C60 Abyss SH21 is 30 ATM or 60ATM?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: C60 Abyss SH21 is 30 ATM or 60ATM?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Jasonchan wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:56 pm What i meant is.. when we manually wind C60 Abyss Sh21, once power reserve reached full power. Will the winding tighten or we can continue winding?

Cause I kept winding and winding waiting for it to tighten but it didn't.
That's what you would find. An automatic has a clutch that slips when full power is reached, so the winding action on the crown then has no effect. But unlike in a manual watch there is no "stop".

With an automatic, as mentioned above, it's best to wind in enough power to get it going, then let it power up fully on your wrist.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Jasonchan

Post by Jasonchan »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:00 pm
Jasonchan wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:56 pm What i meant is.. when we manually wind C60 Abyss Sh21, once power reserve reached full power. Will the winding tighten or we can continue winding?

Cause I kept winding and winding waiting for it to tighten but it didn't.
That's what you would find. An automatic has a clutch that slips when full power is reached, so the winding action on the crown then has no effect. But unlike in a manual watch there is no "stop".

With an automatic, as mentioned above, it's best to wind in enough power to get it going, then let it power up fully on your wrist.
👍👍
Jasonchan

Post by Jasonchan »

Finally received an email from CEO.

¹) Return to fix the dial.
Or
²) Accept and live with it.

No alternative monetary compensation etc.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Personally, I wouldn't be bothered too much about the lume. I find lume interesting-ish, but not a deal breaker.

Now, as an overseas customer, I would see if CW would just mail me the replacement dial, so I could keep it in the box, but not bother to get it replaced. Much cheaper for CW and easier for me. I could get a local watch repairer to change it if I really needed, and the spare dial would be a great thing to have.
Jasonchan

Post by Jasonchan »

JAFO wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:36 pm Personally, I wouldn't be bothered too much about the lume. I find lume interesting-ish, but not a deal breaker.

Now, as an overseas customer, I would see if CW would just mail me the replacement dial, so I could keep it in the box, but not bother to get it replaced. Much cheaper for CW and easier for me. I could get a local watch repairer to change it if I really needed, and the spare dial would be a great thing to have.
Strongly agree.

Parting with the watch makes me feel kinda weird.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

*i don’t own an Abyss with the wrong rating on the dial*

I personally struggle to find the error on the dial to be a material breaking point for keeping/returning the watch unless you feel the decrease in actual v. nominal performance truly dampens your enjoyment of it. The only area where I foresee a potential issue arising would be if you were eventually to resell the watch and didn’t disclose the rating difference.

It seems to be an Immaterial issue to me. Disappointing, yes, but is that disappointment great enough? YMMV
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Or

No alternative monetary compensation etc
Those two choices seem to cover the issue. If it bothers you, get the dial changed. If it doesn't bother you, leave as it is. It would be nice if CW could keep a stock of 'correct' dials to change when the watch comes in for a service.
"Monetary compensation"? Maybe it's a generation thing, but I don't get that one - what (financial) loss has anyone suffered as a result of an incorrect depth rating on the dial?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

exHowfener wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:12 pm

Or

No alternative monetary compensation etc
Those two choices seem to cover the issue. If it bothers you, get the dial changed. If it doesn't bother you, leave as it is. It would be nice if CW could keep a stock of 'correct' dials to change when the watch comes in for a service.
"Monetary compensation"? Maybe it's a generation thing, but I don't get that one - what (financial) loss has anyone suffered as a result of an incorrect depth rating on the dial?
Just playing devil's advocate as I don’t necessarily believe this, but the (perceived) financial loss could be in that a 600m dive watch should cost more than a 300m dive watch. I know that’s not necessarily true, but people thought they were getting something for a set price only to find out they are getting less for the same price.

I personally do think CW’s response is acceptable here.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

ajax87 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:28 pm Just playing devil's advocate as I don’t necessarily believe this, but the (perceived) financial loss could be in that a 600m dive watch should cost more than a 300m dive watch. I know that’s not necessarily true, but people thought they were getting something for a set price only to find out they are getting less for the same price.

I don’t think the response is fully acceptable. As you point out above, the watch was not as advertised. CW should offer a third option to return the watch for a full refund since it was not as represented on the website at the time of purchase. While the practical difference between 300m and 600m is negligible, on principal I’d be upset that I didn’t get what I thought I’d paid for.
Drew
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

Isn't 300m WR what you get with a Rolex Submariner?

I suspect that if CW compensated everyone whose watch was damaged by them diving beyond 300m, or otherwise exceeding the WR in some way, it wouldn't cost very much :)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:34 pm
ajax87 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:28 pm Just playing devil's advocate as I don’t necessarily believe this, but the (perceived) financial loss could be in that a 600m dive watch should cost more than a 300m dive watch. I know that’s not necessarily true, but people thought they were getting something for a set price only to find out they are getting less for the same price.

I don’t think the response is fully acceptable. As you point out above, the watch was not as advertised. CW should offer a third option to return the watch for a full refund since it was not as represented on the website at the time of purchase. While the practical difference between 300m and 600m is negligible, on principal I’d be upset that I didn’t get what I thought I’d paid for.
I was under the impression these were just delivered and would be returnable anyway for full refund under the 60/60.
exHowfener wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:42 pm Isn't 300m WR what you get with a Rolex Submariner?

I suspect that if CW compensated everyone whose watch was damaged by them diving beyond 300m, or otherwise exceeding the WR in some way, it wouldn't cost very much :)
Yes, but Rolex didn’t promise 600m :D
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

ajax87 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:02 pm I was under the impression these were just delivered and would be returnable anyway for full refund under the 60/60.
D’oh! I didn’t think of that. I withdraw my comment. :lol:
Drew
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:07 pm
ajax87 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:02 pm I was under the impression these were just delivered and would be returnable anyway for full refund under the 60/60.
D’oh! I didn’t think of that. I withdraw my comment. :lol:
Well I think you had a good point still; 60/60 returns typically require unworn condition, so maybe in this case they could be a little more flexible on the return.
Alex
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

Yes, but Rolex didn’t promise 600m
Just picking up, not too seriously, on the comment that 600m should cost more than 300m. I'm more curious as to what financial loss people think that they've incurred as a result of WR being "only" 300m.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

exHowfener wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:23 pm
Yes, but Rolex didn’t promise 600m
Just picking up, not too seriously, on the comment that 600m should cost more than 300m. I'm more curious as to what financial loss people think that they've incurred as a result of WR being "only" 300m.
Again just trying to think of it from all sides here, but I don’t think there’s an exact answer for that unless you can find a manufacturer who makes the same exact watch in both 300m and 600m and compare the price (I didn’t look but I doubt it’s out there).
There’s a reason this watch is 300m and not 600m, and it 100% would have cost more to manufacture it to achieve a 600m rating, whether you can name that cost or not.

Whether you use it or not doesn’t matter. A promise is a promise, and for most of us this watch is a big chunk of change. The details matter when spending this much money on a watch.

I’ll temper this again with my personal opinion that CWs response is acceptable. I don’t think any monetary compensation is necessary.
Alex