Custom Duties on CW purchase

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
richardcheung

Re: Custom Duties on CW purchase

Post by richardcheung »

*Update*

Thank you everyone for the advice. I've just received and as other members posted, the condition was impeccable. Although I had a bad experience with customs, I will DEFINITELY be purchasing from Christopher Ward again.

*Edit* Also there wasn't a watch value breakdown sheet in the plastic pocket. Looks like CW did get in contact with DHL

Richard
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

^ Congratulations on your first CW !! Pictures please!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Glad you've got your watch finally and that you are happy with it.
Like Lance said we'd love to see some photos ;)
Ukyo
Junior
Junior

Post by Ukyo »

Hi all, I know this is an old thread but I bumped into the same issue. DHL is asking for a watch/clock details worksheet breakdown. I called them and told them to check the documents w/ the package but they insisted they log a ticket and someone will call me back. At the same time I emailed CW asking them about it. I guess I hit some dollar threshold as when I bought the C60 Lympstone, it went through customs just fine. The cost is more or less the same.

@richardcheung did you have to pay duties?
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Ukyo wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:31 pm Hi all, I know this is an old thread but I bumped into the same issue. DHL is asking for a watch/clock details worksheet breakdown. I called them and told them to check the documents w/ the package but they insisted they log a ticket and someone will call me back. At the same time I emailed CW asking them about it. I guess I hit some dollar threshold as when I bought the C60 Lympstone, it went through customs just fine. The cost is more or less the same.
Sounds like you’ve done all you can and hopefully CW will supply the information to DHL. Maybe someone with more firsthand knowledge can speak to that.

I did a bit of research on this a couple weeks ago when I ordered my Abyss. The threshold is $800, but apparently not all packages are pulled for customs so it might get through with no duty payment.

I had to pay $42 in customs duty for the Abyss. DHL contacted me and took payment the day it arrived in the states, and the watch was sent on its way to me 2 business days later. They didn’t ask me for any worksheet or breakdown. Good luck with your predicament!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:37 am I had to pay $42 in customs duty for the Abyss. DHL contacted me and took payment the day it arrived in the states, and the watch was sent on its way to me 2 business days later. They didn’t ask me for any worksheet or breakdown. Good luck with your predicament!
This is how it should go and most of the time it does go. It's when DHL don't give the correct paperwork to US customs that problems start.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Between the customs duties, and the recent price hikes (pushing a lot of models over the customs threshold, even with a voucher), the only way I see myself buying another CW is in a NN/clearance sale or from a forum member in the sales corner.

This isn’t a criticism of CW, by any means, but simply a reflection of my finances (and not wanting to deal with the hassle of customs duties).
Drew
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

In one of the recent interviews Mike France said that a new billing system they are bringing online will show (and I believe collect although he isn't clear on this point) the customs charges at checkout. This was in the WatchPro interview on Sept 2 at about 41:00. It seemed like this change was imminent then. Wonder what is holding it back.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
JackStraw

Post by JackStraw »

My first post on the forum. I am expecting my first CW (c60 gmt) any day and was not expecting the $86 DHL fee upon arrival to the USA. Not a huge deal, but essentially wiped out my Black Friday discount. The CW retail site is rather vague with their comment about $800 duty limit, only mentioning that US Customs may ask for our SSN, tax id or some BS. They should clearly state that there WILL BE A DUTY FEE for orders over $800. I could have ordered the less expensive strap version initially and then ordered the bracelet another time. Unfortunately, I ordered the more expensive bracelet option AND a 2nd strap, which put me over the $800. Live and learn, I suppose. Now I hope I like the watch or I am out the DHL fees if I return.

I do hope others can learn from my post.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I don't think you can blame CW for USA customs charges.

This is stated on the website under Delivery and Returns.

Customs and duties
For orders with shipping addresses outside of the UK and the EU, no VAT will be payable, but Customs Duties may be payable by you depending on local regulations and thresholds.

If applicable, this will be levied once a shipment reaches your country and will be based on product information provided by us. In addition, you may need to pay for any additional charges for customs clearance. We recommend you contact your local customs office should you require further details which may be particular to your country.

Please note international shipments may, from time to time, be subject to cross border inspections.

For orders over the value of $800 being shipped to the United States, to ensure the release of your purchase from customs you may be required to supply your Social Security number or Tax ID to the DHL agent. Unfortunately we are not able to prevent this request.

We are unable to refund any customs duties paid if you return your watch for a refund or an exchange.

Repairing and/or servicing a watch does not incur customs charges.

While I do agree it would be great if CW could provide details for every country they ship to, I just don't believe it is a feasible option for them. To many countries and to many different ways that countries calculate duty and fees. The responsibility falls to us as buyers.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

As a side note it's equally hard importing into the UK. If the seller marks the goods properly you get charged 20% plus £8 handling. Now i know eBay and other places offer inclusive rates for these, but from experience they charge a little more than 20%. Also occasionally the RM let a parcel through without charging. The charges apply to pretty well every import, as the free limit is only £15. Let's not talk about China.

So the upshot is we have to pay 20% sales tax.

The first time I imported I wasn't sure how it worked, and prepaid. The second time I didn't prepay and waited for RM to bill me, and that's what I do now, if I can.

So it actually sounds like in the US they have a fairly high "free import" ceiling, but if you exceed that ceiling the rules are you pay sales tax. I don't know what the rate is, but that's their rules, and we are stuck with them.

With eBay and Amazon they have import deposits on some things, but on others you get advised that import duties may be payable.

A final thought is that after we leave the EU we might find that we have to pay 20% on imports from the EU. I'm not sure whether you would get charged at the moment importing from Switzerland or Monaco, but I certainly didn't want to test it.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

JackStraw wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:24 pm My first post on the forum. I am expecting my first CW (c60 gmt) any day and was not expecting the $86 DHL fee upon arrival to the USA. Not a huge deal, but essentially wiped out my Black Friday discount. The CW retail site is rather vague with their comment about $800 duty limit, only mentioning that US Customs may ask for our SSN, tax id or some BS. They should clearly state that there WILL BE A DUTY FEE for orders over $800. I could have ordered the less expensive strap version initially and then ordered the bracelet another time. Unfortunately, I ordered the more expensive bracelet option AND a 2nd strap, which put me over the $800. Live and learn, I suppose. Now I hope I like the watch or I am out the DHL fees if I return.

Sorry that you were surprised by the charges, but, as Kip said, it is not feasible for CW (or any other company) to list the possible duties for every country they ship to. I have never, and likely will never, see such a list on a website. Like most internet retailers, CW advice purchasers to arm themselves with knowledge regarding import taxes and duties for their country. It is not reasonable to expect more from any seller.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Lavaine wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:27 am
JackStraw wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:24 pm My first post on the forum. I am expecting my first CW (c60 gmt) any day and was not expecting the $86 DHL fee upon arrival to the USA. Not a huge deal, but essentially wiped out my Black Friday discount. The CW retail site is rather vague with their comment about $800 duty limit, only mentioning that US Customs may ask for our SSN, tax id or some BS. They should clearly state that there WILL BE A DUTY FEE for orders over $800. I could have ordered the less expensive strap version initially and then ordered the bracelet another time. Unfortunately, I ordered the more expensive bracelet option AND a 2nd strap, which put me over the $800. Live and learn, I suppose. Now I hope I like the watch or I am out the DHL fees if I return.

Sorry that you were surprised by the charges, but, as Kip said, it is not feasible for CW (or any other company) to list the possible duties for every country they ship to. I have never, and likely will never, see such a list on a website. Like most internet retailers, CW advice purchasers to arm themselves with knowledge regarding import taxes and duties for their country. It is not reasonable to expect more from any seller.
+2 here. It's the buyers responsibility to research their purchase (watch or otherwise), from out of country to understand their customs obligations.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

richardcheung wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:38 am *Update*

Thank you everyone for the advice. I've just received and as other members posted, the condition was impeccable. Although I had a bad experience with customs, I will DEFINITELY be purchasing from Christopher Ward again.

*Edit* Also there wasn't a watch value breakdown sheet in the plastic pocket. Looks like CW did get in contact with DHL

Richard
Thanks for the update on this Richard :thumbup:
Delighted that you were happy with the watch.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

My new Super Compressor that my wife got me for my birthday got hung up. She told me after the fact that she had a really hard time. #1 why would they contact the receiver for a parts breakdown? They should go straight to the shipper. I would also bet that the paperwork goes missing leaving customs in the UK. I find it hard to believe that after all of this time CW forgets to put it in so many packages. If it happened to me I could sort it out but she was very close to getting the watch sent back because she didn't know what to do. This really needs to be sorted.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London