C60 Abyss SH21 is 30 ATM or 60ATM?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: C60 Abyss SH21 is 30 ATM or 60ATM?

Post by Andyshall »

Sorry about the poor phone pics but this is the best lume I have managed and as Guy said, it took a lot of energising and the sapphire got quite warm. It did fade very quickly too.
BEA40938-3C08-4DA8-AA4C-BF8CB300CCE8.jpeg
I like an awful lot about this watch but I have to say that I find the lume very disappointing and facts are that it says 600m on front and 300m on the back. I will certainly not be using it any deeper than 3M but again, it is disappointing that CW have made this mistake.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I guess its a bit like buying a BMW 330i but the badge on the boot is 318d. :(

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

It's not very good quality control. In fact it's the sort of mistake that manufacturers of poor quality fakes make.
SimonGermany
Senior
Senior

Post by SimonGermany »

So, the lume is rubbish and the advertised WR rating is false?

Sounds like a winner! Where do I sign up?

(By the way, the Vostok Amphibian failed at something like 73 ATM. If you guys are after an extreme dive watch they don’t get much better than that, particularly for €50)
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Not necessarily false, but there is certainly a question mark over it.

Re. Vostok, I don't think there is any watch that is a better value proposition.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

SimonGermany wrote: ↑Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:36 pm So, the lume is rubbish and the advertised WR rating is false?
Perceived wisdom is that the WR on the dial is correct, and the caseback marking is an error.

Although this should not have got past QC, the issue was flagged on the forum (for the first time AFAIK) on Christmas Day. Hopefully there will be a response before too long as people start back to work.

EDIT: the page below is from the Trident Mk3 handbook. Unless the owner is a professional diver the 300m is more than sufficient for swimming and scuba. So until an answer appears, assume it's safe for those activities.
dive ratings.jpg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

If anyone is going to check with CW what the WR is, perhaps they could ask at the same time whether it's 600m OR 2000ft ...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Amor Vincit Omnia

exHowfener wrote: ↑Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:02 pm If anyone is going to check with CW what the WR is, perhaps they could ask at the same time whether it's 600m OR 2000ft ...
:lol:
Or perhaps ask these guys? There's 16 feet difference on 300m, 32 feet on 600m.

Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Or perhaps ask these guys?
My budget is more Vostok Amphibia than Rolex but given what they sell for, I probably would!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

According to Mike France at CW, the C60 Abyss SH21 is in fact rated at 30 ATM.
At one point it had been hoped to achieve the higher depth rating but as this would have led to a very thick watch, we decided during the development process to leave it at the still very significant rating of 300 meters. Somehow this change was not communicated to our dial manufacturer and not picked up during our various quality checking processes. This was only spotted just before Christmas and we will be recalling the small number of watches already sent to customers to effect a dial change.
Vallen Hardy will be contacting those that have received the watch with the incorrect dial for replacement as soon as availability is known.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: ↑Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Perceived wisdom is that the WR on the dial is correct, and the caseback marking is an error.
My apologies. I called it wrongly on account of the rating quoted in the handbook. So much for perceived wisdom. :oops:
Steve

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: ↑Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:19 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: ↑Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:56 pm
My apologies. I called it wrongly on account of the rating quoted in the handbook. So much for perceived wisdom. :oops:
You made a very logical assumption. The fact that the handbook has it wrong means the final specs didn’t get communicated to a lot of people! Poor quality control, indeed.

While the practical difference between between 300m and 600m is hardly an issue for the typical owner, it’s still bothersome to find out that what one bought is not as it was represented. This mishap calls for more than just a corrected dial, I think.
Drew
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Another CW own goal! Oops.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

I wrote to customer services yesterday asking for clarification on the depth and regarding the quality of the lume.
Much to my surprise I received a reply from Mike France first thing this morning.
He explained the circumstances around the fact that the dial should read 300m and why the black lume cannot be as bright as other colours. He was clear that the mistake was unacceptable, apologised and explained that Vallen will be in touch.
I have have always been happy with the customer service I have had from CW and I don’t think you can fault an apology and explanation from the CEO.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Andyshall wrote: ↑Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:40 pm I wrote to customer services yesterday asking for clarification on the depth and regarding the quality of the lume.
Much to my surprise I received a reply from Mike France first thing this morning.
He explained the circumstances around the fact that the dial should read 300m and why the black lume cannot be as bright as other colours. He was clear that the mistake was unacceptable, apologised and explained that Vallen will be in touch.
I have have always been happy with the customer service I have had from CW and I don’t think you can’t fault an apology and explanation from the CEO.
An email from the head honcho himself says a lot! It’s very reassuring.
Drew