CW’s online sales system – why so archaic?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

CW’s online sales system – why so archaic?

Post by Dilbert »

I’ve just given up on a couple of purchases.

I tried to buy a watch or two from CW, but to no avail. It appears that the website showed several items in the sale that weren't available :( when I attempted to buy them. CW needs a better online system! (It's not updated even twenty-four hours later.)

Yes, I know, I was after products in the sale. But it left me feeling frustrated with CW, and I needed to grumble :grumble:
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Re: CW’s online sales system – why so archaic?

Post by Toph »

Yes it frustrating. I wouldn’t say archaic, it more enhancements and tech is upgraded regularly and then there are the unexpected bugs as a result . It happens to every business far more than you think. They upgrade 5 things and break something completely unrelated

Maybe contact CW customer service to explain and see if they will honour the price for you
Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I'm not sure there is anything to honour here.
I think the OP is just referring to the fact that it displays out of stock items with the 'Add to bag' button disabled.

Slightly irritating, but that's about it.
Ryan
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Their website has certainly improved significantly in the past year or so. Remembering back to when it was extremely difficult even to get the site to load when the sales were on.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

Post by Dilbert »

OK, I tried to buy from the website again (not a the sale item time). But the website wouldn't let me go through with the purchase (for the umpteenth time) ](*,)

I give up. Is CW's website a hoax (with pictures of nonexistent watches) :thumbdown: ?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Dilbert wrote:OK, I tried to buy from the website again (not a the sale item time). But the website wouldn't let me go through with the purchase (for the umpteenth time) ](*,)

I give up. Is CW's website a hoax (with pictures of nonexistent watches) Image ?
I have found a way to ensure smooth passage, usually, is to log into my Account first. Then add an item to my bag and purchase.

However, at what point in the purchase procedure will it not let you continue?

I actually had an issue last week when trying to buy a C65 AM 2 VEV and paying with PayPal credit, forgetting that I didn't have enough of a credit balance available. It wouldn't go through (not a surprise).

I sorted out the credit balance issue and tried again a couple of days later, but it was still blocked.

Solution? I contacted Customer Service who created an order for me and emailed it to my PayPal account. I clicked through from the email to my PayPal account and completed the transaction immediately.

Hope this helps.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Dilbert wrote:. . . ..

Is CW's website a hoax (with pictures of nonexistent watches) Image ?
I wish it was, I would have saved myself a small fortune. :lol: :lol:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

What the OP is describing sounds something like an issue I experienced in some of my first purchases from CWL. The site apparently would not allow me to complete a purchase when using either a Visa credit card or a debit card based in the US. Purchases were blocked, I initially thought by CWL, but after consulting with their CS, it turned out that the card operators here in the states had blocked the purchases, because of 1) large monetary amounts, and 2) the purchases were being made from an overseas company. It turned out that the credit cards were blocked by their respective fraud departments, who were trying to protect me from suspected fraud. After contacting my credit union and explaining the situation, the purchases were cleared, and subsequently, the re-ordered items went through the CWL site without problems. Anytime I have made a purchase from CWL or other overseas companies, I have contacted my credit card operators, so as to avoid potential issues. Seems to have worked OK, so far. Hope this might help.

Tom
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

trsullivan wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:21 am What the OP is describing sounds something like an issue I experienced in some of my first purchases from CWL. The site apparently would not allow me to complete a purchase when using either a Visa credit card or a debit card based in the US. Purchases were blocked, I initially thought by CWL, but after consulting with their CS, it turned out that the card operators here in the states had blocked the purchases, because of 1) large monetary amounts, and 2) the purchases were being made from an overseas company. It turned out that the credit cards were blocked by their respective fraud departments, who were trying to protect me from suspected fraud. After contacting my credit union and explaining the situation, the purchases were cleared, and subsequently, the re-ordered items went through the CWL site without problems. Anytime I have made a purchase from CWL or other overseas companies, I have contacted my credit card operators, so as to avoid potential issues. Seems to have worked OK, so far. Hope this might help.

Tom
Which sounds like a helpful hindrance really much in the way that a couple of years back I received an out-of-the-blue call from my bank to ask if I really had been trying to buy some airline tickets on my credit card? (The call really was from my bank and I really hadn't been trying to buy airline tickets btw). I realise that this doesn't help Dilbert. Dilbert might it be possible for you to get CS to stay online and walk/talk you through another determined attempt?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

Post by Dilbert »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:05 pm at what point in the purchase procedure will it not let you continue?
Thanks, Guy. I tried logging into my account first, then adding the watch to my bag. Frustratingly, it still didn't let me purchase it. I can log in and add the item, but nothing happens when I click on the Checkout button. It doesn't matter if I switch device or use another browser. Nothing happens when I click on the Checkout button.

I'm not using PayPal (it won't let me get far enough to choose the payment method). And I'm based in the UK. The last time this problem happened, I was trying to buy a sale item, and Customer Services said the watch was likely out of stock. However, it was shown as in-stock for three days! This time, I'm trying to buy a regular item but have the same problem. I'm convinced there's an IT issue, and it's already lost CW some revenue.

And Customer Services must be busy because I can't get through. I give up!
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

It may have been suggested already, but have you tried clearing the cache on your browser?
Richard
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

Post by Dilbert »

Thanks, Richard. I wondered if the cache was a problem. But I even ran a disk cleanup, tried three different browsers and a couple of different devices! All to no avail.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ Have you tried buying as a guest, rather than your account?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think we have all had the buy it now button not working, or worse, getting told it's out of stock at checkout. It's the problem of a system that lets multiple buyers put the same item in their carts and race to the checkout. It's not just CW. The alternative is letting a buyer put the item in their cart, and then give them a few minutes to checkout.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

What are you trying to buy? Can we test it, see if it works for us?