Opinions on Staib mesh bracelet?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Opinions on Staib mesh bracelet?

Post by MichaelMD »

Two days into Wordglow ownership and I'm already considering adding the mesh bracelet. I'm not a fan of leather straps in the heat of the summer. It looks like the one that CW sells is the Staib Polished Mesh Bracelet. Does anyone own one these? Curious to get some opinions and a wrist shot or two if possible. CW only sells the 150 mm version so I would need to buy the 170 mm from another vendor. I do like that this particular mesh bracelet has removable links for sizing. Never owned a mesh and wondering are they too flashy looking, too "blingy" ???

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Opinions on Staib mesh bracelet?

Post by nbg »

I have one. Good quality, although I don’t often wear it, so don’t have any pics.

I will ferret it out, stick it on a watch and put up a couple of pics for you later this afternoon, so you can checkout the bling factor.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

nbg wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:00 pm I have one. Good quality, although I don’t often wear it, so don’t have any pics.

I will ferret it out, stick it on a watch and put up a couple of pics for you later this afternoon, so you can checkout the bling factor.

Neil
That would be great, thanks Neil. Can I ask why you don't often wear it?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Do you really need the 170mm?

If you get the 150mm from CW, factor in approx 50mm for the watch and you're at 200mm = 20cm - 7 7/8" wrist.

As to a mesh bracelet in itself, the Worldglow is a Sports/Dress watch, I'd say perfect. Its more flexible than a standard bracelet and none of those gaps to get wrist hairs trapped in.

I had similar thoughts on the quasi-mesh bracelet for my Visitor Duneshore but bought it anyway. Now that I have it, I'm glad I got it.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

I have the CW (Staib) 20mm mesh bracelet for my C5 MMVX FLE. I don't keep it on all the time, as I prefer leather most of the time on this as a dress watch, but when I do it's very comfortable and does add a little "bling" to the watch :D

It's also very easy to resize by removing/adding link sections around the clasp. I think mine was one of the earlier versions which was actually 170mm and for reference, I've had to remove one link on my 7.5" wrist... however the C5 is a possibly a slightly smaller watch, so the Worldglow might not need the additional length :?

FWIW, If I had a Worldglow or Moonglow, I'd probably put it on the mesh too :thumbup:

Here's a few photos, hope they help... two on the mesh and one a the black (croc pattern) Bader deployant strap for reference...

C5_MMXV_FLE_Wrist_Mesh.jpg
C5_MMXV_FLE_Wrist_Mesh_2.jpg
C5_MMXV_FLE_Wrist_Black_Alligator.jpg
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:12 pm Do you really need the 170mm?

If you get the 150mm from CW, factor in approx 50mm for the watch and you're at 200mm = 20cm - 7 7/8" wrist.

As to a mesh bracelet in itself, the Worldglow is a Sports/Dress watch, I'd say perfect. Its more flexible than a standard bracelet and none of those gaps to get wrist hairs trapped in.

I had similar thoughts on the quasi-mesh bracelet for my Visitor Duneshore but bought it anyway. Now that I have it, I'm glad I got it.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Hmmm you might be right on the 150. I measured the outer length of the leather strap as it is set now at 170mm. But that number is inflated due to the end of the strap under the deployant. Interesting, when I measure the circumference of my wrist I'm getting 190 mm. Lug hole to lug hole is around 47 mm on this watch so I think you're right that 150 might do it.
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

JasperCat wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:22 pm I have the CW (Staib) 20mm mesh bracelet for my C5 MMVX FLE. I don't keep it on all the time, as I prefer leather most of the time on this as a dress watch, but when I do it's very comfortable and does add a little "bling" to the watch :D

It's also very easy to resize by removing/adding link sections around the clasp. I think mine was one of the earlier versions which was actually 170mm and for reference, I've had to remove one link on my 7.5" wrist... however the C5 is a possibly a slightly smaller watch, so the Worldglow might not need the additional length :?

FWIW, If I had a Worldglow or Moonglow, I'd probably put it on the mesh too :thumbup:

Here's a few photos, hope they help... two on the mesh and one a the black (croc pattern) Bader deployant strap for reference...

C5_MMXV_FLE_Wrist_Mesh.jpg

C5_MMXV_FLE_Wrist_Mesh_2.jpg

C5_MMXV_FLE_Wrist_Black_Alligator.jpg
That looks really sharp, thanks for posting. :clap:
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

MichaelMD wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:43 pm That looks really sharp, thanks for posting. :clap:
No worries, you're welcome :D

Lovely watch that Worldglow :clap:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

MichaelMD wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:09 pm
nbg wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:00 pm I have one. Good quality, although I don’t often wear it, so don’t have any pics.

Neil
Hi Michael, I have just had a quick look, but can’t lay my hands on it.

The watch that initially bought it for was the C5 MMXV FLE - the same watch that JasperCat has it on in the pics. I have also occasionally worn it on a Speedmaster.

Thinking about it, the reason that I haven’t worn it more is that in my view it isn’t as flexible as say a jubilee or oyster style bracelet. It certainly doesn’t drape around the wrist as well as a jubilee or oyster. Some styles of mesh may well do, but this particular style of Staib doesn’t.

Whether that is an issue probably depends on wrist shape and size.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

These Staib bracelets are also superb quality, very thick but comfortable... the only other mesh I have is the Milanese Loop for my Apple Watch and whilst that's comfortably, it's much thinner and feels slightly less "premium".

Remember you will need a strap changing tool for this, as it's not quick release like the straps and bracelets... it is very easy to change though with the right tool (I have a Bergeon) :thumbup:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

nbg wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:49 pm Thinking about it, the reason that I haven’t worn it more is that in my view it isn’t as flexible as say a jubilee or oyster style bracelet. It certainly doesn’t drape around the wrist as well as a jubilee or oyster. Some styles of mesh may well do, but this particular style of Staib doesn’t.

Neil
That's a valid point, this Staib mesh doesn't drape, it basically goes around your wrist like a solid bracelet would do. The Apple mesh does indeed drape, as it's thinner.

It is however comfortable when sized correctly and feels super dressy/blingy :thumbup:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Yes. Without fitted end links its much easier to remove a bracelet. Probably easier than with a leather strap. as with the leather you have to force the tool between the leather and the lug, With a bracelet, you will have a visible access section.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I think mesh looks really classy. Slightly retro, great for travelling watches. And definitely not as blingy as PCLs :thumbup:

C9F00F1F-820A-4E49-9BDD-914D4BA4A9E9.jpeg
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

nbg wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:49 pm
MichaelMD wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:09 pm

Neil
Hi Michael, I have just had a quick look, but can’t lay my hands on it.

The watch that initially bought it for was the C5 MMXV FLE - the same watch that JasperCat has it on in the pics. I have also occasionally worn it on a Speedmaster.

Thinking about it, the reason that I haven’t worn it more is that in my view it isn’t as flexible as say a jubilee or oyster style bracelet. It certainly doesn’t drape around the wrist as well as a jubilee or oyster. Some styles of mesh may well do, but this particular style of Staib doesn’t.

Neil
Never thought about that but I can picture what you are saying. It doesn't follow the specific contour of the wrist. So it might work best on a rounder wrist vs a flatter one. My wrist is larger but flatter too. This is why bigger watches like the Worldglow work so well for me. Lot of real estate on the top of my wrist.

Maybe I look for a place to order over here in the States with a free return policy so I can actually touch/feel one before being stuck with it.
alanrolfe01
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 25

Post by alanrolfe01 »

I had a similar issue with the Staib on the C3 GT recently. In error I didn't get it resized at CW. The 160mm length arrived although size options to 250mm are offered CW can only size up to 190mm. I'm waiting for an order of the additional links I need. It appears that Staib offer a few length options of mesh and then limit the range of links needed to cover a limited size range.