C65 Sandstorm Chronometers

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TempusFugit
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 4

Re: C65 Sandstorm Chronometers

Post by TempusFugit »

This is fascinating. I think the blackout is great. But I like small watches with big crowns and good movements. I get that others don't. Personally, I think all the C60s are awful derivative designs and it has always amazed me how they are so popular and sell so well. Horses for courses. Maybe I'm just weird. I do have a lot of strange watches that's for sure, including CWs. All my CWs are out of the ordinary and the ones that nobody else seems to like!
Four CWs and too many others to list!
And loads of clocks.
And bicycles.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

My personal view is that I quite like the Blackout design, but the lack of a bracelet option means it's a non-starter for me. Shame, as 38mm is the perfect size for a sports watch like this. Of course, there is still the C65 Sandhurst as an option, which is lovely, but too similar to my Explorer and would just be creating duplication in my collection.

Nice to see a second use of a date pointer though, after first being seen in the Moonglow. I must get a watch with a date pointer one day.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
TempusFugit
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by TempusFugit »

Maybe it has something to do with being Welsh? I'm a Cardiffian. And I have an Explorer 1 (the proper one, not the modern massive ones)!
Four CWs and too many others to list!
And loads of clocks.
And bicycles.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

I am not certain who designed them but it can't do any harm having another pair of eyes to ensure that the text is in the centre on first release.
Well I think it is I'm not sure.

Need to see more pictures to be totally convinced or make an accurate judgement but they are something different and an interesting development on existing designs - to see more of the use of a pointer date design would be great.

With only 300 units they are going to sell so I wonder if this may lead them to releasing the model in future with other colours/finishes which could possibly transform the watch again and give it another look - I just don't personally like the current combinations but I am sure others will.
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

Not into these, dull and uninteresting and at 38mm too small for my tastes. But good luck to CW and W&W - I am sure it will do well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Raisins in Rice Pudding? Seriously? Jam is the only possibility
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I would just add that DNA, brand etc etc aside, I’m intrigued by these designs. Pretty certain they’re not for me, but something different with some interesting features
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

please delete
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by CBMVic20 »

Awful looking watches, the pair of them :thumbdown:
Don't know what they're smoking down in Maidenhead but please stop :oops:
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

There's only one suitable accompaniment to a rice pudding, and that's the bin!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

So does this make it what you call a "Marmite Watch" then? ... it's polarising, people either love it or hate it?
Ian
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Tortoise wrote:So does this make it what you call a "Marmite Watch" then? ... it's polarising, people either love it or hate it?
Sounds like it. Love Marmite (Vegimite).

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ With respect, I feel that we should not discount a third possibility. Some people might actually be completely indifferent to it. As I said above, I’m not smitten and therefore would certainly not contemplate buying one; on the other hand it doesn’t have me clawing my eyes and crying out.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:12 am ^^^ With respect, I feel that we should not discount a third possibility. Some people might actually be completely indifferent to it. As I said above, I’m not smitten and therefore would certainly not contemplate buying one; on the other hand it doesn’t have me clawing my eyes and crying out.
Great post, Steve

In my post I used the words “dreadful” and “awful”, however I think this is a much better way of describing my feelings.

I look forward to new CW releases, because of the quality and value for money. Then when they turn out like this, my disappointment takes over.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

TheBeatles wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:26 am I look forward to new CW releases, because of the quality and value for money. Then when they turn out like this, my disappointment takes over.
Thank you, Brian. The disappointment is something I understand completely. A few years ago I looked forward to new introductions and felt disappointed when I didn't like them enough to buy. I've since developed the attitude that whatever is coming up probably won't appeal to me, but I will retain a faint hope. This has been helped by the fact that my watch acquisition has slowed right down anyway (one watch in the last two years) and by the thing that I am finding the most disappointing right now: the seemingly unshakeable focus on the dive collections.

The only watch I regret not buying in recent years is this. You can probably see why.

At the time I thought it would make a great daily wearer. But in common with a lot of members, I don't really HAVE a daily wearer. Anyway, that was before my two game-changers came along.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)