Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

CW 8 watch collectors case

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Hi,

Has anyone got the leather 8 watch case from CW?

I know it's expensive at £140 but just wondering if any owners can provide any feedback?

Owning so many watches and most of them in their own boxes takes up so much space, I did buy a couple of Fossil watch cases a couple of years ago which are great but most of my CW watches are in the older style deluxe cream/black and they take up so much space.

Cheers
Johnny
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: CW 8 watch collectors case

Post by srs1286 »

I've only heard good things about them. If you want a non brand specific box I can recommend the WOLF Howard watch box which is around the same price with a few additional features after some discount (25-30% is not uncommon).

https://www.wolf1834.com/item/465265/
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’ve had one for about a year and it is an excellent piece of kit. A tad expensive, perhaps, but the leather is very good quality, the box is well lined and the individual sections and cushions are roomy enough to accommodate large watches. Sorry I don’t have any really good photos of the box, but to give you an idea of the sizes that it can accommodate, here is mine with my CW collection in it.
8268298E-E8E0-4CD0-8460-8B47CA285ED3.jpeg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

Not directly answering the question I know, but I have just today ordered the Dulwich Designs Heritage 10 piece watch box. I'd seen the manufacturer recommended on this forum when searching.

Prior to that, I was seriously considering the 8 piece box, which at £55 I thought was a steal.
https://www.sarahbeth.co.uk/dulwich-des ... 1203-p.asp
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Thanks for the replies and I will check those other options out.
Johnny
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I use these:

https://www.frilewa.de/produkte/uhrenka ... kasten?p=1

they are a little cheaper, good quality and the compartments will handle watches upto 55mm so can even be used for pocket watches. You can get them on Amazon UK, often discounted.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I’ve got a Jacob Jones 8 watch box viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48939#p721423 Still very pleased with it a year later.

These things come and go but still seems available from supplier https://jacob-jones.com/products/jewell ... h-box.html and probably elsewhere.
Tim
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by McDaWisel »

I concur with srs1286. The Wolf boxes are great. I got this 10 watch case with little drawer - paid 165 GBP at the time.

WOLF Watch Storage case: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WMGSDM2? ... b_ap_share

Also got one of their travel cases, that on the other hand is useless. Nothing but a super thin ladies watch on - soft strap fits in there. Nothing on a bracelet would bend enough to fit in nor anything bigger than about 13mm...
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Don't know about you guys, but while we're always really careful (to the point of paranoia perhaps) about placing our mechanical watches anywhere near magnets, I can't help feeling that there's something not quite right about a watch box with strong magnetic clasp.

Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Thanks for the replies, the Dulwich boxes seem good value and I think if I am to spend well in excess of £100 on one I prefer the CW one to the Wolf one.

I have asked CW about the magnetic clasp, good point!
Johnny
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

From personal experience, steer clear of the cheaper Dulwich Park Lane box that biggus_richus considered (linked).
Made the right choice going for their Heritage model.
I bought the Park Lane 3-slot to try out as it was on offer somewhere.

The "cushions" are much too small for the openings, so your watches end up rattling side-to-side and rocking back and forth whenever it is moved.

Due to the amount of play, the watches tend not to sit properly, so you end up with dials facing all over the place. My OCD couldn't handle it! :D
Ryan
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Thanks - also to be honest the Fossil leather watch boxes I have 2 of are extremely good, and they were massively reduced in price, I use one for some of my non CW watches, so I could always use the other (I gave to my wife) for my CW one's and buy her a cheap one!

I think if I am to spend £100 plus I may as well get the CW one.

Any owners on here can clarify on the magnetic clasp as commented by Rich?
Johnny
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by johnnysharp2 »

richtel wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:00 pm Don't know about you guys, but while we're always really careful (to the point of paranoia perhaps) about placing our mechanical watches anywhere near magnets, I can't help feeling that there's something not quite right about a watch box with strong magnetic clasp.

I asked CW and already had a reply:

Dear Mr Sharp,

Thank you for your email, the magnetic strip on the box will not effect the watches, they have been made to not effect any of the watches stored in the box.

Kind Regards,
Johnny
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

+3 for Wolf - I have 3 of various capacities and purchased from Massdrop, they appear regularly and cost was approx. £80 for the 10 piece model.
Wouldn't buy anything else.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

The things that turned me off of the Wolf box are the glass lid and the lock and key fastener... Worth pointing out that they ran a half price promotion last Black Friday though.

Anyhow, the Dulwich Heritage turns up this afternoon, so feedback (and maybe even a SOTC) later.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex