Would CW release the Sapphire as a C65?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Lu..
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Would CW release the Sapphire as a C65?

Post by Lu.. »

I really dig the Sapphire C60s, but prefer it to be in the thinner C65. You guys think CW would release one in the future?
Ω Moonwatch 3861 Sapphire ... Bulova "Mickey Mouse" ... C.Ward C65 Trident ... Movado Esperanza Museum ... Longines Model 2133
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Re: Would CW release the Sapphire as a C65?

Post by Deks »

If they did I would buy it in a heartbeat!
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

I think It''s always a possibility if there is enough room fit the movement and transparent disc. The Ombre started on the C60 and migrated to the C65 as an example (no thickness challenges there though)
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I don't think so. I think that the marketing has been pretty clear that the C65 is the vintage inspired line. I'm not sure a sapphire dial would fall into that esthetic (I think an Ombré dial does in my opinion).

What helps the C65 line is the lower water resistance and no exhibition case backs (except for the Super Compressor which is thicker 13.05 mm). The case back doesn't need to be as thick and far from the movement. This line of thinking comes from recent testing I watched where they put a couple of watches under extreme pressure (in a chamber capable of producing 3000 m of pressure). The watches failed because the case back deformed and pressed the movement into the crystal stopping it. When the pressure was lowered the watches started working again.

It is pretty amazing how much 1.5 mm makes a difference in the height. The C65 Automatic comes in at 11.55 and the Sapphire at 12.95.

They could release a C60 (or a new line) with 300m instead of 600 and would probably be able to shave 1mm or so. That could be interesting.

Another interesting point is that I really like the way my Super Compressor sits on the wrist (more than my C60 Ombré LE). The two are very close in thickness - 13.05mm and 13.4 mm respectively. Granted the SC is 41mm and the Ombré is 42mm so the case has some bearing on this too.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I’ve been on the fence with the Sapphire. Adding a C65 option would only make my decision harder. ;)
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair