What’s in a name?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: What’s in a name?

Post by exHowfener »

Only 10 more watches sold due to a better name and branding would already give them 10 grand to be wisely invested beforehand..
I think that most companies that go through a re-branding find it quite an expensive process, and there's no guarantee of better sales as a result.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

exHowfener wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:27 pm
Only 10 more watches sold due to a better name and branding would already give them 10 grand to be wisely invested beforehand..
I think that most companies that go through a re-branding find it quite an expensive process, and there's no guarantee of better sales as a result.
And I think, that there is enough evidence/hints in this forum alone and that information should be treated as pure GOLD by any manufacturer. There´s nothing more valuable than honest feedback by users that do like your products.
Just look at other watch forums (where users dont wear pink-cw-glasses) how quite a few are slagging CW. Over there it´s much more unfiltered. 8)

Sure, there NEVER is a guarantee for ANYTHING in life. And a good name and logo certainly is no guarantee to become successful - but they DEFINITELY can be a game changer if done right! Something CW is far-off.

Remember? I do come from 'the outside' and still are a stranger without any emotional bonding to CW. Which will naturally change after a while if I'll ever get a CW watch... :lol:
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

I personally think it's an awful name but it didn't put me off buying a watch from what I thought was an interesting brand.

They seemed to be putting a lot into the twin flags idea and I thought it looked like they would end up ditching the name from the dial and having that on instead. It would be a lot more palatable to me.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Welcome to the forum.
Seahorse wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:00 pm Just look at other watch forums (where users dont wear pink-cw-glasses) how quite a few are slagging CW. Over there it´s much more unfiltered. 8)
Something of a sweeping generalisation here, isn't it?

I don't know if you'd care to read all my 23,000+ posts. If you did you would find I have made plenty of critical comments (on all sorts of subjects) about CW over the years. I still continue to do so as a forum moderator. They get things wrong, I tell them so. I won't enumerate, but I still like the company and the people who run it.

However, looking at my first six posts here, I really don't think I spent five of them running down the company, its branding/marketing, the finishing of the watches, the choice of name and the membership of the forum. No, we don't all wear rose-tinted spectacles. And this is me with my member's hat on, not my moderator's hat, saying that I find all this a little presumptuous.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:57 pm I still like the company and the people who run it.

However, looking at my first six posts here, I really don't think I spent five of them running down the company, its branding/marketing, the finishing of the watches, the choice of name and the membership of the forum. No, we don't all wear rose-tinted spectacles. And this is me with my member's hat on, not my moderator's hat, saying that I find all this a little presumptuous.
I wont get a watch because I like the people behind the company - I get myself a watch if I love what I see when checking the time (severals times a day).

I registered here because i think the C65 SC is a VERY BEAUTIFUL watch! And I think it´s a pitty that small but -more or less- avoidable things put me off. Maybe I thought that (my?) feedback has the power to help develop things to the better? And the endlinks will get an update? Or maybe because I just wanted to get kinda 'CW blind' unconsciously? :D

Anyway: looks like I am not the only one with that kinda 'problem'...

Lets see what the future brings.

Have a great day, I might be back if I will get a CW... :wave:
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

And I think, that there is enough evidence/hints in this forum alone and that information should be treated as pure GOLD by any manufacturer. There´s nothing more valuable than honest feedback by users that do like your products.
Yes, of course there are opinions expressed on this forum and other sites. Now that may or not be "evidence", or it could be people with an opinion and access to the internet sounding off. More research needed surely to drill down to find out what's what?

Honest feedback is important, but the best feedback is sales volume - people backing their opinions with cash. That's not "rose tinted glasses", it the reality of business.

If anyone has genuine evidence that a change of branding/logo/wordmark or whatever, would result in increased sales then I would respectfully suggest that rather than take to a watch forum, they gather this together, along with the costing for a brand refresh and present it to the organisation concerned. Could be a nice little earner.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Might go join a watch forum just to say what I don't like about their watches :lol:

I think the direction of the brushing on the bracelet is the same as it is for the other C65 models. It might not line up and so contrast with the watch head but I'm not sure what the solution would be? Brush just the top links horizontally, but that wouldn't look right either against the rest of the bracelet.

In reality to the naked eye under normal lighting conditions I doubt you would even notice it. Or maybe buy it on a strap?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Welcome Seahorse...

After reading your first few posts I can't tell if you joined here to learn about CW watches and horology, in general, or you are just out and about troliing for the day.

You remind me of someone who used to be quite active here who made a habit of stating opinions as facts. This caused several problems over the years here. I don't quite get the impetus for joining a brand forum to state why you don't yet own the brand because you don't like the logo, bracelet etc but do like the watch. Perhaps if you looked around a bit first you would find, without much difficulty I might add, many who don't own any "rose colored glasses". Members here can slag off on CW just as well as on other forums. You might like to try your style on other forums in dedicated brand areas and see how they react. FYI.. a senior member of my Admin Team was probably the most vocal about how he literally "hated" the prior logo. He lost his rose colored glasses but we got him a new pair.

Your opinion on the name and logo are noted (look about, the logo has been discussed to death, yet it lives on), but they must be doing something right as they have grown rather steadily and been proven successful over the past, almost, 16 years. You may also choose to read the backstory of how the name was decided upon.

I do hope you take the time to research the brand a bit and see if there is anything you do like. Preferences vary greatly and if you don't like anything in the current lineup for whatever reasons, you might want to visit the CWArchive and look up some of the older models. There are now 3 logos that you can choose from across 291 models and 1909 variants. Some don't even have a logo but use only the Swiss/English device.

In addition to pointing out your dislikes here, I might suggest you also contact CW and express your opinions. In the meantime, consider a strap for the C65 SC. There are many photos about with many different straps shown. That is assuming , of course, that you can get past the logo/name.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Kip wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:45 pmIn addition to pointing out your dislikes here, I might suggest you also contact CW and express your opinions.
That's what i did BEFORE i even registered here, of course! Ka..e said she forwarded my dislikes to the designers...
Kip wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:45 pmthe logo has been discussed to death
So I cant be that wrong... :lol:

See, here's my simple calculation/opinion/guessing (wont state them as 'facts' this time - even though i pretty much do know what i am talking about).

PS: I am referring to 'the logo', but that should stand for brushing, fitting of the endlinks (stairs), the logo, the name, the positioning of 'super compressor', etc. - you get it. At 1.200€ we are operating at a price point where people are looking at details and where there should be enough margin to adapt the production process to further optmize the profit.

---
60% buy a watch and dont even care about the logo
20% dont like the logo but still buy the watch because they like the story behind the brand etc.
10% dont buy it because they dont like the logo (*)
5% buy anything just because they can or are collectors
5% undefinable rest
---

(*) If I -as a company- could conquer that last 10% (and increase my profits by 10%) - e.g. only by adjusting small things, I pretty much would! But how do I know what is putting those 10% off? Where do I get this information from? Well, take a guess...

So I dare to say: most welcome (did that for free in my spare time)!

Have a great time, folks!
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Seahorse wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:39 am
(*) If I -as a company- could conquer that last 10% (and increase my profits by 10%) - e.g. only by adjusting small things, I pretty much would! But how do I know what is putting those 10% off? Where do I get this information from? Well, take a guess...
How would you know (as a company), before adjusting those small things, that the changes wouldn't put off a larger percentage than the existing 10% that are presently put off?
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:58 amHow would you know (as a company), before adjusting those small things, that the changes wouldn't put off a larger percentage than the existing 10% that are presently put off?
As in real life: you never know! But i can not imagine anyone to dislike SEAMLESSLY FITTING endlinks...
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Seahorse wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:39 am
Kip wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:45 pmthe logo has been discussed to death
So I cant be that wrong... :lol:
I wouldn't be so certain. There are actually people that like the logo. Some don't care but only dislike the 9 o'clock placement when used. Yet according to CW, sales continue to grow. Btw.. the same logo arguments were put forth with the first branding change back in 2011.yet again sales growth moved forward.
Seahorse wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:39 am See, here's my simple calculation/opinion/guessing (wont state them as 'facts' this time - even though i pretty much do know what i am talking about).
Would you care to reveal how you are so qualified or your source(s)?

Seahorse wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:39 am ---
20% dont like the logo but still buy the watch because they like the story behind the brand etc.
5% undefinable rest
---

Thinking as a business man, I would be more inclined to look at increasing my market share rather than focusing on 10 percent of my current customers. I certainly would not be ignoring them, but it is always a financial decision as to where resources are best put and how to get the greatest return while making refinements along the way.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Seahorse wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:23 am
Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:58 amHow would you know (as a company), before adjusting those small things, that the changes wouldn't put off a larger percentage than the existing 10% that are presently put off?
As in real life: you never know! But i can not imagine anyone to dislike SEAMLESSLY FITTING endlinks...
I'm sorry, it was my understanding that you were talking about 10% and, from the confidence in your statement, that you do know what would happen in real life as you said you'd make the changes.

For my clarification could you specify what 10% you meant -

"10% dont buy it because they dont like the logo (*)
5% undefinable rest"

I can't imagine the full 10% being just anyone that dislikes the present end-links but then it would seem that I don't have the industry experience, qualifications or access to sources that you obviously do so that you "pretty much do know what you're talking about".
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Seahorse wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:39 am See, here's my simple calculation/opinion/guessing (wont state them as 'facts' this time - even though i pretty much do know what i am talking about).
How about introducing yourself here viewforum.php?f=6 and letting us know a little bit about you and your horological history/knowledge.

(...or are you just another MadJam!)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

5% undefinable rest[/quote

Two things strike me about these statistics; 0% like the logo, that seems slightly odd, and, I'm always rather suspicious of such neat percentages.
You don't quote your sample size - can you elaborate?