved. The clasp adds to the length, the bracelet span when articulated can be different than when flat, and the lug holes (such as on this Worldglow) can be placed significantly in from the end of the lugs.

My wrist is about 190 mm. Lug-to-lug on this watch is about 52 mm. Subtract that out and you get 138 mm. In reality the size I needed was 153 mm. Big difference!!! My suggestion for anyone who is considering buying one of these is to remove and measure the strap or bracelet you currently have on the watch if possible. Much more accurate.

Hope I explained that properly. If you have any questions I'll be happy to try to answer them :thumbup:

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I'm with you and it was exactly my suspicion that the clasp would look better with as few links as possible - hence my request! I do take your point about measuring the internal diameter of the existing strap, that removes the guesswork of L-L nicely.

Your pics do make it look good....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

H0rati0 wrote:I'm with you and it was exactly my suspicion that the clasp would look better with as few links as possible - hence my request! I do take your point about measuring the internal diameter of the existing strap, that removes the guesswork of L-L nicely.

Your pics do make it look good....
It is a really nice premium feeling bracelet. Very solid clasp. Thick but not too thick mesh. For $160 I can't see the downside of getting one. You get an OEM bracelet for a non-OEM price. They make bracelets for all sorts of watch companies including CW. A friend of mine picked up a mesh bracelet for his Breitling and I swear it's this exact same bracelet with a Breitling clasp on it. Paid close to $700. For $160 you can't go wrong.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

MichaelMD wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:12 pm It is a really nice premium feeling bracelet. Very solid clasp. Thick but not too thick mesh. For $160 I can't see the downside of getting one. You get an OEM bracelet for a non-OEM price. They make bracelets for all sorts of watch companies including CW. A friend of mine picked up a mesh bracelet for his Breitling and I swear it's this exact same bracelet with a Breitling clasp on it. Paid close to $700. For $160 you can't go wrong.

I'm convinced. Just run my numbers and looks like I need 155±5 of mesh length for my C1 so will sleep on it and look to raid the fund next week.

Thanks for your insights!
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

H0rati0 wrote:
MichaelMD wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:12 pm It is a really nice premium feeling bracelet. Very solid clasp. Thick but not too thick mesh. For $160 I can't see the downside of getting one. You get an OEM bracelet for a non-OEM price. They make bracelets for all sorts of watch companies including CW. A friend of mine picked up a mesh bracelet for his Breitling and I swear it's this exact same bracelet with a Breitling clasp on it. Paid close to $700. For $160 you can't go wrong.

I'm convinced. Just run my numbers and looks like I need 155±5 of mesh length for my C1 so will sleep on it and look to raid the fund next week.

Happy to help. Are you going to go with the 170 mm length you think?

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

MichaelMD wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:46 pm Happy to help. Are you going to go with the 170 mm length you think?

Yep, I'll be happier with less links in, but anyway I will need the 170 since I'll have to play with fit and adjustment for the actual springbar to springbar span to see how it works on the watch.

With luck I'll get this sorted out next week and post some pictures.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

MichaelMD wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:46 pm

[/quote]

Hi Michael

new Staib arrived today and 155 is the right length. You were very right about quality, this is a nice bracelet and I think it suits the C1 very well. My only very slight bugbear is the adjustment method using the links. I can't quite centre the clasp and watch at the same time, but it's no big deal.
IMG_1092.jpeg
IMG_1088.jpeg
IMG_1090.jpeg
IMG_1089.jpeg
Once again, many thanks for your input.

Update edit:

OCD got the better of me and I removed the odd adjust link. It doesn't help with positioning the clasp of course (though I think it looks preferable with the pushers being centred) but the bracelet being a bit tighter lets the watch seat more securely. As you thought, a little tighter than I really like but surprisingly comfortable so I surmise these mesh bracelets can be worn a little snugger than I'm used to.
IMG_1100.jpeg
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Great forum helpful interaction between Michael MD and H0rati0....really enjoy reading about helpfulness between members!
These users thanked the author Viognier for the post:
Masterwoodsman
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

H0rati0 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:40 pm
MichaelMD wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:46 pm

Hi Michael

new Staib arrived today and 155 is the right length. You were very right about quality, this is a nice bracelet and I think it suits the C1 very well. My only very slight bugbear is the adjustment method using the links. I can't quite centre the clasp and watch at the same time, but it's no big deal.

IMG_1092.jpeg

Once again, many thanks for your input.

Update edit:

OCD got the better of me and I removed the odd adjust link. It doesn't help with positioning the clasp of course (though I think it looks preferable with the pushers being centred) but the bracelet being a bit tighter lets the watch seat more securely. As you thought, a little tighter than I really like but surprisingly comfortable so I surmise these mesh bracelets can be worn a little snugger than I'm used to.
IMG_1100.jpeg
[/quote]

Hey that's great. Looks perfect for that watch - like it was made for it! Glad you are happy with it.

As for the clasp centering, anytime you are at an odd number you are going to be a little off center. But I still would size it to the most comfortable fit regardless. I think it looks just fine at 155 personally, but if you want it a little snug 150 at least gets the clasp centered. In only a very few watches in my collection is the clasp centered. If it were me I'd go with the extra link on the 12 side of the clasp (as I think you have in the first picture). Just seems to work best, for me anyway. I think the pushers look fine either way, but I here you as far as the OCD is concerned.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

MichaelMD wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:38 pm
Hey that's great. Looks perfect for that watch - like it was made for it! Glad you are happy with it.

As for the clasp centering, anytime you are at an odd number you are going to be a little off center. But I still would size it to the most comfortable fit regardless. I think it looks just fine at 155 personally, but if you want it a little snug 150 at least gets the clasp centered. In only a very few watches in my collection is the clasp centered. If it were me I'd go with the extra link on the 12 side of the clasp (as I think you have in the first picture). Just seems to work best, for me anyway. I think the pushers look fine either way, but I here you as far as the OCD is concerned.
Yes, pleased indeed. I would have bought on the mesh from CW but they did not have a white dial on mesh in the sale and since I liked the blue leather (and would have ordered that as an option anyway) I just grabbed it figuring to maybe add the bracelet later. Then a bit of doubt set in and like you I looked at other options, but you persuaded me that CW had it right and glad you did. I particularly like the thickness - most meshes I've seen look a bit skimpy - and this is clearly high quality and suits the C1 case perfectly.

I've been wearing all afternoon and yes a little tighter than I am used to, but I do prefer the look with less links around the clasp and it's perfectly wearable and comfortable enough so good compromise I feel. Going forward it will be easy now to switch between the bracelet and the blue leather - and that doesn't centre quite either!

cheers!