Small-wrist Blues for Enthusiasts of New Watches

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
atx4ever83

Small-wrist Blues for Enthusiasts of New Watches

Post by atx4ever83 »

Hey, CW fans. I'm a newbie watch lover with 6.5 inch wrists and just got my first entry-level luxury watch, the C65 Trident Vintage. I absolutely love it but wish it was a 36mm with a lug height of 42mm or less. A C65 in 36mm with a 42mm lug height would be a dream! I prefer new watches as opposed to vintage watches and I've found it's VERY difficult to find many micro-brands and other entry-level luxury watch makers that make 34-36mm watches with small to medium sized lug to lug height. My max case diameter is 38mm and my max lug to lug height is 44mm. I don't have any stats on this but I can imagine 40mm-42mm sells the best and smaller watches are more risky especially for smaller brands.

Another issue I have is with "influencers" such as RMRS "Real Men Real Style" and IAmAlphaM that encourage the oversized watch trend. An example of this is their article "How To Buy The Right Size Watch For Your Wrist | 5 Tips For Purchasing Proportional Watches" where, in my opinion, their suggested sizes are 2mm too large for each wrist size. This opinion of mine is mostly based on the commonly held belief that the lugs should not overhang the wrist edges. I admit that my opinion of the "proper" case diameter size is based on pre-1990s watch size tastes (I was born in 1983).

Watches currently in production that have dimensions that fit my wrists are
a) the IWC pilot 36mm (although the lugs are still too large at 46mm)
b) the Nomos Club 36mm (although the lugs are still too large at 47mm)
c) the Junghans Max Bill manual 34mm
d) the Rolex Datejust 36mm (although the lugs are still too large at 44mm)

My question for those on this forum is what would be the most effective way to encourage watchmaking companies to develop smaller watches for watch-lovers with smaller wrists? I've considered:
a) starting a YouTube channel but there's already The Slender Wrist.
b) I've also considered staging a tongue-in-cheek "protest" at events such as Baselworld and SIHH where small-wristed watch lovers hold signs with
slogans such as, "Small Wristed People Matter!"
c) Another idea is starting a petition through change.org where I amass signatures of small-wristed watch lovers that want smaller watches.

I'm eager to hear thoughts on this topic and especially any suggestions for practical ways I can bring people together to encourage watch manufacturers to make smaller watches.
Attachments
IMG_3628.JPG
IMG_3613.JPG
fullsizeoutput_22e5.jpeg
IMG_3605.JPG
fullsizeoutput_22e6.jpeg
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Small-wrist Blues for Enthusiasts of New Watches

Post by 0uatiOW »

atx4ever83 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:51 am Watches currently in production that have dimensions that fit my wrists are
a) the IWC pilot 36mm (although the lugs are still too large at 46mm)
b) the Nomos Club 36mm (although the lugs are still too large at 47mm)
c) the Junghans Max Bill manual 34mm
d) the Rolex Datejust 36mm (although the lugs are still too large at 44mm)
Welcome to the forum. You can add the Tudor Black Bay 36 to your list above, though I don’t know the L2L. Check out this link below - I was surprised to see the Oris 65 Diver Bronze Bezel, coming in at 36mm. The 65 is a beautiful watch, and the bronze bezel edge is a really nice touch.

https://gearpatrol.com/2018/11/29/best- ... s-for-men/

Your wrists aren’t particularly small at 6.5 inches - on the smaller side yes, but not freakishly small - mine is 7 inches, so not a lot bigger. I wager larger watches at 40-42mm would still fit on your wrists, but understand they may not be to your liking. Your taste for smaller dials fits perfectly with the vintage watches from the 1950’s & 1960’s - it’s a shame you don’t like them. Perhaps there are vintage inspired models which might suit - you have picked up a Trident Vintage, so perhaps it’s not the vintage look you don’t like, rather the inconvenience or risky nature of the vintage market itself?

I’m sure there are some members with other suggestions. Good luck and keep looking!

Edit: check out the Zelos Mako which is 40mm but has really short lugs and wears really small.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
atx4ever83

Post by atx4ever83 »

Thanks, 0uatiOW, for that link and the suggestions.

The Gearpatrol article is a good one. I'm a proud owner of the SKX013. It was my first automatic watch and also the first watch that helped me understand the size parameters I'm looking for, basically smaller than 38mm and with a lug height of less than 44mm. Once I got the C65 I understood the limitations of the SKX movement. The C65 movement is just gorgeous, especially in comparison to the SKX movement. Also, I definitely want to try on the Zenith Heritage 146. I've tried on the Tudor BB 36 and it just didn't give me that WOW feeling I was looking for. I felt that feeling when I tried on a new Datejust 36mm and a new Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 38mm, although the Omega was a tad large. That Zelos Mako V2 has some gorgeous dial options and I do appreciate the short and knubby lugs. 40mm is just 4mm too large for me. I'm definitely choosy, exacting, finicky, fussy, meticulous, particular, and persnickety but I love how the watch community understands that about me :thumbup:

To your question about vintage watches, yes it's not the vintage look I don’t like, but rather the inconvenience and risky nature of the vintage market itself. I love heritage pieces and pieces with a nod to the past that don't look "retro." A good example of this is the Stowa Partitio in 36mm and Flieger Classic in 36mm. Also, I have a general preference for new things, especially when they come with a warranty. The watch feels all mine when I've been the only person to wear it. Call me crazy or call me picky :D
Attachments
stowa and nomos.jpg
flieger.jpg
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

There are a number of Seiko 5 models that are 36mm: http://www.watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder ... 6&CWMAX=36 as well as the Omega Seameaster Midsize.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by hughesyn »

The manufacturers decide what to make next based on projected sales figures.
These are based on either sales of their own existing models, or competitors.

To get more small watches to be made, you need to convince people to buy smaller watches. It's no use badgering the manufacturers, if they won't sell, they won't make it.
It's a bit like moaning to the car manufacturers because they don't make saloons any more. It's not their fault everyone wants SUVs and crossovers.

It seems like an uphill struggle to bring back smaller watch sizes. In the days of mobile phones and GPS car clocks, a watch is a fashion statement more than anything. That means the material cost is irrelevant (often the more, the better), and it exists to be seen. There is no compelling reason to go small.
My wife has slender wrists, but likes big watches. She wears my C8 no problem. Looking at women's watch sizes from just a few decades ago, you do wonder why on earth they are so tiny.

Take a trip to Japan, small is still big there.
Credor and JDM GS are small.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

The best way to encourage folk to buy (and brands to produce) sensibly sized watches is to post images such as this! :shock:
FE988F22-A9D6-4FC9-B9FB-90E44C9643BC.jpeg
For the avoidance of doubt it is not my wrist, watch or pic. :lol:

At the end of the day everyone has a different view of what size is suitable for their wrist, often determined buy their main motivation for wearable the particular watch. With that in mind it is no surprise that social media is awash with images of large watches.

I remember the experience of trying on a couple of watches. Same model but in different sizes of 37mm and 41mm. To me the 37mm was a much better fit and if I ever went down that route, that is the one I would go for. The young chap in the AD was himself wearing the 41mm version and thought it was the one to go for, “more wrist presence” or words to that effect.

His wrist was smaller than mine.

I wish you luck in your pursuit of sensible sized watches that you are happy with.

You have mentioned the 36mm DJ. It would also be worth looking at the slightly smaller 34mm Oyster Perpetual. For a more dressy look check out the Nomos Ludwig.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Another fan of the smaller watch here. I think 36-38 is just so and looks much better on most people but we have become a bit conditioned by the trend of the last 10-15 years of the larger watches and how they sit on the wrist. I have sold any number of nice watches as I have eventually accepted they just don't fit me!
I think things are changing and another reduction to look for is the longines legend diver which used to be 42 with a big lug to lug but there is now a 36mm (and very tempting) version available.
The recent smaller black bay 58 is also a gazillion times better proportion imho
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
Misterchrono
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Misterchrono »

I also have a 6.5" wrist but the diameter is not the only measure I'd take into consideration when buying.

I wore a 44mm PAM and a vintage Seiko 36mm with equal pleasure.

Did you try MKII watches, they might fulfill your expectations.
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

FWIW, i think manufacturers are moving back toward smaller watches. i don't think you're going to see them move much below 36-38, with occasional exceptions, but we see more 36-38 watches today than we did 5 years ago, and the behemoths above 44mm have become less common. there's been a movement toward vintage style skin divers that are thinner than the heavier dive watches of the more recent past. oris 65, halios seaforth, yema superman recently, as examples. nomos has some 35-36mm options as well, although as you've noted, Nomos does tend to have longer lug lengths.
the "g" is for Greg...
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Welcome! Grand Seiko would have many in your preferred wrist size and are remarkable watches
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

another brand option to look at is Junghans.
the "g" is for Greg...
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

A bit of a different option here, have you looked at the 37mm handwound from Farer? 37mm case, 39.5mm lug to lug, 8.3mm thick. Stunning looking little watch.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

It used to be a hell of alot worse a few years ago, brands are starting to listen and have a wider range of sizes in their collections now.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

I think that you are in luck as the monster size tradition is starting to change and more and more smaller size case options are becoming available.

For me, it is the opposite, as a gorilla wristed bloke I need the larger case sizes and they are getting harder to find! :(

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Dancematt wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:41 pm It used to be a hell of alot worse a few years ago, brands are starting to listen and have a wider range of sizes in their collections now.
True words.

Re Nomos, the Minimatik's dimensions would be perfect for you. (I tried one for size, and it was a much nicer fit than the Club.)