CWL Summer Magazine 2014

News related to Christopher Ward Watches
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Re: CWL Summer Magazine 2014

Post by welshlad »

Kip wrote:All we know is what is on page 16-19 of the magazine with a release date of soon. I am speculating in Mid May to take advantage of Fathers Day.
Yes, but it's my birthday before then!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Both the C70 D-type and the new C70 Bitofferrariscrapmetalintheback are described as chronometers, but neither says so anywhere on the dial. Isn't that a bit odd? I thought the C70 chronometers (ie those COSC rated) normally stated that somewhere, eg on the dial, rehaut or bezel.

I do actually quite like the look of the D-type version, even though I normally have limited interest in motorsport.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
vikingdrvr
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by vikingdrvr »

welshlad wrote:Both the C70 D-type and the new C70 Bitofferrariscrapmetalintheback are described as chronometers, but neither says so anywhere on the dial. Isn't that a bit odd? I thought the C70 chronometers (ie those COSC rated) normally stated that somewhere, eg on the dial, rehaut or bezel.
I wondered the same thing...COSC-or not?
welshlad wrote:I do actually quite like the look of the D-type version, even though I normally have limited interest in motorsport.
I have a keen interest in motorsports and Jaguar in particular, but very limited and waning interest in a quartz :silent:
...but I do love the tach fashioned subdial. Can't quite make out the other subdial treatment...gauges I guess?
vikingdrvr

InComing: nada
InTheBox: C60 GMT, C7, C7IRR, C70 D-Type, C8, C11. Steinies: Nav B/OVM/OceanTi500/Racetimer X2/Chrono II. Others: SMP300M Chrono, SMdV, Alpina X2, Tissot Chrono, LLD, Heuer 2000 Auto, Breil...
Emily DT, Charlotte Deco, Coral (wife’s)
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Tooks »

My magazine arrived on Friday and looked through it yesterday, and have to say it's an improvement on what has gone before.

It does get a big confused at times, and seems to be undecided whether it's an 'advertorial' publication, a magazine actually produced by CWL or one produced by a third party with CWL sign off.

An example is the 'breaking news' on page 9 about a moon phase watch under development. It states 'rumours from Johannes Jahnke's studio in Switzerland...' and goes on to say 'while the company refused to confirm or deny reports, rumours of a possible launch in 2015 were circulating around horological circles'.

So, a few things raised. If this mag is CWL, they'd know the answer to that surely? The other is talk of it being developed in the master watchmakers studio, and interestingly he isn't referred to as CWL's master watchmaker like he is elsewhere in the magazine.

If anybody insists that CWL is still a manufacturer, somebody set up a factory tour and I will be the first to buy a ticket!

Otherwise, I do prefer the Jump Hour 3 over the previous incarnations, but then I'm not a fan of Roman numerals so not really surprising.

The Kingfisher article was interesting, partly for the fact that something only conceived in 2007 and only recently discontinued can be considered classic and the other that although it was an attractive design, it has not aged well. I also feel the pictures made the watch feel far more substantial than it actually was, and I've owned two!

I think it may be a precursor to a Mk2 version though, and is an attempt to build a heritage.

Overall though, a good effort, and I think I see why a lot of folks are excited by CWL watches, as at least there appears to be many new models and developments coming, and in the oft slow moving watch world that will appeal to some.

Personally, CWL is still a company that I want to love, but that still grates as much as pleases.

I do struggle with the marketing messages sometimes, the many discounts and offers, and the quality worries.
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Nicely balanced post.
Dooku
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by Dooku »

paw3001 wrote:
Mortis wrote:As I read it, lusting after a C5 slimline, I noticed that I had today's C5 slimline email open on my tablet beside me, I was wearing Loakes, I had been searching for a new wallet online and that a picture of Harrison's H4 was on the wall (yes I am sad enough to have this in my living room)... I fear that I may be the target market! :oops:

I still thought the C65 looked like a piece of cr@p though. :thumbup:
Snap!

Oh and I recommend Bellroy slim wallets. I now have 2, travel and everyday
Just ordered myself a Note Sleeve, thx for the tip!
C60-TRI-SKS, C60-TRI-SKOS, C700 SKSI, C10 FLE 2013, C8 MK II, C9 Auto SST, C5 Malvern MK I, RSL04 by Steffen, Tissot T035410 A, Junghans Trilastic, Precista Wyler, Orient Bambino, Festina F16184, ODT OT1029, Ingersoll Richmond, Skagen 509XXLSM
gregstar
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by gregstar »

What price tags do we think the ferrari and jag watches will attract?

I hope the jag one is around the £600 like the c70 vw4 chronos.(optimistic)

I can see the ferrari being a few grand.
One day I'll get found out.
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

gregstar wrote:What price tags do we think the ferrari and jag watches will attract?

I hope the jag one is around the £600 like the c70 vw4 chronos.(optimistic)

I can see the ferrari being a few grand.
Jaguar around £500-600
Ferrari 2k plus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregstar
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by gregstar »

Sounds good to me.
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

That Jaguar did look very nice on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregstar
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by gregstar »

Got my 30th later this year. Could be a good present
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

gregstar wrote:Got my 30th later this year. Could be a good present
Sounds like an excellent plan :thumbup:
willie
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by willie »

Hi just signed up to get it cant wait till I get
Rolex Air king 2016 bloodhound
Rolex Oysterqartz K.serial 2001
CHW 2017 forum LE No 13/50
CHW C60 Trident GMT MK1 Orange Pip
Shinola Rambler GMT 44mm
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Strange, I usually get these but mine hasn't arrived yet ... I don't want to sign up again then end up with 2 arrive, just because some auto labels got printed :)
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Robin CB »

jtc wrote:Strange, I usually get these but mine hasn't arrived yet ... I don't want to sign up again then end up with 2 arrive, just because some auto labels got printed :)
Same problem :? Will give it until after the bank holiday though ....