New C60 Bronze Ombré LE variant

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: New C60 Bronze Ombré LE variant

Post by JasperCat »

I think it’s a really sharp looking design, but I can also see the slight annoyance if you’ve previously bought a “limited edition”, but they are a business and if something sells well, it would be wrong perhaps not to try recreate that success in some way I suppose :?
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I see the issue of re-creating a winning LE piece. I’m sure the fact that the Mk2 LE was limited drove some of the purchase decisions. The differences between the Mk2 and the new watch keep them distinct. I would wish that CW had done more to differentiate the new from the old to avoid stepping on the toes of the Mk2 owners. I like both, own neither, and am likely to sit out this run of special watches much like the VEV editions. I’m rather out of my budget from recent watch wants.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

The number 1 on the bezel has changed to sans-serif. And 12 o’clock on the bezel appears to be a double triangle, not a pip within a triangle.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

That's really nice, no complaints from me, but then I don't own the previous version. Did anyone mention that the new version has a framed date window, too? Really like the waterfall indices on this. The twin flag embossing makes the dial look more balanced imo.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

I'd probably pull the trigger on this at 40mm. Can't wear a 42/49+ L2L.
Shame. Looks terrific. :(
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

Kip wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:05 pm I get what those of you that are disappointed are saying, but the MkII and MkIII have enough differences to make them each unique.

Personally I think it is great that CW is able to take advantage of the MKIII case and offer a (re)release of a very popular MKII Limited Edition. I don't see that it takes anything at all from the MKII version.

The release of this MKIII version of the Bronze Ombre" COSC allows those that missed out on a 300 piece LE a second chance and CW makes a couple bucks. Seems like a win win to me.
Couldn’t disagree more. It takes everything from the mk2 and clones it directly into a mk3. I’d argue that there are more differences between the core mk2 and mk3 models in that the guilloche dial was discontinued.

CW released the steel Ombré, upgraded the original mk2 bronze to the blue ombré version, and are doing wonderful things with sapphire. On the one hand they’re innovating and evolving, on the other, they're lazily dipping into their back catalogue for cheap wins.

Next up: mk3 versions of the 316L releases?
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Palisander
Junior
Junior

Post by Palisander »

Im departing with my MK2 Ombre in case you have nostalgia :) You know where to find it :)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

I don’t find it mildly irritating, in fact I find it irritating. None more so when I discovered that my LE C900 SP was to be released but this time with a slight change of design to include 22 mm lugs followed by another reincarnation with a gold bezel. Since, I’ve learnt that LE has little meaning when it comes to a CW.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Firstly, before I start playing devil‘s advocate, can I just say that I have absolutely no axe to grind here. I cannot stand bronze cases or brown ombré dials. And I’m not a CW fan boy – Lord knows I have been outspoken enough in the past.

However, is this not in many ways a different watch? New case? New handset? I’m not sure whether this makes sense, but isn’t it different enough to be different?

Secondly, I see once again the verb “cheapen” brought into use when people don’t like some new development. Is this to be taken literally, as in lowering the potential resale value?

Or is it to be seen as something that, irrespective of price and resale value, undermines the exclusivity of a product?

Or is there a further, mystical and slightly undefinable quality that is being eroded?

As I said, no issue for me – I can’t stand either of them! Just wanted a couple of definitions.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:14 am However, is this not in many ways a different watch? New case? New handset? I’m not sure whether this makes sense, but isn’t it different enough to be different?
It’s a different watch. Of course it’s a different watch. But you make perfect sense - the devil is in whether it is different enough.

IMO the dividing line is would/could you justify having both in a collection? It's obviously subjective and anyone can make their own justifications either way. For me, and with this model, it's a definite no. The differences aren’t significant enough. I think it's less clear cut if we're talking about the standard C60 or the Seamaster revisions in the recent comparison thread. Even in those cases, to pass my own litmus test, they’d still have to be different colours, or one of them have a GMT hand.
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:14 am Secondly, I see once again the verb “cheapen” brought into use when people don’t like some new development. Is this to be taken literally, as in lowering the potential resale value?

Or is it to be seen as something that, irrespective of price and resale value, undermines the exclusivity of a product?

Or is there a further, mystical and slightly undefinable quality that is being eroded?
On that charge, I genuinely plead exclusivity being undermined. Resale value has doubtlessly been hit but that's not my bugbear. I fell for and bought into a limited edition of 300. Aside from the mk2 to mk3 changes, nothing has changed. The steel Ombré didn’t bother me. I don’t have a problem with the blue Ombré (other than stopping myself from buying it). They were evolutions or variants on a design. But this... I just feel a bit robbed. Like I bought under slightly false pretences. That’s where the cheapening and devaluing lies for me.

I'm sure any prototype owner would be a bit miffed if there was a change of heart and their model went into production. This isn’t the same, but it's not so far off.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
downer

New C60 Bronze Ombré LE variant

Post by downer »

I can only assume that the disgruntled posters in this thread do not own LE Speedmasters. Omega release a new one to celebrate the opening of each and every pair of curtains. And a lot of them look virtually identical. ;)
Richard
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Richard D wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:44 am I don’t find it mildly irritating, in fact I find it irritating. None more so when I discovered that my LE C900 SP was to be released but this time with a slight change of design to include 22 mm lugs followed by another reincarnation with a gold bezel. Since, I’ve learnt that LE has little meaning when it comes to a CW.
I think each of the C9(900) single pushers is very unique.

The original C9 (900) single pusher was an LE of 250 pieces released in August of 2012. A truly unique piece with this movement. Yes it had the 20mm lugs as this was standard for the C9 case at that time.

Subsequently, in August 2014 the C9 (900) Single Pusher LE (only 25 pieces) with Rose Gold Bezel was released. This had the 22 mm lugs as the C9 case had a running change from 20mm lugs to 22mm that began in late 2013.

One year later in Aug 2015, and due to demand, a A C9 (900) Single Pusher Gold bezel LE (50 pieces) was released. Of course this also had the 22 mm lugs.

Each LE had a distinct look and was , imo, very unique, I never felt that one took away from another.

I think you should be quite proud to have the first of the JJ02 calibers in a special watch. It was a terrific and significant accomplishment at that time of CW's growth.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

^^^^ my original C900 remains a cherished watch. Arguably the 20 mm lugs are in proportion to the overall design something that IMHO was lost in the subsequent LEs.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

Whilst I just don't get bronze and would never buy one, I do prefer the look of the new Mk3 version
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Yep I agree with Kip.

Presumably those that bought the previous version bought it because they liked it! :)

Or are folk saying they bought it because it was an LE in the thought it gave them a warm fuzzy feeling - well because it was a limited edition. :problem:

I am struggling to understand how enjoyment of a model that I already own would be diminished by a brand producing a new model that is similar, but clearly different...

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK