C63 Sealander Elite review - A lightweight marvel or merely a lightweight?

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: C63 Sealander Elite review - A lightweight marvel or merely a lightweight?

Post by albionphoto »

nbg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:28 pm As always Mark, an excellent well written review! :thumbup:

I will overlook the only error of viewing a 40mm case with a non twisty bezel as small! :)

Neil
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Neil.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Very good review, thank you.

I'm sold on the C63 Elite, it took a while to get used to the left/right symmetry of the case and though it's hidden 99% of the time, the crown when popped out looks like something James Bond would have on his watch for cutting chains, bra straps, diamonds etc. :lol: :lol:

I think the slotted dial and movement are just a complete gimmick, sure they save weight, just like going from bracelet to strap. :thumbup:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

An excellent review, Mark, which I enjoyed reading. In particular, as I have had my Elite for a few weeks, it's interesting to compare your views to how mine have developed over these weeks. I initially wasn't completely sure about the watch in the early days, but it has really grown on me and I now regard it as one of CW's best watches. It really is just that little bit different, in a good way, without being too wacky either, which makes me really appreciate it.

I agree with Neil, though, that at 40mm it's not small. But I agree it does wear small for its size, due to the small dial.

Thanks for taking the time to put the review together. :thumbup:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

welshlad wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:20 pm I agree with Neil, though, that at 40mm it's not small. But I agree it does wear small for its size, due to the small dial.
Obviously you chaps have the advantage of me there, since I have not handled one of these nor tried one on. It is clearly an area where perceptions are dictated by personal preferences. At 7.25 inches my wrist would appear to be slightly bigger than yours, Mark. However, I have the impression that you prefer larger watches. My reaction to your photos is that the watch does not look small in any way, but I know wrist shots can be deceptive.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

My take is that the "inner" watch marked by the minute track, and inside the cutouts, is possibly the same size or maybe even smaller than the similar "watch" inside a sub/sub homage. The main picture on the sale listing shows the cut outs illuminated with a back light. The gallery photos show a rather "smaller" watch on the wrist.

Now I find a 40mm sub to be on the lower limit. I prefer the 41mm C65 with its narrower bezel, or a 42/43mm C60.

I could therefore see myself having the same feeling, that the C63 elite wore too small for me. I am pretty sure I would prefer the C63 range to be 2mm bigger in each model. (7.5inch/19mm wrist)
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:26 am
welshlad wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:20 pm I agree with Neil, though, that at 40mm it's not small. But I agree it does wear small for its size, due to the small dial.
Obviously you chaps have the advantage of me there, since I have not handled one of these nor tried one on. It is clearly an area where perceptions are dictated by personal preferences. At 7.25 inches my wrist would appear to be slightly bigger than yours, Mark. However, I have the impression that you prefer larger watches. My reaction to your photos is that the watch does not look small in any way, but I know wrist shots can be deceptive.
I do prefer larger watches. A quick look at my watch spreadsheet says that I average around 42mm... A lot of this is, as you say, perception. Is it objectively a small watch? Maybe not but the size debate is one that will run and run.
Mark
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Thanks Welshlad. I enjoy wearing the watch but I'm not sure if it is ever going to be one of my favourites.
Mark
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

JAFO wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:46 am My take is that the "inner" watch marked by the minute track, and inside the cutouts, is possibly the same size or maybe even smaller than the similar "watch" inside a sub/sub homage. The main picture on the sale listing shows the cut outs illuminated with a back light. The gallery photos show a rather "smaller" watch on the wrist.

Now I find a 40mm sub to be on the lower limit. I prefer the 41mm C65 with its narrower bezel, or a 42/43mm C60.

I could therefore see myself having the same feeling, that the C63 elite wore too small for me. I am pretty sure I would prefer the C63 range to be 2mm bigger in each model. (7.5inch/19mm wrist)
Thanks JAFO. I agree for me the sweet spot for this would be 42mm. But if 40mm helps make this a success I can't disagree with CW's decision to make it 40mm.
Mark
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

What a terrific and straight forward review. This will no doubt benefit those that are considering the C63 Elite for purchase.

Like AVO, I am considering the Elite, but am awaiting the offer (I hope) of other dial colors in the future.

Your photos are excellent and we would appreciate it if you posted some of them in the Reference Gallery.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:26 am
Well when you're next travelling into Suffolk I'm just outside Bury, I drink coffee and you'd be welcome to try mine on. :thumbup:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

First off, thanks so much for the VERY well written and comprehensive review.
Just my take in the whole size debate. Remember that the whole GODO line was designed to be more of a tool watch designed to be worn, and used. Finding that line between function and fashion, 39 mm is IMHO very nearly perfect. Think of the direction Rolex took the Explorer.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

tikkathree wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:27 pm Well when you're next travelling into Suffolk I'm just outside Bury, I drink coffee and you'd be welcome to try mine on. :thumbup:
Very kind, sir.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Kip wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:02 pm What a terrific and straight forward review. This will no doubt benefit those that are considering the C63 Elite for purchase.

Like AVO, I am considering the Elite, but am awaiting the offer (I hope) of other dial colors in the future.

Your photos are excellent and we would appreciate it if you posted some of them in the Reference Gallery.
Cheers Kip. Photos uploaded.
Mark
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

I do love a good size debate :D :D :D
Mark
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Thanks for the detailed and informative review. I like the honesty and real world element to the review. The C63 Elite is not, and hasn’t been, on my radar and I was quite disappointed when I saw it. I do understand the appeal of the feature list, but the teasers and early promise of an ‘aero’ had me, in my mind at least, hooked on something different to what was delivered.

The cut outs don’t do much for me either. They’re novel, certainly, but remind me in an abstract way of the old running tracks around football pitches which cut off the spectator from the game! Somehow there’s an (unnecessary) disconnect between the outside bezel and the watch face!

I hope they sell well for CW who, once again, has tried some innovation at a more accessible price point.

All was not lost from the launch, by the way. I bought the C63 GMT which is a fabulous watch.