In Review: The C65 AM GT Limited Edition

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

In Review: The C65 AM GT Limited Edition

Post by jkbarnes »

After four months in daily rotation, I think it’s time to review my C65 AM GT Limited Edition. I’m surprised no one else has already. This is probably more of a personal commentary than it is a review, to be honest.

Some Background…
I’ve wanted a chronograph for quite awhile now. It would have a practical benefit in the classroom with its timing ability (at least it would have pre-Covid), and the motorsport heritage of the type fits perfectly for when I’m tossing around my Mazda MX-5 along the back roads of Virginia & Maryland. Any potential acquisition had to be motorsport inspired, ideally have timing ability beyond 30 minutes, and be neither too big nor too busy. I’d prefer an automatic movement, but price considerations made that a long shot.

The C65 AM GT Limited Edition checked all those boxes and then some.

PC160268.jpeg
C65 AM GT Limited edition

The Specs…
Diameter: 41mm
Lug Width: 22mm
Lug to Lug: 47.1
Height: 12.2
Weight: 75g
Case: 316L SS
Calibre: ETA 251.264 BD PRD (COSC)
Water Resistance: 15 ATM
Flat Sapphire crystal
X1 GL C1 lume

My Impressions…
The extra 3mm in diameter this watch has over my C65 Trident Vintage make quite a difference. Although the difference is only 3mm, the bigger watch face combined with the narrow bezel make the C65 AM GT LE wear larger than those 3mm suggest. This doesn’t bother me in the least though. In fact, given the type of watch it is, I want it to look bigger and bolder! Despite the size, it sits nicely on my wrist with the short lugs curving down at just the right spot. On the wrist, I think it looks best on a bracelet because of the way the lugs flow into the bracelet to hug my wrist. With a strap, it doesn’t have the same look and seems just a little bit bulkier.

The execution of the watch face hits all the right buttons for me. While there are three sub-dials that could very easily look too busy and crowded, the black-on-black nature of the sub-dials against the main dial keeps things clean. The raised rings around the sub-dials and the subtle grooved outer ring to the main dial keep things visually interesting so that clean doesn’t become boring.

PC160273.jpeg
The raised ring around the sub-dials and the grooved outer ring add a lot of visual interest

The light catcher C65 case is quite a different beast from the case of my C65 Trident Vintage. I find the subtle curves a bit more graceful and elegant compared the the more slab like nature of the C65 Trident Vintage. The C65 Trident Vintage is more the straight-laced black suit with white shirt of IBM versus the C65 AM GT LE’s navy blazer, blue button down, and khakis of the country club.

What I Love…
The Design: The Aston Martin inspired watch face and case back provide the motorsport reference I wanted in a chronograph without being too over the top. The accents of red provide a nice pop of color that don’t scream out. The date window at 6 o’clock blends in nicely with the over all watch face. If there are issues of readability, it says more about my eyesight than the design.

The Movement: While I would have loved an automatic movement, that was simply out of my price range. A HAQ movement with COSC certification will do quite nicely instead! A quartz movement touted as “the world’s most accurate chronograph movement” offers it’s own bragging rights. I also love all the timing functionality of this movement - 1/10 second counter, 60 second counter, 60 minute counter, and 12 hour counter. All the bases are covered for what I would find myself timing.

PC160269.jpeg
Tri-Compax chronograph featuring central seconds & minutes counters, with a 12 hour totalizer at 9:00 and a 1/10th seconds counter at 3:00

The Limited Run: As some of you might know already, this watch was purchased for me by my entire family as a 50th birthday present. That alone makes the watch special. The fact that it was a limited run of only 350 makes it more so. Securing a specific number that reflects my birthday (259 - 25 September) is the icing on the cake. I’d like to think the run is sold out since it’s no longer listed on the CW website.

Minor Quibbles…
As someone else recently noted, the central second hand will move ever so slightly when the watch is turned crown up. Occasionally the 1/10 second hand doesn’t fully reset to the 12 o’clock position, requiring me to to do a manual reset. And lastly, I’m so used to the box crystal of my C65 Trident Vintage that the flat crystal of this watch seems a bit off putting.

Conclusions…
I love this watch. I have no regrets getting it. It is the perfect celebration of a milestone birthday that I will cherish for years to come.
Drew
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: In Review: The C65 AM GT Limited Edition

Post by Bident »

Great review! Thanks for writing this, Andrew. I really enjoyed reading your thoughtful comments and first rate pictures.
Best regards,
John
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bident wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:41 am Great review! Thanks for writing this, Andrew. I really enjoyed reading your thoughtful comments and first rate pictures.
Thanks for the kind words and the comment on the pictures. I took a lot more that were definitely NOT first rate and didn’t make the cut. I’ve got to work on my focusing - macro lens with a very narrow depth of field.
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Also throughly enjoyed your review and the read Andrew! Loved the macro photos
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

A very good personal review of the lovely C65 AM GT LE Andrew.
An enjoyable read.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

A good read Andrew and a good review of a really nice watch. In fact it has made me want to try one! If anyone has one they are not getting along with....
Cheers now, Paul
nauf
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by nauf »

Impressive review, Andrew. I enjoy reading it.
My small CW collection:
|C20 Lido|C65 GMT|C7 Auto|C60 MKII Bronze|C65 Auto|C60 MKIII GMT|C65 SH21 LE|C65 AM GT LE
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

Great review and photographs.

If there isn't already there should be an amateur watch photography section on here to share tips.

I don't know what I'm doing and take my photos through trial and error mostly with me it's all the gear/no idea.

I'd love to know what are the go to methods that you all use for good pictures.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

RichM wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:04 pm Great review and photographs.

If there isn't already there should be an amateur watch photography section on here to share tips.

I don't know what I'm doing and take my photos through trial and error mostly with me it's all the gear/no idea.

I'd love to know what are the go to methods that you all use for good pictures.
Trust me, there’s a fair bit of trial and error for me too. For these shots, I used a dedicated camera with a macro lens. The advantage is that it allows for very close photography with 1:1 reproduction. The downside is a very narrow depth of field, with only small sliver of the image in focus, so the focus point needs to be spot on. Of all the images I made, only these three had a usable focus. I needed better lighting and a tripod.

I’ve found the secret to consistently good photos is to only share the good ones! :lol:
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Superb review, Andrew – very well put together and with great pics. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and it brings the watch to life.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Excellent review. I enjoyed the read.

More importantly. I am happy you love the watch.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I find the reviews posted here to the forum to be very informative with their personal perspectives. So much more useful than the infomercial “reviews” from the influencers on social media - glorified commercials, really. If my thoughts can help inform someone’s decision on a watch, great!
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

stefs wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:55 am A good read Andrew and a good review of a really nice watch. In fact it has made me want to try one! If anyone has one they are not getting along with....
If you’re really curious, I’d be happy to swap my AM GT for your Reverso. I know mine was a 50th birthday gift from the whole family, but to have a Reverso...reasonable trade-off in my book! :lol: :lol:
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I have a few chronographs, both quartz and automatic, but none bought at list price.

I have looked a few times at the (valjoux) C7 Rapide automatic chronographs which appear from time to time on eBay at reasonable prices. I like the oversized index numbers, although my wife isn't too impressed. Also, I've spent enough on watches So I am being more careful. I imagine I will be granted capital expenditure approval at some point.
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

Great review. I've been loving mine since the day I purchased it!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk