Chat with Chris 2016

News related to Christopher Ward Watches
tempus fugit
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Re: Chat with Chris 2016

Post by tempus fugit »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:....I cannot see myself ever buying anything with the new logo, particularly in its lower case, left justified form. Upper case and centre justified might have me more interested...on the right watch.
Same here exactly - but with the definite additional caveat of the brand value (and I don't mean monetary or simply principles).

Brand value to me is about more than just its (admittedly crucially important) values (principles).

Brand value encompasses also what it stands for beyond ethics and principles, how it chooses to operate and position itself in a market, how it communicates its story, its intrinsic desirability and its perception of quality for an honest price. It's about having qualities you won’t find everywhere or, ideally, anywhere else.

Seth Godin wrote a pretty good (if not exhaustive) summary: "A brand’s value is merely the sum total of...how often [people] choose the expectations, memories, stories and relationships of one brand over the alternatives."
Alex
4x Omega, 3x CW, 1x Tudor, 1x Tag
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

Regarding the so-called 'eye candy'... a design family that has potential... but; the off-centre left justified logo - no - just no... and if you show me the date today I can work out the date before and the date after all on my own. Colour, finish, batons, numerals all good... now potter off back to the drawing board and get it right.

But then again - perhaps there are hundreds of people out there that will like it just the way it is, appreciate its Hamilton-esque look as it stands and type their credit card numbers into the website. It doesn't really matter that I am not one of them, just that there are enough of the number typers.

In the meantime I will keep waiting for the next CW that takes my fancy.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
The Naf
Senior
Senior

Post by The Naf »

I always used to wonder about the open date windows, though I must confess to looking them. Until one day I needed to check the date and the minute hand was obscuring the date...light bulb moment [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

The Naf
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

rgb wrote:
The Naf wrote:Some eye candy from chat...Image
O.M.G. that is one ugly logo. Sorry Chris, but it sucks. Looks totally amateurish.
Was away from the forum for close to 2 weeks due to other commitments and because I thought the chat had been moved to the 16th and had no idea it had been shifted back. :problem:

I think the main problem with the left aligned logo in the watch above is that it's in line with the "1" from the "12" above. I have no idea how to photoshop stuff, but I think it just might ...maybe... look much better if the whole left-aligned logo was shifted just a little to the left of the "1".

Anyway, I'm still doing lots of catching up on threads and I haven't finished reading the transcript. Back to reading....
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
rgb
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rgb »

asqwerth wrote:
I think the main problem with the left aligned logo in the watch above is that it's in line with the "1" from the "12" above. I have no idea how to photoshop stuff, but I think it just might ...maybe... look much better if the whole left-aligned logo was shifted just a little to the left of the "1".

Anyway, I'm still doing lots of catching up on threads and I haven't finished reading the transcript. Back to reading....
No better, IMHO.
Rolex Explorer II | Tudor BBR | Tudor North Flag | Omega Seamaster Pro 300M | Speedmaster 3513.30 | TAG Kirium F1 | Chr.Ward C9 GMT | C10 Mk1 | C65 LE | Oris Player's 7410 |
WR: 7.25"

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

rgb wrote:
asqwerth wrote:

No better, IMHO.
Thanks, rgb, for the photo-manipulation. But you're still trying to centre-align "Christopher" with the "12" above. That's not my proposal and moves "Ward" too much to the left.

The idea is to shift the logo only a teeny tiny bit to the left of "1".

How's this? This is my first photo-manipulation ever (not counting my smudging out personal details on a picture last week, also for the first time), as I always thought it would be too difficult. I'm using GIMP on Linux.

C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

^^^seems the best of the three, but still...
The Naf
Senior
Senior

Post by The Naf »

Say ...that's not bad... possibly the best yet...still I can't help but wonder if the logo as originally proposed by C ward towers but slightly lower wouldn't be even better...

The Naf
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Aesculapius »

Left justified in that position, wherever you place it and however you tweak it, just looks unbalanced and wrong. It looks like they're just trying TOO hard.

Fine, use a sans-serif logotype if they must. It gives the brand no identity at all in my opinion but if that's what they want to do...

However: the absolute insistence on using a left justified version simply makes them look like they've been taken in totally by the spiel from a bunch of branding consultants. Even at the nine o'clock position on the new C65 Mk2 variants, a simple, centre-justified version of the logotext looks better and more professional. I also think the size is wrong on the C65s; the text is too big and too close to the batons which is another reason it looks cramped and jarring. A little more space would let the overall face design "breathe" a bit more.

Despite all the rhetoric from the company, I honestly think this branding will evolve again — and soon.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Aesculapius wrote:Left justified in that position, wherever you place it and however you tweak it, just looks unbalanced and wrong. It looks like they're just trying TOO hard.

Fine, use a sans-serif logotype if they must. It gives the brand no identity at all in my opinion but if that's what they want to do...

However: the absolute insistence on using a left justified version simply makes them look like they've been taken in totally by the spiel from a bunch of branding consultants. Even at the nine o'clock position on the new C65 Mk2 variants, a simple, centre-justified version of the logotext looks better and more professional. I also think the size is wrong on the C65s; the text is too big and too close to the batons which is another reason it looks cramped and jarring. A little more space would let the overall face design "breathe" a bit more.

Despite all the rhetoric from the company, I honestly think this branding will evolve again — and soon.
I totally agree. The font they have chosen is designed to be 'invisible' - it is there to provide information, not artistic identity. The left justification is, IMO, simply appalling. Unbalanced and insecure, like an 18 year old kid sitting back in a leather recliner, swirling a glass of brandy and blowing cigar smoke into the air while he talks loudly on a cellphone and winks at the barmaid. Immature, sad and inappropriate. It's a real shame.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

FloridaPhil wrote:I totally agree. The font they have chosen is designed to be 'invisible' - it is there to provide information, not artistic identity. The left justification is, IMO, simply appalling. Unbalanced and insecure, like an 18 year old kid sitting back in a leather recliner, swirling a glass of brandy and blowing cigar smoke into the air while he talks loudly on a cellphone and winks at the barmaid. Immature, sad and inappropriate. It's a real shame.
This sums it up perfectly for me. Interesting point about how the font type was designed to be used - so not fit for purpose on a watch then, which seems self-evident to me. But that's obviously just my personal opinion. I'm still asking myself how they allowed themselves to be persuaded that the left justification was the way to go.

On another point, I have been spending some time looking at the website again and much of which is written to draw your attention to a particular watch has the opposite effect on me. There's a lot still there that makes me squirm.
'Tis me
George Smiley
Senior
Senior

Post by George Smiley »

I'm selfishly saddened at the logo change....I was looking forward a new and even better c60 diver, BUT with such a poor logo, it's likely to put me off. Hope I'm wrong though. :shock:
fishman
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by fishman »

George Smiley wrote:I'm selfishly saddened at the logo change....I was looking forward a new and even better c60 diver, BUT with such a poor logo, it's likely to put me off. Hope I'm wrong though. :shock:
Don't worry, the logo will look just fine! Remember that you can always send it back for a full refund.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

At least the production version of the C8 PR has a centre justified logo.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
George Smiley
Senior
Senior

Post by George Smiley »

fishman wrote:
George Smiley wrote:I'm selfishly saddened at the logo change....I was looking forward a new and even better c60 diver, BUT with such a poor logo, it's likely to put me off. Hope I'm wrong though. :shock:
Don't worry, the logo will look just fine! Remember that you can always send it back for a full refund.

That's very true, and always a great reason to buy CW I agree. :thumbup: